Becoming Your Own Handyman

Category Home
Home Handyman Working on Outdoor Faucet
Learning how to do your own basic home repairs can save money and allow you to make the fix quickly and efficiently. This is a guide about becoming your own handyman.

"Bill, before you go, would you look at my toilet? It's been running for weeks."

"Sure, Marilyn. Anything for my little sister. Just lead the way."

An hour or so later after . . .

Then and only then, was the original problem, the 79 cent gasket, an easy fix.

Soon after the bathroom debacle, Marilyn enrolled in a continuing education class: Basic Repairs that Anyone Can Do". She figured she could save time and money (and avoid inconveniencing relatives and neighbors) by learning how to repair or replace toilets and other household items on her own.

The instructor of the class, a local handyman, welcomed and reassured the 3 men and fifteen women. Then he told them, "My mother's friend paid $300 for a potty part that costs just $15. My goal is to show you how to avoid similar rip offs and help you keep your homes safe."

The topics to be covered were listed on the chalkboard:

Throughout the 8 week course, Marilyn was a good student. She listened intently, took copious notes, and asked lots of questions.

Soon afterwards, Marilyn hung her own blinds, installed molding around her windows, replaced a J Trap and faucet in her kitchen, mounted a new ceiling fan, and changed a gasket and valve in another toilet (without mishap). All by herself, she did this.

She felt confident that if she got in a bind, her handyman instructor would walk her through the job (for $35 an hour). Or if he needed to take over and do it himself, he'd charge $45. She never needed his assistance, however.

My friend Marilyn is a smart lady.

By Viaux from Miami, Florida

Top Comment

I do all my handyman work my self and have for years. I have done plumbing and minor electrical work. Any thing major I have hired someone but that is rare. My motto is I can fix anything except if it evolves heaving lifting or a lot of muscle. What I can't do I look up to see how to fix. This weekend My friend and I are putting up a glass back splash in her new kitchen. The new kitchen that she and I put all the cabinets together in. The next day I will grout it for her so next time she does tiles she can do the grouting herself. She bought a counter top that she had to have installed. As I said some things are better left to an expert.

Top Comment

I did my own repairs & remodeling. I rented "How to" videos, bought books on remodeling a house and repair work. Remember, if you mess the job up you can always hire someone to fix it the right way. Also remember even if you have an extreme problem it can always be corrected-get 5 estimates first and one of them will come in at the right price. Don't go for the cheapest estimate the parts & labor might be bad. Instead choose the "middle" price & you'll be happy.