Growing Flower Bed Okra Plants

Category Vegetables
Flower Bed Okra Plants
Flower bed okra is a strain of okra developed by a man in Texas, that grows like a shrub with many branches and gets over 5 feet tall. This seed variety doesn't appear to be mass produced.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

These are pictures of my okra plants. I purchase seeds from a man in Texas who developed this strain and have been using his special seeds for years. He calls it Flower Bed Okra, although I don't know why. They are more like small trees. (Smile)

The plants are quite big and really grow lots of branches. I plant them about 3 feet apart, and they almost touch one another in the rows. Two or three of these plants give my husband and I all the okra we need. This year I only have two plants. They take a little longer to start producing, but they will continue producing until frost.

One little trick that he told me about that works very well is to soak the seeds in bleach for about an hour, rinse in clear water, and then plant them in the ground.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, Arkansas

Flower Bed Okra Plants

Flower Bed Okra Plants

Comment Like this photo? Yes

I'm looking for more information on flower bed okra. How do I get some seeds?

Thanks.

Answers

I feel dumb. I have been gardening on and off for years and do not know the term "flower bed" Okra. Can you please explain? I know this is not answering your question about getting seeds.

I need to understand the term as there are Okra seeds in just about every catalog I see and even in the Dollar General and Dollar stores so I am not sure what the difference is between what I am seeing and flower bed seeds.

Bonnie Plants does have the planes, which Im sure will produce seeds for next year.

Make sure you have a long enough growing season. It needs 75 days

I think this is where the Flower Bed Okra term comes from:

www.thriftyfun.com/tf27776449.tip.html

That was posted in 2006 so we may not be able to get any more information about it. The man in Texas who developed may no longer be selling it but it would be worth sending him a letter to see.

Thanks Jess!! I never heard that term before so this is helpful!!

Sadly my favorite garden queen is growing things in heaven these days so I can't ask her. She knew everything :(

I googled it and was surprised that ThriftyFun was basically the only source for the term online. Perhaps BigJon250 will have some clarification for us.

Home and Garden Gardening Growing VegetablesApril 16, 2019
🎃
🎂
🌻