Looking For Okra Recipes

I am looking for okra recipes, other than breaded, if there is such a thing even? A friend gave me a bunch and thought I would give them a try.

Theresa from Mount Olive

I put okra in curry and stew. We also eat it raw.

Cantate

It can also be pickled, in brine with garlic and dill. Yum!

I cut up okra and saute it in a small amount of olive oil along with whatever else I may have growing in the garden. We call it garden ratatouille.

Okra, squash, tomatoes, onions, garlic, green beans, or whatever veggie is available. Cut it all up into bite size pieces and saute in olive oil until done, perhaps 15 minutes.

This is one of our favorite dishes during the summer and we eat lots of it!

It's good in gumbo, soup & smothered in a fry pan with a little water, some chopped tomatoes & onions, & a tablespoon or so of vinegar to cut the slime. Cook until done.

I like boiled okra every one on a while. If I have any left over, the next day I add flour and what ever seasonings Im in the mood for and make okra patties. Just fry them up like potato cakes.

Being from the south this is the way I was taught.

1) Wash and cut up your okra. Saute in melted butter with onion, salt and pepper till tender.

2) Wash and cut up. Dredge in corn meal or flour. Deep fry till golden brown, drain well and serve.

Go to www.recipezaar.com, there are over 200 different recipes for okra.

Partially boil the okra in a little water, add diced or stewed tomatoes (I like rotelle for this purpose). Than add a spring of rosemary and a little mrs. dash. Simmer till done.

I love pickled okra. Wash them, pierce each with a knife, pack into canning jars, and use your favorite brine recipe (from homemade pickles), then process. YUM!

The secret to good okra if you don't care for the slimy consistency, is to saute it in olive oil first, then add other ingredients. I usually add chopped onion and bell pepper, and continue to saute it. Then I may add a chopped green tomato. Sometimes we eat it this way, and sometimes I also add a couple chopped ripe tomatoes and simmer it for a few minutes.Season it to taste.

Harlean from Arkansas

I just stir-fry up bite size pieces in butter until getting crispy. If over cooked, they shriveled a lot. If undercooked, they are too slimy for me. lol.

Sliced okra on pile of fresh okra
Recipes Using Okra
Food and Recipes Recipes VegetablesJune 30, 2008
fried okra
Cooking Okra
Pickled Okra
Pickled Okra Recipes
Small isolated okra with more in the background.
Freezing Okra
Okra Plant with Blue Sky in Background
Growing Okra
🎄