Best Flooring With Pets Vinyl or Ceramic Tile?

I am replacing my kitchen, half bath, and laundry room floor, which is presently vinyl and very worn. The flooring company can replace with a high grade (Armstrong "best") or a ceramic tile for the same price. Which is my better option?

We have lots of pets (dogs/cats) and I always liked vinyl for its ease of cleaning. Plus, if I get tired of it, I can change it in 10 years or so. Any input in appreciated.

By Ginny from Murrells Inlet, SC

I like hard ceramic or porcelain tile. I have been spending time re-doing my house and found that under the carpet in the living room, which I have been tiling with porcelain tile, the original floor was old style hard lino squares. I found that if they hadn't been damaged at the edges (maybe from the carpet tack strip) I would not have minded them as being my primary flooring.

I also found that what was damaged came up with a putty knife very easily. What didn't come up, I was told could be tiled over as long as there was no chance of flooding. I just don't trust that the new vinyl flooring would compare. Especially if they are talking about rolled flooring. If they are offering ceramic tile, I would take it!

We have one dog ( large, very active and very messy!) and rooms with both the tile and high-end vinyl you're deciding upon.

Though I like the look of the tile,keeping up with that and ensuring the grout looks clean is, to me--an ongoing nightmare. The rooms with the vinyl are a snap to keep looking good.

Just my thought on it--but I find the tile a pain in the rear with just one big dog ( and you're mentioning lots of pets). Our gal doesn't pee or poop in the house; the mess I'm getting is just everyday track-in since one of the tiled rooms is our kitchen with direct and constant access to the back yard.

I like the look of tile, but vinyl is so much more care-free. If you drop something on tile, it's more than likely going to break. With vinyl there's always a chance it won't. A friend just put in a new vinyl kitchen floor that I could have sworn was tile. They make them very well nowadays. And then there is the grout as PupperMom mentioned. I'd go with a very high quality vinyl.