How Can I Mend Tears in a Synthetic Leather Jacket?

My little girl has a darling winter coat that looks similar to leather, but is 100% polyester (on the outside). It is apparently very thin polyester as it has several rips in it now. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to mend these myself. I love the little coat and really would like to fix it if possible. Thanks.

By Misty from VA

I sure wish I could see the coat, it would be ever so much easier to try to help with repair suggestions. You say it has "several rips in it now" which sounds like more to come. How are the rips? Long tears or holes or "starbursts" or ??? Where are the rips located on the coat? Does it have an inner lining or is the outside "fused" to the inside, or is it just one layer of material? Also what color is the coat, what style? Is it a dress coat or sporty?

One thing you might try is iron-on tape or patches, or cut the patches to the strip/size needed to extend beyond the rip, rounding any pointed corners of the tape. Put the tape on the inside or underside of the outer material and match the edges of the rip as best as can before ironing--use a slightly damp cloth over it to keep from sticking any exposed tape to the iron.

Depending on the style of coat, you could put iron-on patches or appliques on the outside (also or instead of the inner patching). Silhouettes of shapes or objects could be cut from patches--even from other materials and use fusing cloth or fusing tape to apply.

I don't know if any of this is a help at all, or maybe it can at least give you some other ideas as to what you could do to repair or redo the coat.

Slightly different: Years ago my cousin came to visit with his little girl--I think she was about 3. She had a beautiful turquoise & cream hounds-tooth pattern coat, but had spilt yellow paint down the front. I embroidered green stems & leaves up the front and on one sleeve, added yellow and white daisy-type flowers over the large spill spots and traded her plain white buttons for red heart-shaped buttons. Voila! A brand new one-of-a-kind coat that was ever so much more a pretty little girls' coat than it had been before.

Well, gotta run Misty. But I wish you much luck and success on your retrieval attempts. I'd be interested in hearing if you were able to save it in any way at all.

Home and Garden Repair ClothingFebruary 12, 2011
Leather Jacket
Cleaning Body Oil Stains on Leather Jacket
Leather Jacket
Cleaning Stains on a Leather Jacket
Girl wearing a leather jacket.
Caring for a Leather Jacket
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather