Best Flooring With Pets Vinyl or Ceramic Tile?

I am replacing my kitchen, half bath, and laundry room floor, which is presently vinyl and very worn. The flooring company can replace with a high grade (Armstrong "best") or a ceramic tile for the same price. Which is my better option?

We have lots of pets (dogs/cats) and I always liked vinyl for its ease of cleaning. Plus, if I get tired of it, I can change it in 10 years or so. Any input in appreciated.

By Ginny from Murrells Inlet, SC

I like hard ceramic or porcelain tile. I have been spending time re-doing my house and found that under the carpet in the living room, which I have been tiling with porcelain tile, the original floor was old style hard lino squares. I found that if they hadn't been damaged at the edges (maybe from the carpet tack strip) I would not have minded them as being my primary flooring.

I also found that what was damaged came up with a putty knife very easily. What didn't come up, I was told could be tiled over as long as there was no chance of flooding. I just don't trust that the new vinyl flooring would compare. Especially if they are talking about rolled flooring. If they are offering ceramic tile, I would take it!

We have one dog ( large, very active and very messy!) and rooms with both the tile and high-end vinyl you're deciding upon.

Though I like the look of the tile,keeping up with that and ensuring the grout looks clean is, to me--an ongoing nightmare. The rooms with the vinyl are a snap to keep looking good.

Just my thought on it--but I find the tile a pain in the rear with just one big dog ( and you're mentioning lots of pets). Our gal doesn't pee or poop in the house; the mess I'm getting is just everyday track-in since one of the tiled rooms is our kitchen with direct and constant access to the back yard.

I like the look of tile, but vinyl is so much more care-free. If you drop something on tile, it's more than likely going to break. With vinyl there's always a chance it won't. A friend just put in a new vinyl kitchen floor that I could have sworn was tile. They make them very well nowadays. And then there is the grout as PupperMom mentioned. I'd go with a very high quality vinyl.

Pet Friendly Flooring
Pet Friendly Flooring
Consumer Advice General AdviceMarch 20, 2010
Installing Vinyl Tile Over Old Linoleum Tile
Photo of spring cleaning supplies.
Cleaning Tar Off Vinyl
Cleaning Tile Floors, Textured blue floor tile.
Cleaning Textured Flooring
Cleaning Dirty Tile
Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes