Cooking Rice at High Altitudes?

Category Cooking Tips
Cooking at high altitudes can be tricky. Because the air is dryer and the pressure lower, water boils at a lower temperature and moisture evaporates into the air more quickly. This makes cooking even basic items such as rice a challenge. This is a page about cooking rice at high altitudes.

I am needing help in cooking brown rice in high altitude; 6800 feet. I follow the instructions, and the rice never gets tender. I've also tried it, adding a little extra water and cooking for 20 minutes more, and it still won't get tender. Please help?

By Kim from Crawford, CO

Answers

Best Answer

What I did in cooking brown rice is to soak the brown rice overnight then cook tomorrow the same way you cook the white rice. My sister is the one who told me to soak first the brown rice so, I tried it and it help.

Best Answer

I use a presser cooker and I get great rice. I live in Leadvill, elevation 10,200ft. Also you can try a rice steamer. Good luck.

What do I need to do to make Mexican rice at a higher elevation? Normally the ratio is 1 cup rice, 2 cups of liquid for 20 minutes, what do I need to do different?

Answers

Here are a couple of links that I found very helpful, and I will try myself. - www.chowhound.com/.../advice-cooking-rice-high-altitude... and - www.ehow.com/how_4612282_cook-rice-high-altitude...

Making Mexican or Spanish rice is different than making white rice even at lower elevation.

I have never cooked anything at higher elevations so this was all new to me.
It seems several things are different besides just the ratio of rice and water and the differences need to be followed precisely or it could be a total mess.
I do know that you have to soak in hot water for at least 2 hours (some say overnight).
Surly, someone with personal knowledge will offer suggestions.
I've found 2 sites that seem to be easy to follow so take a look:

rachelsrecipecollection.com/.../

rachelsrecipecollection.com/.../

www.ehow.com/how_4612282_cook-rice-high-altitude...

www.keyingredient.com/.../

This will all depend on your elevation. If you are between 3000-5000 you will follow the normal ration of rice to water but you will add an extra 2 tablespoon to 1/4 cup of water to the rice when it is cooking. For higher elevations, you'll need to increase the water and also the cooking time for the rice.

Up to 5000 feet, it is a stand cooking time. The higher you go it takes longer to cook the rice. The standard time is 15-20 minutes. Higher elevation take longer and can be 25+ minutes to cook your rice. That is why there is an increase in water.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsJuly 25, 2013
😎
🌻
😷
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cooking-Rice-at-High-Altitudes.html