Selling Crafts

Any ideas how to promote my hand crocheted items? I've been doing craft shows and I have a site on It's I've put a lot of time and money into this, but I'm not seeing the rewards. Maybe I'm being a bit impatient, but it's been about 3 months now. Any suggestions how to get my name out there?

By Sheila from Burlington, NJ

Best Answer

I was an eBay seller for several years, and I could sell yard sale finds, small collectibles, clothing items,etc. but had no luck whatsoever in selling my crafts. If you sell them on eBay, you have to be willing to sell them at about 1/3 the price that you can get at a craft show. As a matter of fact, the last craft item that I advertised on eBay was Panoramic Sugar Eggs for Easter. They are large hollow eggs molded from sugar with a peephole in the end and a small figure inside. I started the bid at $4.00 and never got a bid. Craft shows, in my opinion, are the best outlet. And it is a good idea to visit the show and see what kind of attendance they have, take notice of how many people are carrying packages, speak with some of the vendors and ask a few questions before you reserve a space. Another outlet is some areas would be the Farmer's Markets. They primarily sell fresh vegetables, but many also invite you to sell handicraft items. Or another option might be to display your wares in an area that has traffic flow. Perhaps you can find a small business owner who will allow you to set up on the corner of his parking lot. You may have to pay a small fee to interest him, and you will have to check the local laws, because in some cities, you will need a peddler's permit. Depending on what type of crafts you do, you might display them in the beauty shop where you have your hair done. Small items suitable for baby gifts, shower, or wedding gifts would be appropriate. Flea markets and yard sales usually don't work out. People are looking for inexpensive bargains here, and you cannot get a fair price for your goods. I have been crafting for 40 years, and hope some of these tips are helpful to anyone wanting to get started. Many of the patterns that I have submitted to Thrifty Fun are things that I have made and sold at craft shows over the years.

Harlean from Arkansas

Best Answer

Hi Sandy; Have you tried visiting small shops (ie. florists, spas, boutiques) any store that would compliment your craft and ask to display them on consignment? They have nothing to lose and everything to gain if they sell. You can also make a brochure with pictures of your crafts with contact information; and then of course there are the craft fairs and ebay. Good Luck to you!

Best Answer

Have you tried selling them in a yard sale or have a stand at a local flea market?

I don't know if it is a matter of getting your name out there or not. I always figure with things like that, it is a matter of whether or not people want your product, and whether or not they think the prices are too high. If they are scrolling through etsy and come across your items if they want something, they will buy it. Is there a craft consignment store in your area that you could display your items?

How about taking your handmade items to a craft fair like at a school, church, or firehall?

The hat is and the little girl are adorable. It is soooo hard to sell on Etsy, just the right person has to happen across your site. I had jewelry on there for a few months and sold one piece. There are so many others out there doing the same thing on Etsy that the competition is staggering. I think you are on the right track trying to sell them yourself, no one can sell them like you can.

Having said that I am setting up a site currently to sell my crafts and photographs. I will have to work at getting the search engines to find me but I figure it was free to set up the site so what do I have to lose? You might think about setting up a site with a few others, if you have someone computer savy(I'm not but it's a pretty easy site to work with) even better. I used for mine; here is the address if you want to take a look, remember it is still in the fledgling stages. Good luck.

Well, the hat is adorable. If you made hats for a local girl scout, brownie or daisy troop to wear to a big event (a field trip or jamborie), I would bet other troops would ask where they got them and maybe order hats for their girls. You might ask to have a small display in a local boutique, on a trial basis to see if your products sell. If they are popular, the store will likely order more. Also, always wear your product yourself. Then, when people ask where you got the cute hat, sweater, etc., you can give them your details for ordering their own.

Well, ya just did! Your name is "out there" on thriftyfun! Wasn't that easy? Now, try facebook or any of the other social networking sites; get your profile up and invite friends and family to join you. That way, everyone who is a friend on facebook etc. will be linked to you remotely as friends of friends or family. Have them all spread the word from their profiles as well. You have a lovely little model by the way! Good luck and God bless

Packaging is the key. Even if going to the craft shows, are you letting your wares exposes to handling or are they in packages ready to sell as 1 is displayed in front? Are they are hangers? Are they in proper containers? You've got to make them sell-ready because even if you have a great product, it won't sell if the package isn't there to make the difference.

-experience in marketing.

Your crocheted hats look gorgeous. Other options for selling crafts online include eBay and

Good Luck

Tips for Selling Crafts
Tips for Selling Crafts
Crafts Selling CraftsMarch 25, 2010
Glass Block
Selling Glass Block Crafts
Online Shopping
Selling Crafts Online
eBay Logo
Selling On eBay
pink and white bag rug
Selling Recycled Bag Rugs