Making A Patterned Rug With Clothing Dye

I had an old off white throw rug size 5x10 feet. I took 3 spray bottles. I filled one spray bottle with green RIT dye and a tablespoon of salt, and a tablespoon of laundry detergent. I then took another spray bottle and used RIT blue dye with the salt and laundry detergent. In the third bottle I used RIT brown dye and the salt and laundry detergent. I used a piece of wood 1 inch wide and a half inch thick and 6 feet long.

I did the stripes in the 3 different colors, alternating them so they worked: first brown, then blue, then green, and repeat. I did 10 inch lines, then 5 inch lines, then 10 inch lines, then 5 inch lines, using the brown, blue and green alternating them. The spray bottles makes the color of each strip even. I also labeled each bottle with the color so I didn't mix up the pattern.

By Beth from Cambridge, NY

I'd like to see a pic of the rug!

why the soap and salt? yes, a photo would be nice.

Yes, Please send a photo to show us!

Interesting, but what's the piece of wood for??

I know that salt is used to help the dye set; but I don't know what the detergent is for.

I was wondering about the the piece of wood. Is that to keep the lines of color straight?

Crafts RugsAugust 13, 2007
Washing Machine
Cleaning Fabric Dye from Inside a Washer
ornamental rug
Removing Rug Dye from Carpet
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄