Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Crocs Shrink in the Sun

I recently ordered a pair of "Malinda" style Crocs to wear to my office job. I wear an 8.5, but because the style isn't available in half sizes, I ordered a 9. When they arrived, straight from the factory, they had a strong chemical smell that bothered me the first day I wore them, so I decided to leave them outside for a couple days to let that dissipate before wearing them again.

The summer heat (about 86 degrees average high then) and humidity (rained twice) made my Crocs shrink! When I brought them back in, I was amazed to discover that I no longer needed to tuck a bit of cotton in the ends to wear them; one shoe fit me perfectly, and the other had shrunk a bit too much and was now too tight. I wore them anyway, expecting that the now-tight shoe would stretch back out, and it did!

Now, instead of stuffing cotton in my shoes like a child, I have office-style Crocs that fit. I never in a million years would have guessed it was so easy to resize these durable shoes, but now that I know, I won't hesitate to buy Crocs that are a little too big for me again. Since some of their other styles offer even fewer sizes, I'm very happy to know I can resize them to fit me just right!

My plan for resizing future Crocs as needed: Buy a bit too large rather than too small. Store somewhere hot, about 85-90 degrees F or so, and monitor the shrinkage closely by checking them at least a couple times a day. Stop when they fit perfectly. :)

By Sterghe from Pennsylvania

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Emily07/29/2010

You can also resize them (either to shrink or stretch) by putting them in the dryer for 5 minutes at a time, then putting them on immediately and wearing them until they cool down. It works to shrink or stretch them!

By Ellie [3]07/28/2010

Well, I had to read the header twice, because I live in Australia, and we have plenty of crocodiles in the north of the country, commonly called Crocs. 'What? Crocs (crocodiles) shrink in the sun?! Then I read on and saw it was different Crocs, so thank you for a good laugh as well as the tip.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Crocs Shrink in the Sun!

I have worn Crocs for several years, in fact, I am just getting ready to replace my first pair. The pair I have been wearing are about 4 years old. It amazes me how well they have held up, because I am quite rough on shoes.

I had been wearing my Crocs outside to do yard work. When I went into the house, I left them on the outside step so as not to track in grass and dirt. The steps are pretty much in full sun throughout the day. I had left them out there for a few days, when my daughter looked outside at them and said they had shrunk!

Sure enough, they had shrunk, and that was a good thing; at least for me. From wearing them so much, they had gotten too big and loose on my foot. Now it is like I have a new pair of Crocs!

By squirrley from West Michigan

RE: Crocs Shrink in the Sun!

I noticed too the more you wear them, they seem to get bigger. (07/07/2009)

By LITTLE SUZY

RE: Crocs Shrink in the Sun!

Thanks, I was ready to throw mine out because they actually trip me sometimes. (07/08/2009)

By siris

RE: Crocs Shrink in the Sun!

Cool that your crocks shrunk back to fit from the sun :-) (07/08/2009)

By Deeli

RE: Crocs Shrink in the Sun!

Thank you! I love mine but they were beginning to feel like clown shoes! (07/09/2009)

By Beth

RE: Crocs Shrink in the Sun!

Another thing to do is to wash them in the washing machine. Mine got pretty dirty and I thought that the washing machine would be the perfect to get them clean. Clean - no, but yes they did shrink. (07/10/2009)

By Karyn01

RE: Crocs Shrink in the Sun!

I forgot to mention, when you do place your Crocs out in the sun to shrink, keep checking on their "progress" day by day. It seems the longer they are out there, the smaller they get. You want to make sure to get the right size! :o) (07/14/2009)

By Squirrley