Tips for Selling Crafts

Tips for Selling Crafts
If you enjoy crafting, you may be considering trying to sell some of your creations. This is a guide about tips for selling crafts.

Wherever I go I take my handy craft bag with me. I do a lot of crafts that include sewing and whenever I am waiting for long periods at a time such as at hospital visits I work on my crafts. I always try to take a completed sample with me if the product is small enough and you wouldn't believe how many times I have sold my sample or taken orders by people seeing my work. My advertising just by working on my craft paid off and cost me nothing.

By Ann from Loup City, NE

Save colored onion bag netting for small items. If the bag is open ended, simply tie a knot in one end; fill, allowing approximately 6 inch excess; and cut off remainder.

Prepare a label or gift card on your computer, print, and glue to cardboard (it can be a circle, heart, animal shape, etc.). This card will be folded in half, so print accordingly. After folding card in half, use a hole punch to place one hole in the center (if hole punch won't reach, then fold card and punch on edge).

Open card, twist netting, and run the open end through the hole in the card (so it will be on the inside of the folded card). Twist netting again and tie a loose knot. Cut off any excess netting. Fold the card and use one staple to close. This would be great for craft shows or gifts.

By Ann from Mineola, TX

I want to share with you a lovely site for handcrafted goods. The admins are a lovely couple and they put a lot of work and time into it. It costs 5 dollars a month and they don't take commission on the items you sell. All they expect is that the items be handcrafted by you, the seller. Check them out, it is handmadeartists.com

I wasn't asked to do this. I just have some strong convictions about sweat shop merchandise.

Link: https://handmadeartists.com

Any ideas how to promote my hand crocheted items? I've been doing craft shows and I have a site on Etsy.com. It's notjusthats.etsy.com. I've put a lot of time and money into this, but I'm not seeing the rewards. Maybe I'm being a bit impatient, but it's been about 3 months now. Any suggestions how to get my name out there?

By Sheila from Burlington, NJ

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

I was an eBay seller for several years, and I could sell yard sale finds, small collectibles, clothing items,etc. but had no luck whatsoever in selling my crafts. If you sell them on eBay, you have to be willing to sell them at about 1/3 the price that you can get at a craft show. As a matter of fact, the last craft item that I advertised on eBay was Panoramic Sugar Eggs for Easter. They are large hollow eggs molded from sugar with a peephole in the end and a small figure inside. I started the bid at $4.00 and never got a bid. Craft shows, in my opinion, are the best outlet. And it is a good idea to visit the show and see what kind of attendance they have, take notice of how many people are carrying packages, speak with some of the vendors and ask a few questions before you reserve a space. Another outlet is some areas would be the Farmer's Markets. They primarily sell fresh vegetables, but many also invite you to sell handicraft items. Or another option might be to display your wares in an area that has traffic flow. Perhaps you can find a small business owner who will allow you to set up on the corner of his parking lot. You may have to pay a small fee to interest him, and you will have to check the local laws, because in some cities, you will need a peddler's permit. Depending on what type of crafts you do, you might display them in the beauty shop where you have your hair done. Small items suitable for baby gifts, shower, or wedding gifts would be appropriate. Flea markets and yard sales usually don't work out. People are looking for inexpensive bargains here, and you cannot get a fair price for your goods. I have been crafting for 40 years, and hope some of these tips are helpful to anyone wanting to get started. Many of the patterns that I have submitted to Thrifty Fun are things that I have made and sold at craft shows over the years.

Harlean from Arkansas

Best Answer

Hi Sandy; Have you tried visiting small shops (ie. florists, spas, boutiques) any store that would compliment your craft and ask to display them on consignment? They have nothing to lose and everything to gain if they sell. You can also make a brochure with pictures of your crafts with contact information; and then of course there are the craft fairs and ebay. Good Luck to you!

Best Answer

Have you tried selling them in a yard sale or have a stand at a local flea market?

I want to make things to sell, but I am not good on sewing or jewelry making.

By Rebecca L.

Best Answer

If you want to sell things that you have made, you need to develop the skills and experience in a craft or crafts such as knitting, crochet, painting-oil & watercolor, pottery, woodworking, metalurgy, etc.

Choose a craft and dedicate yourself to the ongoing learning and continual practice it will take to achieve the skill level to produce items to sell. This will require many months, at least, and perhaps years before you can start to sell your crafts. Good Luck!

If you were making them to sell for a charity, how much would you ask for them? How much do they sell for?

By Brenda

Best Answer

Depends on the size. If you make the mask ones for headache $5.00, then go up a couple dollars for each one until you get to the big ones. I sell big ones for $15.00 to $20.00. Make sure you have information to send with them for use. Hype it up like it is a new idea or breakthrough and you will sell more.

What crafts are selling these days?

By Annie from NH

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Where do you sell handcrafted items? I need some ideas.

I sell on ebay and do great. Picking the right catagory to list is key. For hand crafted Items they actually have sections just for those. when you start your selling on the item first do a catagory search by putting in what it is your selling and it will direct you as to the best selling catagory to choose. Also I have heard good results for hand crafted items sold on etsy.com

I just ran across a great site called etsy.com. They have some wonderful handmade items and anyone can post/sell there.

lisa

You could sell them at a farmers market or flee market in the area where you live.

Go to the Goodwill, Salvation Army etc. parking lot (ask their manager for permission first and then sell away).

I agree with Lisa, Etsy.com is a better and cheap choice. They have a long term to show the product, up to six month for the same ammount and you can received a payments via paypal.

Etsy: Marketplace for handmade products. Buy and sell housewares, clothing, accessories, artwork, needlecraft, and much more.

www.etsy.com

Jmerinka7

Here are several places you can sell some handmades

that I found a link to here:

http://www.prim  ine_auctions.htm

Please visit SILKFAIR ( http://www.silkfair.com ). We are a new online general goods marketplace, and will be offering a new dedicated indie site shortly. Products for sale at indie site will be listed in our main marketplace.

Currently, we offer free store / listings, and you'll be able to forward your own domain name and be supported by our system. In addition, we support full PayPal and GoogleCheckout integration.

You can test-drive our system in our sandbox, which is accessible from our home page at http://www.silkfair.com .

I'm looking for a way to display children's aprons and chef hats at my local market day. I looked into buying a mannequin, but they are very expensive. Is it possible to make one? I plan one having my daughters modeling them. I just don't know how to hang or display what I have for sale. Thanks in advance.

By Kristina from south TX

You might try making a two-dimensional "mannequin" by cutting the shoulders of a child out of something like foam board, and putting it on a post of some sort or hang it from a wall display.

If you have some pegboard, you could even just put them on hangers and hang those from hooks on the pegboard.

I hope this helps!

I have seen displays using folding tables with them piled neatly and a few hung on a short clothes line with old fashioned clothes pins. GG Vi

Thanks wild irish. I hadn't thought of two dimensional mannequins! Easier to transport and I can make them myself and decorate them to match my booth. Cheap too! This really helps :)

Are there any laws against selling crafts in front of your house? Like a table full of koolaid handbags?

giftsandbags.com from Miami

Oh, I am sure there are laws about such things. I think you should call your city offices and ask someone there. You will probably get a person that doesn't have a clue, but maybe they can refer you to someone else. Plan to spend some time on the phone, especially if you get one of those irritating automated voice menus that tell you options to press and none of the options are what you want!! The laws that are in effect may only be for someone that makes a certain amount in income from the sales of their craft. You may have to apply for a tax registration from the state so you can pay sales tax. Maybe there is a lawyer that you can call in your area to ask a few questions over the phone? Good luck in your future business.

Thanks I'll go down the street and ask. I just hate having to go thru this.

I would just go through the same procedures your city allows for garage sales. Post signs that say "Sale" instead of garage sale. I have seen many signs that just say "sale". Good Luck!

Better check with your city. Where I live, this would qualify as a yard sale. We are only allowed two per year and you have to buy a license to have one or you will be fined.

I would say how successful you would be would depend on your neighborhood. If it is high traffic you would probably do alright without advertising.

I have a variety of craft items to sell, but not necessarily a large quantity and want to sell them as best as I can. Please advise. Thank you.

Marian

What is a good item that I can make to sell at yard sales?

By Debra

I am good in craft work; I produce some craft things, but I don't know what are the best ways to sell my product. Can someone please give me some ideas?

By Kalidas from Coimbatore, Tamilnadu

I lost my job last year and haven't had any luck finding something else. I have recently had access to unlimited material in very old ratty looking clothing. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can make from this recycled material to make money, at least for all of my medications? Thank you for your input.

By Karen

Has anyone had any luck with selling your home-made crafts? I am looking for a way to make extra income.

By suzieq71 from Horton, AL

Answers:

Selling Crafts

Do you have any places close to you where they have events that would be complementary to your crafts. Okay like the city I live in is Quilt City, USA and a lot of people set up booths when quilt week is here. People come from all over the world for this week, so people set up booths to sell they homemade items and do a really good business at it. (05/20/2009)

By micksgirl

Selling Crafts

My aunt and I wanted to sell our crafty makes also. What we do is we have a monthly "yard sale" and put our things out. People love buying one of a kind, homemade things, specially if they're useful and don't look homemade at all. (08/02/2009)

By keiry06

What's the best way to sell my handmade crafts?

Sandy from Bluff City, TN

Answers:

Selling Crafts

Visit eBay. You can sell anything on there and handmade, one of a kind crafts are hotcakes. Good luck. (01/25/2007)

By smcarney

Selling Crafts

Try estsy.com. Of course, you can also sell them at local craft shows. (01/26/2007)

By Jean

Selling Crafts

I don't know what the best way is, but there's several ways you can try. Ebay is a good choice of course, then you can do craft fairs. Also, seek out gift shops or even a gift shop at a local hospital. Some shops do consignment so that's something to consider. What kinds of crafts do you do? (01/26/2007)

By Debbie52

Selling Crafts

I was an eBay seller for several years, and I could sell yard sale finds, small collectibles, clothing items, etc., but had no luck whatsoever in selling my crafts. If you sell them on eBay, you have to be willing to sell them at about 1/3 the price that you can get at a craft show. As a matter of fact, the last craft item that I advertised on eBay was Panoramic Sugar Eggs for Easter. They are large hollow eggs molded from sugar with a peephole in the end and a small figure inside. I started the bid at $4.00 and never got a bid.

Craft shows, in my opinion, are the best outlet. And it is a good idea to visit the show and see what kind of attendance they have, take notice of how many people are carrying packages, speak with some of the vendors and ask a few questions before you reserve a space. Another outlet is some areas would be the Farmer's Markets. They primarily sell fresh vegetables, but many also invite you to sell handicraft items. Or another option might be to display your wares in an area that has traffic flow.

Perhaps you can find a small business owner who will allow you to set up on the corner of his parking lot. You may have to pay a small fee to interest him, and you will have to check the local laws, because in some cities, you will need a peddler's permit. Depending on what type of crafts you do, you might display them in the beauty shop where you have your hair done. Small items suitable for baby gifts, showers, or wedding gifts would be appropriate.

Flea markets and yard sales usually don't work out. People are looking for inexpensive bargains here, and you cannot get a fair price for your goods. I have been crafting for 40 years, and hope some of these tips are helpful to anyone wanting to get started. Many of the patterns that I have submitted to Thrifty Fun are things that I have made and sold at craft shows over the years. Harlean from Arkansas (01/26/2007)

By Harlean from AR

Selling Crafts

I have a local store and my advice would be, "word of mouth". I do agree that if it is homemade people shopping for regular items just don't want to cut loose with the money. They will if it's word of mouth, or in a gift store. My friend sells pecans and gets $2.00 for my hand painted letter openers in her gift shop, but I sell them in my store and can only get a dollar, go figure. Also, if it is a useful item you might want to try the local auction if you have one. Hope this helps. (01/27/2007)

By DeniseW

Selling Crafts

www.etsy.com is the best place on the internet to sell craft goods. You can also get customers through www.craftster.org by posting your wares and getting feedback.

I find it is great to use the items you sell and have business cards on hand for when people ask about the item. If you go to craft shows make sure your items are reasonably priced and that you have plenty of stock. You'll find that most of your business will build up by word of mouth. And if you want to sell your item try to make something that hasn't been made yet, or change something so it will be needed.

You'll find items won't sell if people can just get them anywhere. I find my crafty items sell really high on eBay. There is a woman who sells crocheted scarves of food items, and she makes an absolute fortune on eBay selling them. ($400 USD for a scarf of cupcakes). It's all about making something that people want enough to pay for it. Just my thoughts. (01/27/2007)

By Alicia

Selling Crafts

If you have enough, attend craft shows. Setting up a booth is a job at first, but once you do it a couple of times you fine tune it and it becomes much easier. I always enjoy the socialization at the shows myself. The fees for the booths vary.

You can also sell them through existing internet businesses to dropship. This is where you agree on a price with the business, they then advertise and list your item at a price that they will make a dollar or two. When it sells, they notify you, pay you the agreed upon price and you ship the item to the customer. It works out well, too. You only have the responsibility of photographing the items and describing them and then shipping them to the purchaser. A lot of work at home moms, like our business, do this type of transaction. You might want to check out yahoo groups for WAHM's. Hope this helps. Cheryl
(01/28/2007)

By hvnlyhills