Used Coffee Grounds to Destroy Medication

Used coffee grounds are one way to destroy medication. Put coffee grounds and pills in plastic bag, and pour enough water in bag to cover them. Zip up bag and mix well. In just a short time, they will be gone.

Source: I got this tip from a nurse.

By Pudell from Benton Harbor, MI

Great tip. But, keep in mind that some cities offer to let you donate those meds to low income clinics.

http://www.ncsl  aspx?tabid=14425

A good place to begin. Every little bit helps.

So glad you posted this. I hate the fact people destroy them down the commode. They need to realize this causes our water supply to be toxic. They are even tracing unwanted medicine to childhood problems like ED or LD.
You have my vote!
Gem

The medications may be melted, but aren't they still there?

Anonymous

I love your idea, Pudell! I currently use my kitty cats litter to do this but I might as well use those used coffee grounds too :-)

Poor But Proud makes a really good point but please know there are less than a dozen states that allow an individual to donate and they must be drugs that are in never opened tamper proof packaging. Bottled by the pharmacist pills or anything expired are not allowed.

Anonymous

schyresti, they're still there but are melted and in the landfill rather than in the water system or in a criminals hands who might be passing them on to others for illegal profit.

I was told, not to do this on account the residue of the pills will go into our drinking water. This makes sense when you stop to think about it.

All medications that you intend to dispose of can be taken back to your pharmacist for this to be done. It does not have to be schedule 3 narcotic types, but all medication.

Your county sheriff department will accept the schedule 3 narcotic type for disposal. Call and talk with the sheriff department manager.

To risk disposal of any method listed... whether in coffee grounds, etc. it still gets into the ground water. Random testings of everyone's local water system shows medications in them all the time. It is up to each municipality to decide to what degree (PPM) they return the water to YOU to drink. Scientists have proven many of our new disease upsweep numbers have a direct connection to the amount of medications in our water source.
Before you say "I buy my drinking water", there is no water source that can filter for all of the pollution in it.

We are reaping what has been sown on this earth of ours, and our health will continue to suffer for it.

Instead of water use vinegar withe the used coffee grounds , put all the componets in a bottle and dispose of in your garbage.

I know this is an older thread, but to me it is important to keep the message about SAFETY in disposing of old medications front and center. This will help everyone protect the water, soil, and our pets and children.

The best and safest methods is to leave it to the pros and take them to a site during medication take back days or your local pharmacy or a police department who has an anonymous drop box.

Until you can get them to a drop off place, keep them locked up and out of the reach of pets and children.

There are three links below to get you started.

disposemymeds.org/.../

www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/.../index.html

www.walgreens.com/.../safe-medication-disposal.jsp

Anonymous

They do not destroy medicine. The FDA just recommends this if you cannot dispose of the medicine another way (take back system at pharmacies) It is a MYTH that coffee grounds neutralize pharmaceuticals. Your nurse source needs some remedial chemistry instruction.