About three years ago, my family moved into a newly constructed house. For the past year, my family has noticed a household smell that is noticeable once you leave our house. As long as you are inside our home, you cannot detect the smell, it is only noticeable when we transfer environments (i.e. go to work, shopping, etc.).
The smell is on your clothing and hair and it lingers. I describe the smell as being that of grease and vitamins mixed together. We have tried airing out the house, burning candles, and spraying products like Febreze in an attempt to eliminate the odor, but it still is present. My family and I are embarrassed about this smell and even avoid getting close to people. Any advice would be great!
By Ashlee from GA
Wow what a problem! I can't think of anything other than citrus.This reminds me of years ago when I had just moved into a new place. My cat had a urinary tract infection that I of course didn't realize till it was to late for my carpet, or so I thought. Thankfully she only went in two corners of my living room. I did everything and used every product available!
My Italian Grandmother said to use lemons. I sliced lemons and laid them all over the area and flipped them once a day then replaced them.Not only did it pull the odor of cat urine out it made my whole house smell good. I guess at this point it's worth a try to go buy some lemons, oranges and even grapefruits. Slice them up and put them around your house. They should last a few days I would think. Good luck to you. One other thing that makes my house smell great is the Swiffer dust and shine. I don't use a swiffer just a micro fiber cloth. It smells great!Please post and let me know how your making out with this. Best of luck!
It sounds like you might need an inspection to make sure there are no chemical leaks. You might want to call on your local fire company and see if they have any way to detect what is causing the smell. Don't wait, please, what you describe sounds like a chemical smell and that can be terribly dangerous. Be safe.
I am with JKuhns7448 to have your home inspected for safety sake. I would have both the fire inspector and the city do it.
I'd strongly advice to get a certified inspector and check the quality/brand of the drywall. Here in south Florida, there have been serious problems with new home constructions due to the use of Chinese drywall. It seems that certain manufacturers of drywall have used materials that create fumes which in turn corrode copper pipes. It's a problem that goes beyond cleaning the walls or airing out the house. Google "chinese drywall" to get more details. Good luck!
I noticed this awful smell on my clean clothes after they hang in the closet for a while. I cannot wear them I have to rewash them they smell so awful. I discovered when I use a unscented laundry detergent I have this issue. In order for me to control the overly perfume small of some detergents I mix just enough of a perfumed detergent with a large amount of unscented. Now my clothes don't have that awful smell.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!