RepairingClothing

Crocs Shrink in the Sun

I recently ordered a pair of "Malinda" style Crocs to wear to my office job. I wear an 8.5, but because the style isn't available in half sizes, I ordered a 9. When they arrived, straight from the factory, they had a strong chemical smell that bothered me the first day I wore them, so I decided to leave them outside for a couple days to let that dissipate before wearing them again.

The summer heat (about 86 degrees average high then) and humidity (rained twice) made my Crocs shrink! When I brought them back in, I was amazed to discover that I no longer needed to tuck a bit of cotton in the ends to wear them; one shoe fit me perfectly, and the other had shrunk a bit too much and was now too tight. I wore them anyway, expecting that the now-tight shoe would stretch back out, and it did!

Now, instead of stuffing cotton in my shoes like a child, I have office-style Crocs that fit. I never in a million years would have guessed it was so easy to resize these durable shoes, but now that I know, I won't hesitate to buy Crocs that are a little too big for me again. Since some of their other styles offer even fewer sizes, I'm very happy to know I can resize them to fit me just right!

My plan for resizing future Crocs as needed: Buy a bit too large rather than too small. Store somewhere hot, about 85-90 degrees F or so, and monitor the shrinkage closely by checking them at least a couple times a day. Stop when they fit perfectly. :)

By Sterghe from Pennsylvania

Well, I had to read the header twice, because I live in Australia, and we have plenty of crocodiles in the north of the country, commonly called Crocs. 'What? Crocs (crocodiles) shrink in the sun?! Then I read on and saw it was different Crocs, so thank you for a good laugh as well as the tip.

You can also resize them (either to shrink or stretch) by putting them in the dryer for 5 minutes at a time, then putting them on immediately and wearing them until they cool down. It works to shrink or stretch them!