Freezing Okra

What is the best way to freeze okra?

By D H

Determine the way that it will be used after thawing. I assume it will be cut for frying? I always saw the freezer bags come out with pre-cut okra ready for batter. I'm guessing a quick blanching and directly into a bag. After cooling ... freeze and store up to one year before the next crop?

Wash it. Let it dry then put it in freezer bags. Easy.

Okra is the simplest thing that there is to can. I just cut off both ends and slice it to the desired thickness and put it in a ziplock bag.

I use the same method as Lilac-wash, let dry and freeze. Blanching is not necessary for okra. I do put mine on a tray, freeze it, then bag while still frozen. This keeps it from clumping together so that you can remove just the amount you want to use and put the rest of the bag back in the freezer.

If I plan to use it sliced, I do the slicing before freezing. Keeps from having to use extra freezer bags, as well as using immediately from freezer as opposed to waiting for it to thaw.