Home Remedies for Boils

Boils are not only unsightly they can be quite painful. This is a guide about home remedies for boils.

Skin Boil
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have been getting boils on my face and I am at the point of freaking out! I got a few in the groin area then they went to my face. It's a little different on the face. I don't want scars so I don't do a lot of the home remedies, just moist compress to keep swelling down. I am going crazy with this and need some advice. From what I understand the antibiotics are just a band-aid. I eat good and I am so sick of this! Help.

By Julie R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Sometimes these are an ingrown hair. I know the groin issue is what? Get some epsom salts from the Walmart or drugstore/grocery store. You can go to their website too. Take soaks in a couple cups in the bathtub waters. It detoxes you even when you have no apparent other issues. Body aches, etc...fantastic.

Make a poltice of a bit in warm water, use a washcloth and soak, the put on face. I put some slurry in vinyl gloves, slip them on for 30 minutes. The stuff turns dark with detoxing. Awesome!

Also, from the drug store get some carbolic salve... Watkins product. It is not the same strength (nor any other company's pretending it is the same) as it was 40 years ago, but my pharmacist stocks it in his store Now. AKA drawing salve. Or diaper salve. This is a very old product used for post surgical back. It is called Petro-Carbo Salve. About $8-10. Worth every cent. Put some on, bandaid over if necessary.

Best Answer

Go to a doctor. Boils are a staph infection which is treated by antibiotics. They are not a "bandaid". You have been mis-informed.

Best Answer

First, do not touch them, and use something disposable each time you wash them. If you touch one inadvertently, like if it itches and you scratch before you realize what you did, immediately wash your hands. The reason is, you can spread from one to other areas. I had 2 pop up (no pun intended) on my rear end; they made sitting uncomfortable for the short time they were there.

I didn't waste any time wondering anything, I went to urgent care so they could lance them. It took them maybe 15 minutes total because they numbed the area first and had to wait for it to take effect. Then they packed them so they could drain for 48 hours, then I went back so they could remove it. Then I was assigned to soak in epsom salts & warm water I think twice daily, to hasten healing of the wound. They gave me an antibiotic, as well as a painkiller. Ended up not needing the painkiller after the first one, and they healed quickly. Here is a link to some information: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002445/

I have an acquaintance who didn't know the one on his leg was a boil and tried to pop it; within a day and a half he was in the ER with one side of his entire calf covered in them, with a fever; he ended up staying overnight for an antibiotic IV drip. They look very innocent but they are nothing to mess around with. Be careful!

Read More Answers...

I have a large boil on the back of my neck. The pain of it is starting to go into my shoulders. How can I get rid of it?

By Lynda from Kearny, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I can't emphasize enough the reply you got about seeing a doctor, ASAP! For any infectious lesion near the head or neck area, especially when it's causing pain that's spreading out, you need to see your doctor for treatment. Boils are caused by a staph infection, which needs to be treated with an antibiotic. For other areas of your body, you might be able to try the home remedies, but with boils you run the risk of cellulitis, which is the staph infection going deep into the skin, which could lead to the infection actually going to your brain. I'm speaking from experience re the cellulitis, not something to fool around with even on the legs where I had it, and I hope you'll see your doctor to have this boil treated. Please take care of yourself. :-)

Best Answer

Ichthammol 20% Draw Out Drawing Salve Ointment and

Watkins Petro-Carbo Salve are both great for boils and Amazon sells both of these.

Read More Answers...

What are the side effects from prolonging not going to a doctor for a boil under the armpit?

By Duck Freeman

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I'm a RN and I work in urgent care. You should apply warm compresses to the boil and soak it in warm water if possible. If it grows in size, becomes warmer to the touch, has red streaks traveling away from it, or you develop a fever and/or flu-like symptoms you need medical attention. Usually warm compress and time will cause it to come to "a head" and it will drain on its own. A benefit of medical treatment is that they can culture it and tell you if it is something serious like MRSA which requires antibiotic therapy. Hope this helps!

Best Answer

In the first place it might not be a boil. It could be an infected cyst. Just go to the doctor for something like that.

Read More Answers...

A way to treat and draw out boils is to crack an egg, take the egg white and put it on the boil. Put a bandage on it and leave overnight. When you wake up, you will see a big change. Do this as often as you like until the boil has gotten the core out. Thanks. Good luck!

Source: My mother's old family remedy.

By Lisa45764 from Nelsonville, OH

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had a boil and it was huge. I had tried everything, finally I used the black salve and it made it start draining. The core has still not come out. It still hurts a little, but not as bad as it did. What do I need to do now to get the core out and make it start healing?

By snipemom from MS

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

To recommend a tried remedy, use honey to like a topic salve. It will draw the boil to head. As for the boil that has drained and the core has not come out, I would definitely see a doctor.

Preventive remedy; take a teaspoon of honey and a garlic tablet a day. Both are a natural antibiotic food, this is a tried cure by acquaintances. The more natural the honey the better the effect. As for the hot towels, we were taught heat draws infection to the surface and ice scatters inflammation.

Read More Answers...

Mash soap and sugar together to form a paste and transfer the mixture onto a piece of lint big enough to cover the boil. Use a bandage (if a large boil) or a large plaster/band-aid to secure the piece of lint onto the boil. The mixture should draw out the boil's core. Best of luck!

Source: My Great Granny Elsie Snape (1907-1990)

Will Campho Phenique work on boils?

By meatman from GA

Home Remedy for Boils

I am going to list several things for you to try. What works for someone else might not work for you.

If the boil won't come to a head or drain, dip a tea bag in HOT water, as hot as you can stand it and apply to the boil. Repeat this 2 or three times. It will come to a head and start to drain. I just had huge one under my right arm and this is the only thing that helped. I had never had a boil that I can remember and sure hope that I never have another one.

Take a bottle with an opening like a pop bottle. Place the bottle in boiling water till hot as you can handle. Place the bottle opening on the boil for several minutes. It will cause a suction pressure and it pulls the pus out. It works very fast and you get instant relief. It hurts a little, but it works. Several friends of mine have used this method and swear by it to pull
    the infection out after the boil has come to a head.

Eat as many raisins as you can and before long the boil should be gone. Cannot explain why this works, but worth a try.

Take a few thick gauze pads, and put some Campho-Phenique in the middle. Place it over the boil and leave it overnight! It works wonders for some people.

Apply a thin slice of raw fat bacon, using gauze and tape to hold it in place. Leave it on overnight. The salt in the bacon fat acts as a drawing medicine and also relieves pain from pressure.
    (My grandmother used this method for boils, carbuncles, and splinters. Don't do this if skin is broken.)

Take some honey and apply it generously to the boil. Use some gauze and tape to keep the honey from oozing all over the place. Somehow the honey draws out the pus. You don't have to squeeze anything out; the honey does it for you. You may feel a burning sensation, but nothing bad. Honey is highly antiseptic.

I hope that one of these methods will work for you and bring you relief. Good luck. (06/09/2010)

By indianlady

Home Remedy for Boils

Here is a tried and true remedy that I am sure many of our grandmothers used! Besides the old carbolic salve sold by the Watkins rep, (and available in drug stores yet today!) get and keep in the house (for house, human, gardens, etc.) Epsom salts. About $3 for a quart sized bag at any drug/grocery store, Walmart, etc. Store in a closed container once opened.

Anyway, I just did poultices these last two days for bad bug bites on the grandkids. I took about 1/4 cup Epsom salts, about 1 tbsp warm water and mixed together to make a paste. Dredge the paste on a gauze or wash cloth. Apply to area. The longer you can wear it, the better. Many uses on the packaging. I tied my granddaughter's on with a large hankie, she wore it to bed, around all day. We would check it and change it up for fresh. Her horrible bites we were going to the doctor for are now gone. It sucks the infection right out.
    I know we did this for horrible injuries, bites, boils, etc. Trick is coming up with the way to administer. (06/09/2010)

By T&T Grandma

Home Remedy for Boils

I don't know if you have health issues that would prevent you from trying this, but the only thing that worked for me was adding 1/2 tsp of baking soda to my 16.9 oz bottled water. I drank 5-6 bottles per day. I have been struggling with MRSA boils and infections for three years and I got desperate because antibiotics were not working anymore. I tried this tip from someone else and the next morning when I woke up my skin was almost completely cleared up. Within one week I was free of any marks.

I still drink the water, but I add only 1/4 tsp in each bottle. I was surprised that it worked, but it did so much more than I ever hoped. My skin has not been this clear in years, in fact my teenage son noticed right away. He asked if he could try it for his acne and now his skin is flawless. So much for the hundreds I have spent on ineffective acne treatments in the past.

I would ask your doctor if you are on a sodium-restricted diet because baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. What it does for the body is raise the PH temporarily to make it more alkaline. (06/11/2010)

By aria926

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The perfect boil home remedy. Boils are very painful. They swell, get red and very hard. At this point place a small piece of bacon fat to the sore then cover with a larger Band Aid before going to bed. By the next morning it will have lanced itself or will have the white head on it to lance. I have used this remedy on more than one occasion. Mine usually lance themselves. I guarantee it to work!

By Sandy from Hardinsburg, KY

Home Remedy for Boils

The "bacon fat" has been a remedy for many years. My grandmother always chose to use a copper penny with the bacon fat and then cover with the Band Aid. I don't know what it is that the copper penny does, but it works! Place the bacon on the boil first, then the penny over the bacon, and the Band Aid over the penny. By morning all should be well. (01/31/2008)

By frugalfran

Home Remedy for Boils

I got a boil on my nose and used hydrogen peroxide and a Q-tip. It went away in a couple of days. (03/03/2008)

By tropicalchris

Home Remedy for Boils

Go to http://www.earthclinic.com/ and follow instructions for using turmeric. It is supposed to work wonders. (03/24/2008)

By Mom

Home Remedy for Boils

I had a boil about 1 year ago and I had never heard of this remedy, but when I tried it, it totally worked! I highly recommend it. I mixed Vicks and sugar together, placed it on the boil and covered it with a Band Aid. It is a remedy from Mexico, but it really works. Hope it works for y'all. (03/25/2008)

By Patricia

Home Remedy for Boils

The black salve is called ichthammol (or ichthyol) not sure about spelling, but it does work (05/15/2008)

Home Remedy for Boils

I have been using Boil Ease for years. It first takes the soreness out, then, it brings the head. I had a cat with an enormous swelling on the whole side of her face; I doctored her with Boil Ease, then left her in care of my daughter. My daughter said within 2 days that boil just broke all over her face. Another thing for cats' ears is peroxide. It will boil them out. Cheap and works. (06/04/2008)

By Margie

Home Remedy for Boils

My mother suffers with boils and my great grandmother told her to make a paste using brown sugar and cooking oil. She simply mixes the paste and puts it on the boil at night and in the morning it comes to a head and busts. If it's in an area where the paste won't stay, cover it with some form of plastic because gauze will absorb the oil. (06/30/2008)

Home Remedy for Boils

Thanks to everyone who recommended Campho Phenique! You are all angels! I just experienced my first (and hopefully last) boil. After reading all the recommendations people made to try this ointment, I went out and bought some last night. (Hint- it is actually a cold sore treatment, so look in the cold sore aisle at the pharmacy). Sure enough, after applying Campho Phenique to my boil and covering with a large, waterproof Bandaid overnight, I woke up to a ruptured boil and some major relief from the pain I've been dealing with for the last week! My plan now is to continue cleaning the area with Dial antibacterial soap before rebandaging often. Now I can get back to my normal life. (07/17/2008)

By Donna

Home Remedy for Boils

I myself get boils at least 4 or 5 times a year. The best thing I have found to bring them to a head and make them bust is a mixture of Epsom salts and Crisco (the solid kind). Put the mixture on a big bandage and cover the boil. Usually in 15-20 minutes it busts and yes it is quit nasty, but it feels a lot better. Please anyone reading this. If you can't get the boil to pop on your own with these great home remedies. "go to the doctor".

My brother had a boil on his thigh and couldn't get it to pop on its own. He, being a stubborn guy, left it alone. 3 weeks later he had a 104 temp and his leg was swollen 2 times its normal size. He finally went to the ER and was there for 3 weeks. Then had to have a IV permanently in his arm to administer his own antibiotics for 4 more weeks, because he had gotten a bad Staph infection. So if you can't get the boil to come to a head or pop yourself, go to the doctor. (07/23/2008)

By Ann

Home Remedy for Boils

After going through nearly every home-remedy on the web for boils and knowing the pain, what also works if you can't get the black boil cream is vinegar. Soak folded paper or paper towel in vinegar and lay on the boil. Cover the vinegar compress. Not only is the vinegar soothing, but will eventually bring the boil to a head that will burst.

Pull the skin away from the head, "do not squeeze" it to prevent it bursting further into the skin. It will often open on its own, but pull to ooze the gunk out. It really worked for me after trying many other remedies. While it took a long day to finally raise the head, this was the most painless and effective remedy I found.

The only down side is that if the boil is on a sweat gland (like armpits) that you will smell like vinegar for awhile, even after a shower or two. And keep the area as clean as possible before and after. Warm soapy water worked well for me. Sounds too simple, but it really works! (11/14/2008)

By Catherine

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
    CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Health & Beauty Home RemediesMarch 15, 2013
    Home Remedies for Carpal Tunnel
    Home Remedies for Carpal Tunnel
    Dog and Vacuum
    Home Remedies for Fleas
    Rice in a cast iron pan.
    Cooking Rice at High Altitudes
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 10, 2016 at 6:02:16 PM on 10.0.2.163 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.