Coffee Grounds for Icy Sidewalks

I came home during a freezing rain storm on Sunday Night. My cement steps were treacherous and I was out of Ice Salt and table salt. I racked my brain to think of what I could use and went to make myself a pot of coffee then I thought of the used coffee grounds. They don't disintegrate so I tried them on my steps. They are still there and have not frozen over and are doing a fine job of keeping my stairs free of ice and snow. They don't seem to track in either.

By Katie from Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada

Hi Katie,I'm the first in line to reply.Lucky for me,lol.Your brainstorm is wonderful.This winter my ramp was icy and I didn't have enough salt so my son grabbed the"epsom salt".I do hope your enjoying this site.I found an article where they make fireplace logs out of coffee grounds.They're called"Java Logs".Yup,made out of coffee grounds.They claim to burn better,no fumes to bother one w/breathing problems and burning the logs makes your place smell like fresh brewed coffee.

Enjoy and nice to see you here,Keeper

This would be more friendly for puppy paws as well. I could save money on those non-caustic ice melters I've been buying.

I've been doing without salt because it's so hard on the environment, but this I can do with a clear conscience.

Did it stain the cement if it got wet?

This is a great idea, we will definitely try this.

Icy Steps
Keeping Ice Off Steps and Walkways
Home and Garden Home Improvement WeatherizingMarch 19, 2008
ground coffee
Uses for Coffee Grounds
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Coffee Beans
Cleaning With Coffee
ground coffee
Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden
🎉
🎄