Barbie Doll and Clothes "Trunk"

I made these decorated "Barbie Doll Clothes Trunks" for my great-granddaughter who loved her Barbie dolls and wanted to take them everywhere she went along with every shoe, purse, and dress those dolls owned.

I am surprised at how well they held up over the years. The wine boxes are amazingly sturdy.

The trunks are very easy to make. Just a matter of cutting and pasting for the most part. You may (as I did) choose to paint the box first, then just embellish it anyway that you like.

I spent almost nothing to make the trunks, just using up materials and supplies that I already had left over from other projects.

It took me about 4 hours total of actual working time to complete the 2 trunks.

Approximate Time: 1 hour for painting, then overnight to dry. The next day, allow 1 to 2 hours to cut out and paste whatever you choose to decorate the "trunk" with. Again, you'll need to allow drying time for the glue now. I let it sit overnight again and it was enough.

• small wooden wine box "trunk" or "suitcase"
  • scissors
  • Elmer's Glue-All
  • acrylic paint
  • water and paint brush
  • bits and pieces of ribbon, silk flowers, lace, wallpaper, or other decorative items

Instructions:

1. Look for, (beg for, if necessary), the wooden wine boxes that often include 3 bottles of wine, or maybe they have 2 bottles of wine and 2 wine-glasses sometimes. They are ideal for one Barbie doll and her clothing.
  2. Begin by cleaning the box of anything that's not needed, like dividers or labels.
  3. Sand lightly, and dust.
  4. Paint with the acrylic paint of your chosen color, giving the box time to dry between several coats of paint, then allow it to dry thoroughly overnight.

5. The following day, use all of your imagination to decorate the box however you like. I used small satin ribbon and velvet ribbons all around edges in various areas, and tied ribbon knots here and there.
  6. Using wallpaper sample books, I just cut to size and glued in place (inside and out) until I was happy with what I'd done.
  7. I love adding silk flowers anywhere I can fit them in, and this is a good way to use up ones you've bought at a yard or tag sale.
  8. If you are really patient, you might enjoy filling the finished trunk up with handmade doll clothes for Barbie. They are so tiny that it takes patience to make nice ones.

Barbie fits in the "trunk" along with her clothes so that she's always ready to spend the night at Grandma's with your little granddaughter. Lucky you!

Having 2 Barbie dolls meant they each had to have their own trunk...so I made 2.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

Great job. Very pretty. Thanks for the idea and photos. I just happen to have a wooden wine box.

I love these little doll trunks! What a nice job you did of decorating them too. I don't have a wine box, but I'm going to keep an eye out for one or for something else that I can use.

Thanks for sharing, Pookarina.

Songwriter

What I would have given for something like this to keep all my dollie's clothes in when I was a kid. This had to be a labor of love for you. It might not be as hard to do as it looks, but it certainly did turn out pretty.

Thank you Pookarina for sharing these darling little "trunks for dollies". Such a darling idea.

MisMachado

I have friends who are wine drinkers and I'm sure they must have at least one of these boxes lying around somewhere. I can see many other reasons for making these decorated boxes, and I'm sure I'll think of something. Yours are just beautiful.

I especially like it that you've decorated both the inside as well as the outside. That really makes them special. They would make excellent Keepsake storage boxes for all the cards and letters I get from my kids and hubby. Thanks Pookarina.

ww

These are beautiful and you did a great job! Thanks for the idea and keep up the good work. :)

What a beautiful box! Your great grandaughter is very lucky to have you. I'm sure she will always remember this.

Beautiful use of something that I'd not have known what to do with but add it to the collection of odds and ends already in the garage. Too nice to throw out, but I wouldn't have thought about making the wine box into a nice little storage box. Great idea. This is the kind of thing I enjoy doing too. I just don't have the imagination. Your instructions are really clear and easy to understand.

Thank you Julia.

Lee

Homemade Barbie Hats From Styrofoam
Barbie Doll Clothing Crafts
Crafts ToysJanuary 6, 2011
mini hangers
DIY Paper Clip Barbie Clothes Hangers
Diagram of how to make a clothes pin rocking chair.
Making a Clothes Pin Chair
Barbie Doll
Restoring a Barbie Doll
Barbie
Saving Money on Barbie Accessories
🎉
🎄