Tips for Selling Crafts

If you enjoy crafting, you may be considering trying to sell some of your creations. This is a page about tips for selling crafts.

Wherever I go I take my handy craft bag with me. I do a lot of crafts that include sewing and whenever I am waiting for long periods at a time such as at hospital visits I work on my crafts. I always try to take a completed sample with me if the product is small enough and you wouldn't believe how many times I have sold my sample or taken orders by people seeing my work. My advertising just by working on my craft paid off and cost me nothing.

By Ann W. craftingtales.com from Loup City, NE

Save colored onion bag netting for small items. If the bag is open ended, simply tie a knot in one end; fill, allowing approximately 6 inch excess; and cut off remainder.

Prepare a label or gift card on your computer, print, and glue to cardboard (it can be a circle, heart, animal shape, etc.). This card will be folded in half, so print accordingly. After folding card in half, use a hole punch to place one hole in the center (if hole punch won't reach, then fold card and punch on edge).

Open card, twist netting, and run the open end through the hole in the card (so it will be on the inside of the folded card). Twist netting again and tie a loose knot. Cut off any excess netting. Fold the card and use one staple to close. This would be great for craft shows or gifts.

By Ann from Mineola, TX

I want to share with you a lovely site for handcrafted goods. The admins are a lovely couple and they put a lot of work and time into it. It costs 5 dollars a month and they don't take commission on the items you sell. All they expect is that the items be handcrafted by you, the seller. Check them out, it is handmadeartists.com

I wasn't asked to do this. I just have some strong convictions about sweat shop merchandise.

Link: https://handmadeartists.com

Any ideas how to promote my hand crocheted items? I've been doing craft shows and I have a site on Etsy.com. It's notjusthats.etsy.com. I've put a lot of time and money into this, but I'm not seeing the rewards. Maybe I'm being a bit impatient, but it's been about 3 months now. Any suggestions how to get my name out there?

By sheila from Burlington, NJ

Answers

Best Answer

I was an eBay seller for several years, and I could sell yard sale finds, small collectibles, clothing items,etc. but had no luck whatsoever in selling my crafts. If you sell them on eBay, you have to be willing to sell them at about 1/3 the price that you can get at a craft show. As a matter of fact, the last craft item that I advertised on eBay was Panoramic Sugar Eggs for Easter. They are large hollow eggs molded from sugar with a peephole in the end and a small figure inside. I started the bid at $4.00 and never got a bid. Craft shows, in my opinion, are the best outlet. And it is a good idea to visit the show and see what kind of attendance they have, take notice of how many people are carrying packages, speak with some of the vendors and ask a few questions before you reserve a space. Another outlet is some areas would be the Farmer's Markets. They primarily sell fresh vegetables, but many also invite you to sell handicraft items.

Or another option might be to display your wares in an area that has traffic flow. Perhaps you can find a small business owner who will allow you to set up on the corner of his parking lot. You may have to pay a small fee to interest him, and you will have to check the local laws, because in some cities, you will need a peddler's permit. Depending on what type of crafts you do, you might display them in the beauty shop where you have your hair done. Small items suitable for baby gifts, shower, or wedding gifts would be appropriate. Flea markets and yard sales usually don't work out. People are looking for inexpensive bargains here, and you cannot get a fair price for your goods. I have been crafting for 40 years, and hope some of these tips are helpful to anyone wanting to get started. Many of the patterns that I have submitted to Thrifty Fun are things that I have made and sold at craft shows over the years.

Harlean from Arkansas

By Karen, East Hampton Ct (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Hi Sandy; Have you tried visiting small shops (ie. florists, spas, boutiques) any store that would compliment your craft and ask to display them on consignment? They have nothing to lose and everything to gain if they sell. You can also make a brochure with pictures of your crafts with contact information; and then of course there are the craft fairs and ebay. Good Luck to you!

Best Answer

Have you tried selling them in a yard sale or have a stand at a local flea market?

I want to make things to sell, but I am not good on sewing or jewelry making.

By Rebecca L.

Answers

Best Answer

If you want to sell things that you have made, you need to develop the skills and experience in a craft or crafts such as knitting, crochet, painting-oil & watercolor, pottery, woodworking, metalurgy, etc.

Choose a craft and dedicate yourself to the ongoing learning and continual practice it will take to achieve the skill level to produce items to sell. This will require many months, at least, and perhaps years before you can start to sell your crafts. Good Luck!

If you were making them to sell for a charity, how much would you ask for them? How much do they sell for?

By Brenda

Answers

Best Answer

Depends on the size. If you make the mask ones for headache $5.00, then go up a couple dollars for each one until you get to the big ones. I sell big ones for $15.00 to $20.00. Make sure you have information to send with them for use. Hype it up like it is a new idea or breakthrough and you will sell more.

Where do you sell handcrafted items? I need some ideas.

Answers

I sell on ebay and do great. Picking the right catagory to list is key. For hand crafted Items they actually have sections just for those. when you start your selling on the item first do a catagory search by putting in what it is your selling and it will direct you as to the best selling catagory to choose. Also I have heard good results for hand crafted items sold on etsy.com

I'm looking for a way to display children's aprons and chef hats at my local market day. I looked into buying a mannequin, but they are very expensive. Is it possible to make one? I plan one having my daughters modeling them. I just don't know how to hang or display what I have for sale. Thanks in advance.

By Kristina Gonzales from south TX

If I buy denim at a thrift store and paint it, can I put my own label on the denim to resell?

Pam

I Love this Website, it is so neat. All the ideas are wonderful and my kids love the activities. For a few years now I have had the idea to have my own business with talents like crafting, sewing, etc. I need suggestions on what customers would like to buy from a small town business. I want my talents to help those around me to live, love and learn about life. Please can anyone help me? Thank You very much in advance.

Michelle from Ohio

Answers

Michelle,
I have gotten a lot of satisfaction out of teaching other people how to do the crafts that I enjoy so much - I teach at local school Continuing Education programs - rubber stamping, bead work, quilting, tote bag making, stenciling - it is great fun and lower overhead than making items for sale. You also get your name out there if you do custom work to order.

Good luck!

By Lynda (Guest Post)

I've moved 22 times from coast to coast, lived in many states, and Hawaii, and find that although people are basically the same, their talents, interests, goals, and values are widely variable.

It makes sense to me that several Garden Centers might not be needed in a colder area. That if the community is a farming community, it would be interested in country crafts, farming, animal husbandry, things that appeal to their heritage and occupations? That they might not be so interested in say, fashion, or hair styles, but more interested in "natural" things? On the other hand, I've lived where the folks are very vain, and all they can think about is the "grass being greener on the other side of the fence", never satisfied with what they have near by, always wanting what is in the nearest big city. You must get to know these folks around you, if you do not. Look in the phone directory, if there is one, to see what is lacking. Check with the chamber of commerce there to see if they can suggest a type of business that's needed most. Of course, it makes sense, also, that you should do what you KNOW HOW to do, or have an interest in, that ALSO agrees with what is needed.

For example, if one doesn't like to cook, or manage
records and money well, a small restaurant would be hard to succeed in. But, a bed and breakfast home
might be easy to manage if you are willing to deal with strangers overnight who travel and expect something for their money, AND if you are a friendly domestic type.

Do you have training in anything? Do you do crafts, quilting, painting, sculpting, or silk screening? Can
you teach any of these things? Education in simple
basic crafts seems to be in demand by those who
are not taught at home. Is your community artsy, or crafty? Do they have fairs, craft shows? What is the
pulse of the majority of who lives there? Does it offer any sort of attraction for those from other communities?

In Hawaii, it was all about flowers, fruit, and perfumes in everyting from paper to shoes

In Connecticut, it was all about marine items, antiques, oil painting and traditions.

In San Francisco, it was all about ethnic diversity, art,
food, tourism, and earthquakes/history.

In MInnesota, it was so cold, no one ever came outside so they were scholars and tough athletes.

In Houston, they were about oil, money, travel, and
importing items.

In Tennessee, it was all about scouting, camping,
mountain themes, church, and getting to meet others.

IN Maine, it was art and museums, lighthouses, beachfront property and farms.

IN Vancouver, BC, it was about islands, natives, variety, travel, and museums/unusual attractions,
botanical gardens, lawn sports, and British culture
mixed with Canadian/French/American, with an overtone of Native heritage and wild animals.

Hope this helps you to choose wisely and do your homework? Good luck and God bless you. : )

I like the previous posts. I hope they give you some good ideas.

I think people love to learn about themselves. How about digging up some local history and using that in your business, maybe teaching local history and crafts to children or local groups? Once you start talking to people, you'll have more than enough stories and info to keep you going.

First: Lynda...You rock. Thank you for your words of wisdom. And sign in!! We need members like you.

second: Teaching people to make crafts is very profitable. More so than making them. There is a place that teaches sewing nearby and they get $16 to teach a class on how to make pajama pants(these are really easy to make). You need to bring your own fabric and sewing machine! If you get ten to sign up, thats $160 for 2-3 hours.

Are there any laws against selling crafts in front of your house? Like a table full of koolaid handbags?

giftsandbags.com from Miami

Answers

Oh, I am sure there are laws about such things. I think you should call your city offices and ask someone there. You will probably get a person that doesn't have a clue, but maybe they can refer you to someone else. Plan to spend some time on the phone, especially if you get one of those irritating automated voice menus that tell you options to press and none of the options are what you want!! The laws that are in effect may only be for someone that makes a certain amount in income from the sales of their craft. You may have to apply for a tax registration from the state so you can pay sales tax. Maybe there is a lawyer that you can call in your area to ask a few questions over the phone? Good luck in your future business.

Thanks I'll go down the street and ask. I just hate having to go thru this.

I would just go through the same procedures your city allows for garage sales. Post signs that say "Sale" instead of garage sale. I have seen many signs that just say "sale". Good Luck!

Better check with your city. Where I live, this would qualify as a yard sale. We are only allowed two per year and you have to buy a license to have one or you will be fined.

How do I price hand-knit lace edging for sale? I have started knitting lace edging, 1 to 4 inches wide, and would like to sell some of it. I'm guessing it's priced by the square inch, but how much $$? I haven't found new hand-knit lace edging anywhere on the internet, only secondhand 'antique' or 'vintage' lace on Ebay and other sites. Some of my edging takes an hour to knit an inch, so I can't charge by the hour. Thanks very much.

Jantoo from Kenosha Co, WI

I have a variety of craft items to sell, but not necessarily a large quantity and want to sell them as best as I can. Please advise. Thank you.

Marian

What is a good item that I can make to sell at yard sales?

By Debra

I am good in craft work; I produce some craft things, but I don't know what are the best ways to sell my product. Can someone please give me some ideas?

By kalidas from Coimbatore, Tamilnadu

Where do I sell my hand crafted baskets, butterflies, dragonflies, and bugs?

By Twist my Stick

Load More

Crafts Selling CraftsFebruary 10, 2013
😎
🐛
🌻
📓
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Tips-for-Selling-Crafts.html