Freezing Okra

Category Vegetables
Okra is an essential ingredient for making Creole style gumbo, or even turkey gumbo after Thanksgiving. Fresh okra do not keep for very long, so freezing young tender okra provides some for future cooking. This is a guide about freezing okra.

Selecting High-Quality Okra:

Select young tender pods with a velvety green appearance, that have a firm, crisp texture and snap easily. Pods should not look limp, pitted or shriveled. The best pods are usually between 2 and 4 inches. The smooth varieties freeze better than the ridged varieties because they don't split as readily.

Preparing for Freezing:

Wash and pat dry. Remove the stems at the end of the seed cells, but do not cut open and expose the seed cell.

Blanching Time:

Water-blanch smaller pods for 3 minutes and larger pods for 4 minutes. Steam-blanch for 4 to 6 minutes respectively. Cool promptly and drain. Leave okra whole or slice it crosswise.

Best Freezing Method(s):

Tray Packs

Use this method if you intend to use okra for frying. Wash and prepare okra. Blanch according to size. Cool and drain. Slice crosswise and dredge with meal or flour. Spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet and tray-freeze until firm. Once firm, transfer okra quickly to suitable containers, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Seal, label and freeze.

Dry Packs

Clean and prepare okra. Blanch as directed. Cool and drain. Leave whole or slice crosswise. Pack in suitable containers. Seal, label and freeze.

Suitable Packaging:

Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should provide protection against absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Suitable packaging for freezing okra includes freezer-grade plastic bags, rigid plastic containers or glass containers and heavy-duty foil or foil containers.

Maximum Storage Time:

10 to 12 months at 0ºF.

Thawing:

Add frozen okra to cooked dishes without thawing.

Tips & Shortcuts:

The amount okra needed to fill a 1-pint freezer bag is approximately _ pound.

Refrigerating Okra:

To stay fresh, it's important to keep okra dry in the refrigerator. Store in a perforated plastic bag in the warmest parts of the fridge (the inside door) for 5 to 7 days.

What is the best way to freeze okra?

By D H

Answers

Determine the way that it will be used after thawing. I assume it will be cut for frying? I always saw the freezer bags come out with pre-cut okra ready for batter. I'm guessing a quick blanching and directly into a bag. After cooling ... freeze and store up to one year before the next crop?

Wash it. Let it dry then put it in freezer bags. Easy.

Okra is the simplest thing that there is to can. I just cut off both ends and slice it to the desired thickness and put it in a ziplock bag.

I use the same method as Lilac-wash, let dry and freeze. Blanching is not necessary for okra. I do put mine on a tray, freeze it, then bag while still frozen. This keeps it from clumping together so that you can remove just the amount you want to use and put the rest of the bag back in the freezer. If I plan to use it sliced, I do the slicing before freezing. Keeps from having to use extra freezer bags, as well as using immediately from freezer as opposed to waiting for it to thaw.

How do I freeze fresh okra? Do I need to blanch it first?

By Evangela from Charleston, SC

Answers

Nope, no blanching needed. Wash it, dry it very good, cut it up and pack it in a freezer bag, then double bag it into another freezer bag (to prevent freezer burn). If you want to bread it for freezing, just put the corn meal into the freezer bag, then the okra and shake it well. Don't use too much corn meal, a little goes a long way :) If you're freezing it whole, I think you'd do better to can it. But that's just my opinion!

Check this link out. I'm sure it'll help you out!
http://www.ehow  freeze-okra.html

A neighbor told me of a new method she has tried and loves it. Just cut the okra, lightly wash and dry. Place whole pods in freezer bags and use as you need it. It is also great on the grill.

I freeze my okra about the same way as blackbeararts. Wash and dry , then slice it crosswise. But instead of using freezer bags such as Ziplocks, I use paper lunch bags. I take 3 bags, insert one inside the other. Fill them about 3/4 full, fold down the tops and staple them shut. These bags will keep very well for up to a year with no freezer burn, and very little frost inside the bag. They will not clump together. You can use part of the bag and re-staple and return to the freezer. I always label the bag with a sharpy Marker noting the contents, "Okra" and the date I prepared it. Always use the oldest packages first.
Harlean from Arkansas

How do you prepare battered okra for freezing?

Betty from Waycross, GA

Answers

The best way to freeze okra is whole and unblanched. When ready to fry, let it thaw just enough to cut it, then batter and fry.

I have froze battered okra by cutting, in slices, then coat with cornmeal. Do not wash okra first, it needs to be dry. Then just bag in freezer bags and store in freezer. I have done this many times and it always turns out well. Good Luck

Wash and drain okra well. Slice, coat with flour or cornmeal, spread on cookie sheet. Freeze then put in zip-lock bags. If you want to use to saute with onion and tomato, skip the meal before freezing. To freeze the small pods, put them on the cookie sheet, freeze and bag. You can pour out the correct amount without thawing.

I would like to know how to prepare sliced okra for freezing.

Richard from Anthony, NM

Answers:

Preparing Okra for Freezing

If you want to freeze it whole. Select small pods. Cut a tiny bit into the top not cutting into the pod. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add one teaspoon vinegar. Add okra and blanch about 3 minutes. Pour through a colander and drain. Then add to a pan of ice water to chill. Drain and bag. Or you can cut off both ends and slice.

For breading okra, salt and pepper, beat a egg or two according to the amount you have. Use self rising meal and self rising flour to coat well. I mix mine with my hands. Deep fry about 5 minutes or until light brown. Freeze on cookie sheet and bag when frozen. When ready to use put the frozen okra in deep fryer and finish the browning. Enjoy! (08/09/2006)

By Faye

Preparing Okra for Freezing

I just cut off the both ends of the okra slice and put in freezer bags. No blanching is needed. Can be used frozen in gumbos, stews etc. or thawed and then fried. (08/10/2006)

By ladylynnk