Home Remedies for Boils

Boils are not only unsightly they can be quite painful. This is a guide about home remedies for boils.

March 13, 2013 Flag

I have been getting boils on my face and I am at the point of freaking out! I got a few in the groin area then they went to my face. It's a little different on the face. I don't want scars so I don't do a lot of the home remedies, just moist compress to keep swelling down. I am going crazy with this and need some advice. From what I understand the antibiotics are just a band-aid. I eat good and I am so sick of this! Help.

By Julie R.

Best Answer

Sometimes these are an ingrown hair. I know the groin issue is what? Get some epsom salts from the Walmart or drugstore/grocery store. You can go to their website too. Take soaks in a couple cups in the bathtub waters. It detoxes you even when you have no apparent other issues. Body aches, etc...fantastic.

Make a poltice of a bit in warm water, use a washcloth and soak, the put on face. I put some slurry in vinyl gloves, slip them on for 30 minutes. The stuff turns dark with detoxing. Awesome!

Also, from the drug store get some carbolic salve... Watkins product. It is not the same strength (nor any other company's pretending it is the same) as it was 40 years ago, but my pharmacist stocks it in his store Now. AKA drawing salve. Or diaper salve. This is a very old product used for post surgical back. It is called Petro-Carbo Salve. About $8-10. Worth every cent. Put some on, bandaid over if necessary.

Best Answer

Go to a doctor. Boils are a staph infection which is treated by antibiotics. They are not a "bandaid". You have been mis-informed.

Best Answer

First, do not touch them, and use something disposable each time you wash them. If you touch one inadvertently, like if it itches and you scratch before you realize what you did, immediately wash your hands. The reason is, you can spread from one to other areas. I had 2 pop up (no pun intended) on my rear end; they made sitting uncomfortable for the short time they were there.

I didn't waste any time wondering anything, I went to urgent care so they could lance them. It took them maybe 15 minutes total because they numbed the area first and had to wait for it to take effect. Then they packed them so they could drain for 48 hours, then I went back so they could remove it. Then I was assigned to soak in epsom salts & warm water I think twice daily, to hasten healing of the wound. They gave me an antibiotic, as well as a painkiller. Ended up not needing the painkiller after the first one, and they healed quickly. Here is a link to some information: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002445/

I have an acquaintance who didn't know the one on his leg was a boil and tried to pop it; within a day and a half he was in the ER with one side of his entire calf covered in them, with a fever; he ended up staying overnight for an antibiotic IV drip. They look very innocent but they are nothing to mess around with. Be careful!

I started having them under my left arm and then in my groin area. I didn't bother with the ones in the groin area but the ones under my arm were painful and deep. Went to the dermatologist and haven't had one since! I did find out that these things are quite common. So go do something about it!

October 22, 2010 Flag

I have a large boil on the back of my neck. The pain of it is starting to go into my shoulders. How can I get rid of it?

By Lynda from Kearny, NJ

Best Answer

I can't emphasize enough the reply you got about seeing a doctor, ASAP! For any infectious lesion near the head or neck area, especially when it's causing pain that's spreading out, you need to see your doctor for treatment. Boils are caused by a staph infection, which needs to be treated with an antibiotic. For other areas of your body, you might be able to try the home remedies, but with boils you run the risk of cellulitis, which is the staph infection going deep into the skin, which could lead to the infection actually going to your brain. I'm speaking from experience re the cellulitis, not something to fool around with even on the legs where I had it, and I hope you'll see your doctor to have this boil treated. Please take care of yourself. :-)

Best Answer

Ichthammol 20% Draw Out Drawing Salve Ointment and

Watkins Petro-Carbo Salve are both great for boils and Amazon sells both of these.

As the others have said, if it's a large boil, please seek medical attention however if it is small you might try cracking a fresh egg, pull the inside membrane off the shell and place over the boil area. It can be covered with a bandage. As the membrane dries, replace it with fresh membrane until the boil is gone. Keep unused shells in a zip bag in the refrigerator.

Turmeric, turmeric, turmeric. I had a boil for a week. went to a and e had two doses of iv antibiotics. It did nothing, so I looked on the web and found turmeric. Made up a paste of with milk, applied and bandaged. Within an hour it had burst Yay. Now have a slice of onion and a crushed garlic clove. Which must be working cause its stinging.

September 21, 2009 Flag

A way to treat and draw out boils is to crack an egg, take the egg white and put it on the boil. Put a bandage on it and leave overnight. When you wake up, you will see a big change. Do this as often as you like until the boil has gotten the core out. Thanks. Good luck!

Source: My mother's old family remedy.

By Lisa45764 from Nelsonville, OH

Wow, wish I'd known this a couple months ago when my granddaughter had a boil! I'm presuming you'd smear on a generous amount, not necessarily the whole egg white, and use one of those large-wound bandages that self-stick. I'd email this to my son if only he had an email. :P

I have never tried that but I do know a piece of bacon fat with a bandage over it will draw it out in a day if egg white doesn't work.

BJ

I would be VERY careful regarding boils. My husband had one that burst and he ended up getting MRSA (a "super bug" infection) and has had 3 more outbreaks since last December.

Hey, Y'all, this really works. As the egg dries, it pulls the boil to a head. This is a home remedy that my grandmother used when I was growing up.

April 17, 2010 Flag

What are the side effects from prolonging not going to a doctor for a boil under the armpit?

By Duck Freeman

Best Answer

I'm a RN and I work in urgent care. You should apply warm compresses to the boil and soak it in warm water if possible. If it grows in size, becomes warmer to the touch, has red streaks traveling away from it, or you develop a fever and/or flu-like symptoms you need medical attention. Usually warm compress and time will cause it to come to "a head" and it will drain on its own. A benefit of medical treatment is that they can culture it and tell you if it is something serious like MRSA which requires antibiotic therapy. Hope this helps!

Best Answer

In the first place it might not be a boil. It could be an infected cyst. Just go to the doctor for something like that.

Left untreated Boils can result not only in repeat episodes but also:

Spread of infection to other parts of the body or skin surfaces

Abscess formation

Sepsis (general internal infection)

Abscess of kidneys or other internal organs

Osteomyelitis

Endocarditis

Brain infection

Brain abscess

Spinal cord infection

Spinal cord abscess

Permanent scarring

Good luck.

When to seek medical help for boils"

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/boil ... tm#When%20to%20Seek%20Medical%20Care

You can use hot compresses if the boils is soft. If it is hard, nothing will come out anyway.

Home treatments should only be used on small boils. If your boil is bigger than a pea or has a lot of redness around it, go to a doctor instead of trying to deal with it yourself.

* If you get a FEVER go to the doctor right away!

Fever means the infection has spread.

Home Treatment:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/boils/page6_em.htm#Boils%20Treatment

June 21, 2013 Flag

Mash soap and sugar together to form a paste and transfer the mixture onto a piece of lint big enough to cover the boil. Use a bandage to secure the piece of lint onto the boil.

June 2, 2009 Flag

I had a boil and it was huge. I had tried everything, finally I used the black salve and it made it start draining. The core has still not come out. It still hurts a little, but not as bad as it did. What do I need to do now to get the core out and make it start healing?

By snipemom from MS

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

To recommend a tried remedy, use honey to like a topic salve. It will draw the boil to head. As for the boil that has drained and the core has not come out, I would definitely see a doctor.

Preventive remedy; take a teaspoon of honey and a garlic tablet a day. Both are a natural antibiotic food, this is a tried cure by acquaintances. The more natural the honey the better the effect. As for the hot towels, we were taught heat draws infection to the surface and ice scatters inflammation.

Maybe see a doctor. Just a thought.

I have a friend who almost died from a boil. He lanced & drained it himself. It filled up again & was larger than before, so he went to the Dr. & the Dr. lanced it, well, it filled up again & was even larger. The man ended up in Intensive Care, full of blood poisening, & he had to have skin grafting done, and came very close to having his testicals removed, as the boil was in his groin area. So, please, go to the Dr.

This works with most boils. Make a cup of tea. regular tea like lipton. NOT an herbal tea. Now after the tea steeps remove the bag squeeze it out so it is not dripping and place over the boil. Take it on and off as it maybe be a little too hot at first. When I do this on boils. It feels warm on regular skin and intense heat on the boil. I also start to feel a tingling in the boil area.

I use the same tea bag again later in the day and make a fresh one for the next day. It some how heals the boil. It also works for a sty by your eye. My sister learned this from eastern medicine and cures. She loves her tea remedies. Give it a try and be attentive to what is happening in the area. If it doesn't look right go to the doctor. It is always better to safe then sorry. Good Luck.

Load More
Health & Beauty Home RemediesMarch 15, 2013
Home Remedies for Carpal Tunnel
Home Remedies for Carpal Tunnel
Dog and Vacuum
Home Remedies for Fleas
Rice in a cast iron pan.
Cooking Rice at High Altitudes
🎉
🎄