Getting Rid of Bumble Bees

How do I get rid of bumble bees? They are drilling holes in my porch. Can anyone help me before they demolish it?

By Lynn B. from Big Stone Gap, VA

Answers:

Carpenter Bees

They are not bumble bees. This was posted a few days ago and it tells in the reply post to it what they are and what sprays to use to kill them. They are a constant aggravation and are called carpenter bees that eat through wood.

thriftyfun.com

By theseamstress

Pepper Spray or Decoy

This happened to my adult son's duplex (only with yellow jackets) and his roommate sprayed pepper-spray into the holes and the yellow-jackets left. Watch out! if the wind blows the wrong way, you'll get an eye or a face full of this dangerous stuff. Make sure all kids and pets are in the house and there's no wind at all!

A second (less toxic) idea: Try covering the holes and the surrounding area with high-quality duct tape (not from the dollar store) and see if this discourages them. The barrier and the smell from the duct tape might drive them away.

By Cyinda

Penny in a Bag Full of Water

What you have are carpenter bees. They will also eat holes in screening. I saw a post earlier this week, also in Thriftyfun I think, that recommends putting a penny in a clear plastic bag filled w/water and hanging several of these around the area the bees are attracted to. It's supposed to make them think it is a spider, and they want to avoid spiders. I have since hung some up, and I think it is working! It's an inexpensive solution that is certainly worth a try.

By Tripleb