Throw Rug Stains On Linoleum

How can I get a yellow stain, caused by a rug, out of (white) kitchen linoleum? I have tried bleach, scouring powder, baking soda, and sunlight.

By Thriftygreen198 from Lillington, NC

Answers:

Throw Rug Stains On Linoleum

I'm sorry, but I saw this question asked on the TV show "The Queen of Clean" (on HGTV) several years back, and she said that there was nothing you could do. It's the rug's backing that causes a reaction with the flooring and it's permanent.

* If you've already tried everything, here's what I would try next: First try "Scrubbing Bubbles" (or a cleaner just like it from the $1 store). Spray it on, then leave it set for about 15 minutes (only on the spot) then wipe it off with a sponge or rag. If that doesn't work you could try rubbing alcohol on a rag and some "elbow grease" and lastly you could try fingernail polish remover. Be careful to only get it in the area that's stained because it will remove the shine and maybe even some coloring from the flooring (try it in an out-of-the-way place first). If these strong cleaners don't work, nothing will!

* If nothing works, you can paint the area to match. Simply buy yourself some acrylic paints in the exact same shades (or mix your own) then clean the floor with rubbing alcohol (in that area only). Alcohol will remove any oils and residue, then paint the floor to match. Lastly, after the acrylic paint has dried, seal the painted area with a water-based sealer. Or, maybe even seal the whole floor with "Future" brand Acrylic floor wax.

The best acrylic paint would be "Glossies" by Liquitex. (Glossies is usually sold in the "artist" paint area and not usually in the "crafters" paint area) This is a super-durable paint made to stick to glass, tile, other "glossy" surfaces. After it dries, you can slightly heat it with a blow dryer to make it adhere even better. Glossies can be run through the dishwasher if painted on glass, so it's quite durable. But any outdoor or "garden" paint will work. Just be extra careful to really clean the area with alcohol before painting to seal the area properly. If you make a mistake or want to remove the paint, use fingernail polish remover (the type that does NOT say "for artificial nails")

Any Questions? Send me a note here on ThriftyFun.
PS. If you have any extra matching vinyl flooring material, you can make a patch. (07/03/2009)

By Cyinda