Removing Throw Rug Stains on Linoleum

Category Floors
Throw rug on a kitchen floor.
Unfortunately the backing on bath mats and other throw rugs can have a chemical reaction with your flooring causing stains. This is a guide about removing throw rug stains on linoleum.

This is a guide about dye from rugs stained my linoleum. If dye in a throw rug or carpet is not set, it could cause some staining.

kitchen

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Why are my bath mats turning the lino floor in the bath room yellow?

By Mark

Best Answer

Unfortunately, the rubber backing on the back of the rug causes a chemical reaction with the linoleum and turns it yellow. Supposedly the yellowing can be gotten off but I have not done this myself. Take a look at the many videos regarding the removal of yellow staining of linoleum/vinyl from rubber backing

How do you get the yellow stain off vinyl flooring that is left there from a rubber backed floor mat? I use 2 small rugs in my kitchen; one at the sink and the other at the door to the deck. My floor is one of the best white vinyl floorings and the area under the mat has an off color. Does anyone know how to get this stain off the floor?

By DJ

About 3 years ago I brought a rug with a rubber back for my linoleum kitchen floor. I have now noticed that the tile has turned yellow. How can I remove it?

Thanks,
Gail from Kentucky

Answers:

Throw Rug Stains On Linoleum

The 'stain' is a chemical reaction inside the vinyl flooring material. It's not something that can come out. The only thing to do is keep it covered or replace the floor. In future, do not cover newer vinyl floors with rubber backed mats. (08/30/2005)

By beanygurl

Throw Rug Stains On Linoleum

I used Whink rust remover (liquid) to remove 6 year old throw rug stains on my linoleum. It was a last resort but it worked! (09/18/2008)

By Lynn

How can I get a yellow stain, caused by a rug, out of (white) kitchen linoleum? I have tried bleach, scouring powder, baking soda, and sunlight.

By Thriftygreen198 from Lillington, NC

Answers:

Throw Rug Stains On Linoleum

I'm sorry, but I saw this question asked on the TV show "The Queen of Clean" (on HGTV) several years back, and she said that there was nothing you could do. It's the rug's backing that causes a reaction with the flooring and it's permanent.

* If you've already tried everything, here's what I would try next: First try "Scrubbing Bubbles" (or a cleaner just like it from the $1 store). Spray it on, then leave it set for about 15 minutes (only on the spot) then wipe it off with a sponge or rag. If that doesn't work you could try rubbing alcohol on a rag and some "elbow grease" and lastly you could try fingernail polish remover. Be careful to only get it in the area that's stained because it will remove the shine and maybe even some coloring from the flooring (try it in an out-of-the-way place first). If these strong cleaners don't work, nothing will!

* If nothing works, you can paint the area to match. Simply buy yourself some acrylic paints in the exact same shades (or mix your own) then clean the floor with rubbing alcohol (in that area only). Alcohol will remove any oils and residue, then paint the floor to match. Lastly, after the acrylic paint has dried, seal the painted area with a water-based sealer. Or, maybe even seal the whole floor with "Future" brand Acrylic floor wax.

The best acrylic paint would be "Glossies" by Liquitex. (Glossies is usually sold in the "artist" paint area and not usually in the "crafters" paint area) This is a super-durable paint made to stick to glass, tile, other "glossy" surfaces. After it dries, you can slightly heat it with a blow dryer to make it adhere even better. Glossies can be run through the dishwasher if painted on glass, so it's quite durable. But any outdoor or "garden" paint will work. Just be extra careful to really clean the area with alcohol before painting to seal the area properly. If you make a mistake or want to remove the paint, use fingernail polish remover (the type that does NOT say "for artificial nails")

Any Questions? Send me a note here on ThriftyFun.
PS. If you have any extra matching vinyl flooring material, you can make a patch. (07/03/2009)

By Cyinda

I mopped my linoleum floor and put my rug back down before the floor had totally dried. It was an older rug and had started to yellow a bit on the bottom. Now the area where the rug was is yellowed, too. How can I removed this?

imaqt1962 from Illinois

Answers: