Removing Stains on Vinyl and Linoleum Flooring

Category Floors
Vinyl and linoleum are both types of resilient flooring. Because they are very different in their composition, you will want to determine your flooring type before attempting to remove stains. This is a guide about removing stains on vinyl or linoleum flooring.

Unfortunately the backing on bath mats and other throw rugs can have a chemical reaction with your flooring causing stains. This is a guide about removing throw rug stains on linoleum.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about cleaning mold on vinyl flooring. Mold can grow on the underside of vinyl flooring or near the edges, often due to moisture.

Mold will stain just about anything it grows on and linoleum is no exception. Check out these ideas on how to remove mold stains from a linoleum floor.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Oven cleaner uses very strong chemicals to breakdown burnt on food and stains in your oven. Removing oven cleaner stains from floor can be a difficult chore.

Depending on the type of flooring you have this stain can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing a PVC purple primer stain on a floor.

This is a guide about cleaning nail polish stains on linoleum. Removing stains from resilient flooring such as linoleum can usually be successful if the proper products and methods are used.

This is a guide about dye from rugs stained my linoleum. If dye in a throw rug or carpet is not set, it could cause some staining.

I've split nail polish remover on the linoleum tile floor of my rental unit. The result is a milky-white stain that seams to have eaten away the gloss of the linoleum. I tried vinegar, but that did nothing. Does anyone know how to get this discolouration out?

Answers

Best Answer

Here are a few facts you should know about your floor to help you out.

1. Did the nail polish remover you used have acetone?
  2. The acetone will eat through the finish of your floor.
  3. Also, it is important to know if your floor is really linoleum or is it one of the newer types of plastic floors with a shine to it?
  4. This is important to know this one. Because if the floor is really linoleum you can actually sand the spot on your floor and apply a new coat of wax to the area.
  5. Most linoleum floor is kept waxed and hopefully it is only the wax that has turned yellow.
  6. In this case a lightweight sand paper can remove the coat of wax that has turned white and you can apply another coat of wax to your floor.
  7. However, if this is one of the new plastic tile floor that is shinny you have ruined the shine on the floor and eaten through the flooring with the nail polish remover.

8. I am so sorry there isn't much you can do with this now. You will need to replace the tile on the floor to fix this problem.
  9. Before attempting this you have nothing to loose to try sanding this down a bit to remove the wax and waxing it again to see if it helps.
  10. If it doesn't work, then the tile itself needs to be replaced.

I live by myself. One morning I got up and noticed that there are black spots in different areas of my vinyl floor. I don't know how they got there. Nothing was dropped on it and it seems to be under the first layer of the vinyl floor. I don't understand. It is not cleanable.

Answers

Toilet bowl cleaner spilled on my linoleum, what can I do to remove it? Thanks

We bought the trailer that we live in from a couple that we know and I did not notice this before we bought it. There is a yellowish stain around the vents on the linoleum floor (kitchen and bathrooms). I have tried everything that I know of to try and get this up. As far as I know there are no leaks or anything because my husband and my father-in-law made checked before we moved in.

I am wondering what this is? Did it happen when we moved the trailer to another location? And PLEASE how do I get it up? I need some major help, I hate it on my floors. If you have any suggestions please post it or email it to me at eescott182002 (at) yahoo (dot) com . Thank you very much and I sure hope somebody has some ideas!

Erricka

Answers

Could it be wax build-up? That's what I get around my heating vents. I use a scraper and scrape it off.
Every so often, I strip my floor and re-wax.

An easy way to see if it is wax buildup is to just take a little amonia mixed with water, just in a small paper cup, about half and half. Dab some on the yellowed area and wait a couple of minutes. It it turns sticky and comes up, then it is wax.

If nothing happens,it could be heat damage and you will save scraping it and possibly damaging already brittle tile. If you are lucky and it is wax, you can use amonia/water, about 1 pt ammonia to 3 pt water to strip just the small area and save yourself a ton of work.

By Christa (Guest Post)

I got oven cleaner on my linoluem HELP it won't come out!!!

By Christa (Guest Post)

By AB (Guest Post)

Linoleum that has been covered will "amber". Expose it to light and it will recover with no problem.

By Carol (Guest Post)

What a rotten thing to remove. Tried absolutely everything in the cleaning closet. At last a solution.

Mix oxyclean powder into a thick paste to scrub away the oven cleaner. It takes a lot of elbow grease but does remove it.

My son has thrush and low and behold I got the purple dye gentian violet on the darn kitchen floor. It is linoleum, very light in color, so of course it is completely noticeable. I live in an apartment and rent, so I would like to get this stain off asap! Especially before a landlord notices, or well, even my husband for that matter. Please help me, I have tried everything, dish soap, nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, weird stain cleaners under my sink that I figured would at least do something, soap and water, a mild green pad, etc., etc. Nothing worked. Please help me!

I am desperately trying to remove a stain from my kitchen linoleum floor. I had a supermarket plastic bag containing nectarines (that were mouldy and waiting to be taken back) on the floor and when I picked it up a couple of days later, the words and colour from the carrier bag had imprinted onto the floor, I think as a result of the juice from the nectarines that had leaked into the bag. I've scrubbed, bleached, erased and used methylated spirit and nothing works! Please help!

Fiona from Bristol

Answers

Have you tried the Mr Clean Magic Eraser? http://www.home  cts/eraser.shtml

By Kristen (Guest Post)

I don't know if this is the same, but when I got my puppy the same thing happened with the newspapers he was using. I thought it was never going to come out but after washing the floor several times (with regular cleaners, I think I use polmolive or something) over the course of a month or so it eventually came out (or wore off) on its own.

i don't know if methlylated spirit is the same, but acetone-containing nail polish remover can do it.

By Andrea (Guest Post)

This happened to me with a toy's R us bag. I had to use sandpaper and a brillo pad. It worked and only took about 15 minutes to remove. Use my advice, before this I tried a razor blade and it took hours!!

I have a dark stain on my kitchen floor that starts under my fridge and winds its way to the edge of my living room. We've checked under the fridge and found nothing. We've not spilled, dropped or splashed anything on the floor. It just appeared over night.

By Mary S

I have some "rust" colored spots that are on my vinyl that I can't mop, scrub, or bleach out. They almost look like burn spots, but they are not. So my floor never looks clean. My husband says it may be something coming through from the subfloor. My vinyl is white with a light blue pattern. It's in great shape other than that. Any suggestions to get these spots out?

By Denise from GA

I can't get a stain off linoleum floor from Heinz 57, it left a yellow stain. I tried cleaning with all purpose cleaner with bleach and it did not work.

Annettemace from Waxahachie, TX

How do you clean old stains from the mat in the bathtub?

Answers

try a mr. clean magic eraser, scrub well, might help

By Jean (Guest Post)

I assume you're talking about one of those rubber mats to keep from slipping.
If so, put it in the washing machine with a couple of old towels, detergent, and a cup of bleach.

Thanks, but I mean stains on the bottom of the bathtub, not the mat

WOW How wierd that I was going to ask a question like this when I opened this email. I bought a cheap off white bath mat a couple of weeks ago and now have yellow stains resembling that darned mat that I just cannot get out. I have used bleach,comet.baking soda.tilex, Mr clean and whatever else I had around here.

Good luck if you find something and please please post if you do~

By crazypete (Guest Post)

Years ago, my 1st husband threw a toilet bowl cleaner that had jammed in the reservoir into the tub instead of the (nearer to him!) trash. I tried everything I could think of for over a year and only saw it fade a little. While I was packing to move out, I cleaned the coffee pot with vinegar and water and poured the steaming hot mixture over the stain out of habit not expecting results because I'd seen no real results before. But it took it right off and since then, it's been my 1st choice for any bad stain.

I have a linoleum floor that has a pink stain on it. It looks like something drained out of the dishwasher onto the floor, Kool-Aid? Not sure. I think it's been there for a long time. I've tried Mr. Clean eraser, bleach, and ammonia, all separately, nothing works.

By Lynn Valverde from Surprise, AZ

It's been 4 months since a hail storm knocked out my front windows. The rain came in and the dye from the curtains stained my linoleum floors. I tried rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, CLR, baking soda, Magic Eraser, and several other bathroom cleaning products. Nothing has worked. Please help me save my floor.

How do I get stains of oxidation out of my linoleum around my floor vents and also get stains of yellowing off floor left by rubber back throw rugs?

Large pink stains have suddenly appeared on my mum's kitchen lino. I have checked underneath and all looks fine, no staining at all, and no damp. She says nothing has been spilt. We have tried cleaning with bleach with no luck. Any ideas?

How do I get oil spots off linoleum caused by casters?

Doreen from Cranbrook, BC, Canada

My husband broke a bubble nightlight on the vinyl flooring. Now we have a red patch that so many people think is blood. Any suggestions? Thank you

Ann from Defiance, OH

Answers

Why don't you try cleaning the spot with a solution of water and bleach?

I rent an apartment, and I recently put an offer in on a house, but I'd like to clean my apartment very well to cut down on the costs of moving out. In my bathroom I have vinyl or linoleum flooring, in the kitchen also. In the bathroom next to the tub my flooring is kind of stained. Water must have gotten to it even though I tried hard not to let water out of the tub. Its like a yellowish stain.

Is there something that may get this out? Or are they gonna have to redo the floors? The trim near those areas is kind of worn too. I am not sure how to tell if it is mold or if it's cleanable. If it is mold, can it be cleaned? I know it says somewhere just to use water to clean the floors, but that's what I've done the whole time I've been there and it doesn't work. Any suggestions are great, or if you have any additional questions for me I'd be happy to answer them for you. Thanks.

How do I clean a white plastic floor in the kitchen and bath area, it's not smooth area.
It is a pure white and over a year changed to a dirty floor.
Shall I use bleach? I used it once in a small area and it was brilliant.

By K. Ismail

Load More