Uses for Coffee Grounds

Category Reusing
Used coffee grounds have a number of uses around the house. This page contains recycling used coffee grounds.

Used coffee grounds are one way to destroy medication. Put coffee grounds and pills in plastic bag, and pour enough water in bag to cover them. Zip up bag and mix well. In just a short time, they will be gone.

Source: I got this tip from a nurse.

By Pudell from Benton Harbor, MI

After making coffee, let the grounds dry then put them into a new filter, a thin fabric bag, socks, or stockings. Secure with thread or staples. Put these coffee bags inside your shoes, in closets, and shelves. They work really well as deodorizers. My family has been doing this forever!

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Did you know that the coffee grounds that are left after the enjoyment of drinking its richness have many functional uses that can be applied to your everyday living.

1. Add to your compost/soil for nitrogen.

2. A great pest repellent for ants.

3. Fertilizer.

4. Odor absorber for your fridge.

5. Exfoliant for your skin.

6. Add to your hair before shampoo for nutrients.

7. And my personal favorite, cellulite treatment.
So when making that pot or pod of coffee, think to save what brings so much back in ways that are beneficial and keeping green!

Odors in the fridge or freezer will be gone overnight if you place a dish of used coffee grounds in a bowl and place it in the center of the refrigerator/freezer. It works better then baking soda!

Here's a great way to use coffee grounds once you have made coffee. Dump your used coffee grounds into a container and keep, open, in the refrigerator.

The used grounds make your fridge smell like coffee and absorbs all the unwanted odors at the same time.

This was one of the most interesting experiments I ever did before with my shoes and boots. I got curious one day. I kept buying foot powder that was too expensive and would cause allergic reactions to my skin, even if I'm wearing socks.

After I've sprinkled my used coffee grounds around my plants and fruit trees, I rinse off the coffee filter and dry it on my dish drainer.

For a quick, cheap facial scrub: Take your cooled down coffee grounds and scrub your face gently with them. The grounds will slough off dead skin cells, and the caffeine will "wake up" your skin.

Used coffee grounds make for a GREAT exfoliant! I keep a jar on my stove and fill it up regularly with used grounds. It's wonderful on the hands and can also be used as an abrasive cleaner combined with dish soap for those "sticky" pans!

I am chemical sensitive to perfumes, cigarettes, gasoline, etc. Sometimes we have guests come over with high perfume scents and when they leave the scent does not.

After our family returned to the Pacific Northwest from an extended working vacation, our home smelled of mold. I found myself washing all of the clothes in my drawers and called my mother for advice.

She told me to put coffee grounds (not instant), in small cups or bowls inside of each drawer.

Grass is growing! Hooray! I've finally got the most beautiful green grass where there was almost no grass, thanks to all those used coffee grounds I put out last month!

Here is yet another way to recycle up your used coffee grounds. Fill a pin cushion with them! Use cute scraps of fabric and simply sew together right sides together leaving a small space open.

Save your used coffee grounds from your morning coffee in an old coffee can, sealed with a lid in a cool area. Keep them on hand until you need to sweep up the garage floor, then use them as a "sweeping" agent to keep the dust down when you sweep.

What is the best use for used coffee grounds?

By marie from NJ

Answers

Put them in your plants or compost pile.

Yes, compost them or use them around blueberries and Azaeleas to make the soil more acidic

If you are a craft person Google "crafts using coffee grounds". There are oodles of craft ideas using used coffee grounds. :-)

When using coffee grounds to get rid of kerosene or gas smell, do you use ground coffee or used coffee grounds?. Many thanks.

John from Whitehorse, Yukon Territory

Answers

When I used coffee grounds to get out smells, I used the fresh grounds. I don't know if used ones would work as well. I do not know if they would work on Kerosene which is a pretty strong odor.

I put a dish in an antique cupboard to get out the stale smell. I had to do it several times. I also used them to remove mothball smell from a camper trailer closet. I used dishes of baking soda at the same time.

Is this an old wives tale or true? Do coffee grounds down your sink really help clean it out of fat and grime?

By Kathy

Answers

I'm afraid it might aggravate the problem.

"Sink stoppages are usually caused by liquid fats, emulsified by warm dishwater and carried through the pipes. The water cools as it proceeds to the main sewer and leaves the fatty deposits along the way. A film of grease forms on the pipe wall, then another and another.

Coffee grounds and bits of food add to this accumulation layer until the pipe becomes impassible.

"Pour excess grease into a tin can and throw it out with the garbage, not down the sink drain. When using a food disposer, always let sufficient cold water run to carry the particles down and into the main line to prevent buildup in the smaller waste lines."

By Dan (Guest Post)

If you really want to have a nice flower garden take your coffee grounds and kitchen vegetable wastes and combine them in a compost pile. Then have your children dig in an area approved by you for worms and add the worms to your compost pile. What they leave you will really improve your flower output as well as getting rid of your kitchen waste. Worms love coffee grounds.

There was a posting for using coffee grinds for odors. I am not sure how it read to use them.

By Marion

Save money and make your own coffee body scrub with your used grounds. Try adding sugar and different oils. This is a page contains ideas for homemade coffee body scrub.

Coffee Body Scrub

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2
Load More

Better Living Green Living ReusingFebruary 22, 2012
📓
🐛
😷
🌻
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Uses-For-Coffee-Grounds-Guide.html