Removing Stains on Vinyl and Linoleum Flooring

Category Floors
Bathroom with vinyl flooring.
Vinyl and linoleum are both types of resilient flooring. Because they are very different in their composition, you will want to determine your flooring type before attempting to remove stains. This is a guide about removing stains on vinyl or linoleum flooring.

This is a guide about cleaning mold on vinyl flooring. Mold can grow on the underside of vinyl flooring or near the edges, often due to moisture.

Hand wearing pink glove scrubbing white vinyl floor with blue sponge.  Black bucket with green cloth in the background

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Depending on the type of flooring you have this stain can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing a PVC purple primer stain on a floor.

PVC Pipes

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Unfortunately the backing on bath mats and other throw rugs can have a chemical reaction with your flooring causing stains. This is a guide about removing throw rug stains on linoleum.

Throw rug on a kitchen floor.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning nail polish stains on linoleum. Removing stains from resilient flooring such as linoleum can usually be successful if the proper products and methods are used.

Nail polish spilled on the floor.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about dye from rugs stained my linoleum. If dye in a throw rug or carpet is not set, it could cause some staining.

kitchen

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I live by myself. One morning I got up and noticed that there are black spots in different areas of my vinyl floor. I don't know how they got there. Nothing was dropped on it and it seems to be under the first layer of the vinyl floor. I don't understand. It is not cleanable.

Answer Was this helpful? 3

Toilet bowl cleaner spilled on my linoleum, what can I do to remove it? Thanks

My son has thrush and low and behold I got the purple dye gentian violet on the darn kitchen floor. It is linoleum, very light in color, so of course it is completely noticeable. I live in an apartment and rent, so I would like to get this stain off asap! Especially before a landlord notices, or well, even my husband for that matter. Please help me, I have tried everything, dish soap, nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, weird stain cleaners under my sink that I figured would at least do something, soap and water, a mild green pad, etc., etc. Nothing worked. Please help me!

Answer Was this helpful? 1

How do you remove gentian violet stain on linoleum please

We bought the trailer that we live in from a couple that we know and I did not notice this before we bought it. There is a yellowish stain around the vents on the linoleum floor (kitchen and bathrooms). I have tried everything that I know of to try and get this up. As far as I know there are no leaks or anything because my husband and my father-in-law made checked before we moved in. I am wondering what this is? Did it happen when we moved the trailer to another location? And PLEASE how do I get it up? I need some major help, I hate it on my floors. If you have any suggestions please post it or email it to me at eescott182002 (at) yahoo (dot) com . Thank you very much and I sure hope somebody has some ideas!

Erricka

Could it be wax build-up? That's what I get around my heating vents. I use a scraper and scrape it off.

Every so often, I strip my floor and re-wax.

An easy way to see if it is wax buildup is to just take a little amonia mixed with water, just in a small paper cup, about half and half. Dab some on the yellowed area and wait a couple of minutes. It it turns sticky and comes up, then it is wax. If nothing happens,it could be heat damage and you will save scraping it and possibly damaging already brittle tile. If you are lucky and it is wax, you can use amonia/water, about 1 pt ammonia to 3 pt water to strip just the small area and save yourself a ton of work.

I got oven cleaner on my linoluem HELP it won't come out!!!

Linoleum that has been covered will "amber". Expose it to light and it will recover with no problem.

What a rotten thing to remove. Tried absolutely everything in the cleaning closet. At last a solution. Mix oxyclean powder into a thick paste to scrub away the oven cleaner. It takes a lot of elbow grease but does remove it.

I am desperately trying to remove a stain from my kitchen linoleum floor. I had a supermarket plastic bag containing nectarines (that were mouldy and waiting to be taken back) on the floor and when I picked it up a couple of days later, the words and colour from the carrier bag had imprinted onto the floor, I think as a result of the juice from the nectarines that had leaked into the bag. I've scrubbed, bleached, erased and used methylated spirit and nothing works! Please help!

Fiona from Bristol

Have you tried the Mr Clean Magic Eraser? http://www.home  cts/eraser.shtml

I don't know if this is the same, but when I got my puppy the same thing happened with the newspapers he was using. I thought it was never going to come out but after washing the floor several times (with regular cleaners, I think I use polmolive or something) over the course of a month or so it eventually came out (or wore off) on its own.

i don't know if methlylated spirit is the same, but acetone-containing nail polish remover can do it.

This happened to me with a toy's R us bag. I had to use sandpaper and a brillo pad. It worked and only took about 15 minutes to remove. Use my advice, before this I tried a razor blade and it took hours!!

I have a dark stain on my kitchen floor that starts under my fridge and winds its way to the edge of my living room. We've checked under the fridge and found nothing. We've not spilled, dropped or splashed anything on the floor. It just appeared over night.

By Mary S

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have some "rust" colored spots that are on my vinyl that I can't mop, scrub, or bleach out. They almost look like burn spots, but they are not. So my floor never looks clean. My husband says it may be something coming through from the subfloor. My vinyl is white with a light blue pattern. It's in great shape other than that. Any suggestions to get these spots out?

By Denise from GA

I can't get a stain off linoleum floor from Heinz 57, it left a yellow stain. I tried cleaning with all purpose cleaner with bleach and it did not work.

Annettemace from Waxahachie, TX

How do you clean old stains from the mat in the bathtub?

try a mr. clean magic eraser, scrub well, might help

I assume you're talking about one of those rubber mats to keep from slipping.

If so, put it in the washing machine with a couple of old towels, detergent, and a cup of bleach.

Thanks, but I mean stains on the bottom of the bathtub, not the mat

WOW How wierd that I was going to ask a question like this when I opened this email. I bought a cheap off white bath mat a couple of weeks ago and now have yellow stains resembling that darned mat that I just cannot get out. I have used bleach,comet.baking soda.tilex, Mr clean and whatever else I had around here.

Good luck if you find something and please please post if you do~

Years ago, my 1st husband threw a toilet bowl cleaner that had jammed in the reservoir into the tub instead of the (nearer to him!) trash. I tried everything I could think of for over a year and only saw it fade a little. While I was packing to move out, I cleaned the coffee pot with vinegar and water and poured the steaming hot mixture over the stain out of habit not expecting results because I'd seen no real results before. But it took it right off and since then, it's been my 1st choice for any bad stain.

I have a linoleum floor that has a pink stain on it. It looks like something drained out of the dishwasher onto the floor, Kool-Aid? Not sure. I think it's been there for a long time. I've tried Mr. Clean eraser, bleach, and ammonia, all separately, nothing works.

By Lynnvalverde from Surprise, AZ

How do I get stains of oxidation out of my linoleum around my floor vents and also get stains of yellowing off floor left by rubber back throw rugs?

Large pink stains have suddenly appeared on my mum's kitchen lino. I have checked underneath and all looks fine, no staining at all, and no damp. She says nothing has been spilt. We have tried cleaning with bleach with no luck. Any ideas?

How do I get oil spots off linoleum caused by casters?

Doreen from Cranbrook, BC, Canada

Is it REALLY linoleum flooring (made from linseed oil) like back in the 1930's. or is it VINYL flooring, like the newer flooring. This makes a difference in cleaning etc. (most people use these terms interchangeably). Also, what are the casters made from that made the "oil" mark?

The best way to remove oil, tar and anything else that seems to stubborn, is WD40. I use it on so many things i wash I owned some stock in the company. Trust me, you will be amazed.

I had some knee covers that had old black tar from removing basement tile. They were while when I started and after cleaning them with WD40. They were like new again. My helper wanted to throw them away. I still have them. And they look and work great.

My husband broke a bubble nightlight on the vinyl flooring. Now we have a red patch that so many people think is blood. Any suggestions? Thank you

Ann from Defiance, OH

Why don't you try cleaning the spot with a solution of water and bleach?

Try hydrogen peroxide and water, or if you can't clean it off, try painting over it with acrylic paint in the same color.

Sorry to say this, but I had a yellow one break while on the tree and leak onto my linoleum flooring...I could never get it off. We remodeled this past year and of course, now it is finally gone!

I rent an apartment, and I recently put an offer in on a house, but I'd like to clean my apartment very well to cut down on the costs of moving out. In my bathroom I have vinyl or linoleum flooring, in the kitchen also. In the bathroom next to the tub my flooring is kind of stained. Water must have gotten to it even though I tried hard not to let water out of the tub. Its like a yellowish stain.

Is there something that may get this out? Or are they gonna have to redo the floors? The trim near those areas is kind of worn too. I am not sure how to tell if it is mold or if it's cleanable. If it is mold, can it be cleaned? I know it says somewhere just to use water to clean the floors, but that's what I've done the whole time I've been there and it doesn't work. Any suggestions are great, or if you have any additional questions for me I'd be happy to answer them for you. Thanks.

I recently got new molding in my kitchen. However, peeking out from this molding is a darker wood stain. I stained the previous molding and this new molding does not cover the stain that seeped onto the vinyl floor. I have tried Comet and Ajax but do not want to ruin my new molding. Any ideas to remove old wood stain from a vinyl floor?

By Fiona from Bridgewater, NJ

The heat from our refrigerator has caused a brown stain on on my no-wax linoleum floor. I have tried Oxi-clean, Clorox, etc. with very little success. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Margaret from West Nyack, NY

If the heat discolored it, it may not come out.. in a way

the heat may have cooked it a little.. so to speak. At first

I was going to say try *Whink* its in the laundry dept.. it

will take rust out of carpet and furniture etc... but they say you need to rince it afterward. Good luck.

Try a Magic Eraser. I have found that when all else fails, this little "sponge" will do the trick. They make store brands now, and they are very inexpensive. Good luck!

While using clorox cleaner on a vinyl floor, I got a call and had to leave for a while, forgetting the cleaner on the floor. Now it's got brownish stains on it. Is there any way to clean this type of stain? Thanks for any help!

Bill

You might try saturating the brown spots with hydrogen peroxide. Let the peroxide sit for quite a while, perhaps renewing it, if it dries up. When/if the spots disappear, wash the area well, with soap and water.

How do I remove pen ink (biro) from my linoleum floor?

Tracey from Queensland, Australia

How to remove printers ink from a vinyl floor, the ink is used in printing daily newspapers.

I have a vinyl floor in my kitchen which I love. It is easy to clean and looks like tile. When the sun hits it yellow marks appear. At night when there is no sun, it is fine. Anyone ever hear of this?

How do you remove pen drawings off vinyl timber looking floors?

By Vicki from Parafield Gdns, Adelaide

I placed containers of laundry detergent - All, Oxiclean, Woolite, Clorox, and Shout on the floor in my laundry room. I now have some orange, almost rust colored, stains that I can't find a way to remove. I used ordinary soap and water, bleach, and Comet and nothing worked. Do you have any suggestions?

By Stanley

Any ideas of how to remove self tanning solution stains from bathroom flooring. I think it is linoleum.

Angie from Nanticoke, PA

Try Mr. Clean "eraser". I use it for everything. It the greatest thing invented next to sliced bread. :)

Does anyone know what I can use to remove white spirit stains from vinyl flooring?

My vinyl flooring had paint on it so I used paint thinner to remove it. Now I have a light, misty, dried looking white stain on the tiles. Is there anything I can use to remove this?

I had a new vinyl floor installed 18 months ago and a red stain started showing up about 6 months ago. How do I get rid of it?

Load More