Are Bread Twisties Color Coded by Date?

By Hazel Bullock 4 10

I have heard that bread twisties are color coded as to the day of week they were made. Does anyone know if that is true and what color goes with what day?

Hazel from Shreveport Louisiana

Showing: Answers Sort

By Donna 6 Flag

Fresh Bread ????

When you go to buy bread in the grocery store, have you ever wondered which is the freshest, so you

"squeeze" for freshness or softness.

Did you know that bread is delivered fresh to the stores five days a week?

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

And each day has a different color twist tie.

They are:

Monday - Blue

Tuesday - Green

Thursday - Red

Friday - White

Saturday - Yellow

So today being Tuesday, I wanted a green twist tie-not

red which is Thursday (almost a week old?)

The colors go alphabetically by color Blue - Green - Red - White -Yellow, Monday thru Saturday. Very easy to remember. But I put a post-it note in my wallet when I first found out about this so I would not forget.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Marty Dick 167 967 Flag

Thanks! I got an email about this a couple of years ago and promptly deleted it without writing the days on paper.... I'll be sure to do it this time.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I think the answer is sortof...Problem is there is no uniform standard so different bread companies may use different colors for different days of the week. I found more detailed information at http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/breadtag.asp

Additionally, Wonder Bread's FAQ says "Many bakeries do use the color-coded twist ties, although the color code may vary depending on the geographic location of the bakery. Additionally, a Sell by Date is included on the package or plastic closure"

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Annie Rios Hill 14 1,776 Flag

I would find someone who works in the bread section and

ask for specifics to that store. I think they differ.

there is also a big difference in dates that are stamped

on it so check a few loaves before you choose one.

I thought I was the picky person doing this but I

also do this in milk dept. At the prices you pay it is

best to get the freshest product around.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I work for a bread company in Aust. and we work on the 3 colour system red, white and blue. Each day is a fresh delivery, of one of the colours, When you buy your bread always work 3 days ahead and you will know you get your bread that day fresh, If it is 3 days old you must ask for 1/2 price

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

He's exactly right. I saw it on TV last night on how it's made.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Consumer Advice General AdviceOctober 28, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A finger with a pink bow tied on it.
Save-The-Date Ideas
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:28:28 PM on 10.0.2.83 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings