Uses for Coffee Grounds

Category Reusing
Used coffee grounds have a number of uses around the house. This guide contains recycling used coffee grounds.

Used coffee grounds are one way to destroy medication. Put coffee grounds and pills in plastic bag, and pour enough water in bag to cover them. Zip up bag and mix well. In just a short time, they will be gone.

Source: I got this tip from a nurse.

By Pudell from Benton Harbor, MI

After making coffee, let the grounds dry then put them into a new filter, a thin fabric bag, socks, or stockings. Secure with thread or staples. Put these coffee bags inside your shoes, in closets, and shelves. They work really well as deodorizers. My family has been doing this forever!

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Odors in the fridge or freezer will be gone overnight if you place a dish of used coffee grounds in a bowl and place it in the center of the refrigerator/freezer. It works better then baking soda!

By Debra from Hampton, TN

Did you know that the coffee grounds that are left after the enjoyment of drinking its richness have many functional uses that can be applied to your everyday living.

1. Add to your compost/soil for nitrogen.

2. A great pest repellent for ants.

3. Fertilizer.

4. Odor absorber for your fridge.

5. Exfoliant for your skin.

6. Add to your hair before shampoo for nutrients.

7. And my personal favorite, cellulite treatment.
So when making that pot or pod of coffee, think to save what brings so much back in ways that are beneficial and keeping green!

Here's a great way to use coffee grounds once you have made coffee. Dump your used coffee grounds into a container and keep, open, in the refrigerator.

The used grounds make your fridge smell like coffee and absorbs all the unwanted odors at the same time.

This was one of the most interesting experiments I ever did before with my shoes and boots. I got curious one day. I kept buying foot powder that was too expensive and would cause allergic reactions to my skin, even if I'm wearing socks.

After I've sprinkled my used coffee grounds around my plants and fruit trees, I rinse off the coffee filter and dry it on my dish drainer.

I am chemical sensitive to perfumes, cigarettes, gasoline, etc. Sometimes we have guests come over with high perfume scents and when they leave the scent does not.

After our family returned to the Pacific Northwest from an extended working vacation, our home smelled of mold. I found myself washing all of the clothes in my drawers and called my mother for advice.

She told me to put coffee grounds (not instant), in small cups or bowls inside of each drawer.

Grass is growing! Hooray! I've finally got the most beautiful green grass where there was almost no grass, thanks to all those used coffee grounds I put out last month!

Here is yet another way to recycle up your used coffee grounds. Fill a pin cushion with them! Use cute scraps of fabric and simply sew together right sides together leaving a small space open.

For a quick, cheap facial scrub: Take your cooled down coffee grounds and scrub your face gently with them. The grounds will slough off dead skin cells, and the caffeine will "wake up" your skin.

Coffee grounds are an excellent addition to your garden soil in many instances. This is a guide about using coffee grounds for strawberry plants.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Used coffee grounds make for a GREAT exfoliant! I keep a jar on my stove and fill it up regularly with used grounds. It's wonderful on the hands and can also be used as an abrasive cleaner combined with dish soap for those "sticky" pans!

Save your used coffee grounds from your morning coffee in an old coffee can, sealed with a lid in a cool area. Keep them on hand until you need to sweep up the garage floor, then use them as a "sweeping" agent to keep the dust down when you sweep.

Coffee grounds that are left in the maker day after day and reused can mold can make you ill. This is a guide about warning: don't reuse coffee grounds day after day.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about using coffee grounds in the garden. Coffee grounds are a great addition to the compost bin and can added directly on the soil for many acid loving plants.

What is the best use for used coffee grounds?

By marie from NJ

Answers

Put them in your plants or compost pile.

Yes, compost them or use them around blueberries and Azaeleas to make the soil more acidic

Anonymous

If you are a craft person Google "crafts using coffee grounds". There are oodles of craft ideas using used coffee grounds. :-)

I can attest to their use for keeping disposal blades sharp. Ice cubes work well too, but coffee is esp' handy, since you have it every day.
Hope that helps.

Roses also love coffee grounds. Add crushed egg shells and this will keep many crawling things you don't want on your roses out. If you need to feed your roses add both close to the plants and under the surface. You can mix coffee grounds with planting mix and improve growth and blooms.

1. Use dried grounds in pin cushions to keep them from rusting.
2. For stubborn grease and stains on pots and pans, coffee grounds really get in there and do the job.

3. Chocolate cake flavorer: Used grounds and fresh grounds both give a little kick to chocolate baked goods, including brownies.
4. Use a mix of coffee grounds and water to dye clothing, paper, or even Easter eggs.

5. An egg white mixed with 1/4 cup grounds makes a great exfoliating face mask.

When using coffee grounds to get rid of kerosene or gas smell, do you use ground coffee or used coffee grounds?. Many thanks.

John from Whitehorse, Yukon Territory

Answers

When I used coffee grounds to get out smells, I used the fresh grounds. I don't know if used ones would work as well. I do not know if they would work on Kerosene which is a pretty strong odor. I put a dish in an antique cupboard to get out the stale smell. I had to do it several times. I also used them to remove mothball smell from a camper trailer closet. I used dishes of baking soda at the same time.

Is this an old wives tale or true? Do coffee grounds down your sink really help clean it out of fat and grime?

By Kathy

Answers

I'm afraid it might aggravate the problem.

"Sink stoppages are usually caused by liquid fats, emulsified by warm dishwater and carried through the pipes. The water cools as it proceeds to the main sewer and leaves the fatty deposits along the way. A film of grease forms on the pipe wall, then another and another. Coffee grounds and bits of food add to this accumulation layer until the pipe becomes impassible.

"Pour excess grease into a tin can and throw it out with the garbage, not down the sink drain. When using a food disposer, always let sufficient cold water run to carry the particles down and into the main line to prevent buildup in the smaller waste lines."

By Dan (Guest Post)

If you really want to have a nice flower garden take your coffee grounds and kitchen vegetable wastes and combine them in a compost pile. Then have your children dig in an area approved by you for worms and add the worms to your compost pile. What they leave you will really improve your flower output as well as getting rid of your kitchen waste. Worms love coffee grounds.

There was a posting for using coffee grinds for odors. I am not sure how it read to use them.

By Marion

I have read what to do with left over coffee, what about leftover coffee grinds? Thanks.

By Lisa from Providence, RI

Answers:

Uses for Coffee Grounds

There are crafts (like dough crafts) which use coffee grounds. You can use some on your hands and hair and the oils in them will soften (condition) your hands and hair. It makes nice "mulch" for potted plants and soil. (10/26/2010)

By Vicki

Uses for Coffee Grounds

They are great for keeping your disposal blades sharp, along with some lemon juice or orange peels, not too many mind you.

Good Luck! (10/28/2010)

By Sandi/Poor But Proud

Uses for Coffee Grounds

My dad used them to keep the dust down while sweeping the carpentry shop. (10/28/2010)

By shirley dobie

Uses for Coffee Grounds

Great article. I've been building a site dedicated to how to best use coffee grounds in the garden. Check out my blog if you want to learn how easy it all is: http://groundtoground.org. (11/01/2010)

By Shane

You can usually use coffee grounds twice. If the second pot of coffee is not as strong as you would like, add a little cocoa for a nice mocha coffee. Keep the coffee grounds and allow to dry completely.

The grounds can be used to deodorize the refrigerator and microwave. For the refrigerator, place a container with a few holes poked in it. For the microwave, place the grounds on a plate, close the door and zap for 1 minute. Coffee grounds are good for preventing freezer odors too. You can also use the coffee grounds to exfoliate your face, elbows, knees, and feet.

Use to deter ants. Just sprinkle around the perimeter of your house. If you need fishing worms, just work coffee grounds into the topsoil. The worms come to the surface. When cleaning fireplaces and garages, sprinkle coffee grounds to limit the dust.

For kid's crafts mix 1 cup dried coffee grounds with 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup salt, and 1/4 cup sand. Slowly add 3/4 cup water until you have the consistency of bread dough. It looks like a brown rock if you let it dry for two or three days. It would make a nice place to hide a spare key if you didn't have a container. Just cover the key with the mixture and allow to dry completely. If it isn't completely dry, it will peel. When dry, the fake rock can easily be broken in half to reveal the key.

Source: my grandparents

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Answers:

I want to find again any information regarding the use of coffee beans for the bad odor in closets. Please send me that information again. Thanks.

By ileana from Luquillo, PR

Answers:

Using Coffee Grounds to Remove Odors in the Closet

I don't know about the coffee, but I do know you can remove musty odors by taking new, clean and cheap clay-based cat litter and pouring it into the leg of a pantyhose then tying it on to a hanger or setting it on a shelf. It's supposed to suck up moisture. This tip was originally for a musty car trunk, but would work for a closet too.

I spray Febreze on to my clothes in my closet to remove odors. I use the vanilla scent because it's light and fresh and not strong or floral. You can use the Febreze made for fabrics OR the kind made for air freshener. You can also set tiny cups of vinegar in your closet. Just put the vinegar into a bottle or a jar with a lid and fill the jar less than half way with vinegar (any kind) then poke holes in the top of the jar. (06/24/2009)

By Cyinda

Just place coffee beans in an open container and place it on a shelf or on the floor in a corner. It does make an area smell good and I happen to love the aroma of coffee ;-) Coffee beans are also good to use when smelling more than one perfume at a time when shopping for a new scent because smelling the beans in between each new 'test' clears/neutralizes your sniffer ;-)

I was going to suggest vinegar for the closet, too :-) (06/24/2009)

By Ann

Actually, I thought it was ground coffee...not instant, but the regular ground up coffee. The beans don't have as pungent of smell. I have tried the dish of vinegar before after someone came to visit and smoked in my house. It worked amazingly well. (06/24/2009)

By Barb

Does anyone know what to do with used coffee grounds from my filter machine? Not sure, but I think you can use them. dried, to unblock a sink. Any other environmentally friendly ideas please?