Removing Odor from Smelly Mattress from Bedroom

I bought a mattress off craigslist for an unoccupied room in my house. I didn't realize it had an odor until it was too late. I don't know if it was urine or cigarette smoke or both, but it was pretty gross. So I called a carpet cleaning company to clean up the mattress and see if I could get rid of the smell. After cleaning it I left it in the room for a few days, but the smell only got worse and permeated the room. After having it cleaned one more time to no avail I threw the mattress away.

Now it has been about a week and even though the stinky mattress is gone the smell has not left the room! The room was recently repainted and the wood floors were refinished about a month and a half prior to this mattress ordeal. The room is also empty, there is only one other twin bed that does not stink and a night stand.

I am at my wits end and willing to do whatever it takes to get this smell out of the room ASAP. The smell is a biological kind of bacteria like smell. It is a dirty human smell of that helps. I'm thinking the child of the person who sold me the old mattress urinated on it and tried to cover it up. Also I called the guy who sold me the mattress and found out he also smoked inside his house....awesome.

Please help!

activated charcoal and vinegar will both neutralize any kind of smell

you can purchase activated charcoal here: www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_2?tag=thrif06-20

though you probably need a lot after the situation you describe

and as far as vinegar, just leave an open dish of white vinegar or two (make sure that it cannot fall over!) for a day or so. This should help dissipate the odour.

As far as the pee smell, you could try enzymatic cleaners, though am not sure on what surface you would do this.

These cleaners use enzymes to break up the organic matter that causes the smell. "They work quickly by bio-degrading the stain, grease, oil, dirt, grime, vomit, urine, blood, coffee or food into its basic carbon, hydrogen or oxygen element, eliminating the problem. "

You can buy one here www.chewy.com/.../47647?utm_source=google-product&...

or, if you have brown sugar, citrus peels and a lot of time on your hands, you can make your own: www.wikihow.com/Make-Enzyme-Cleaner

You also really need to air out the room, if you haven't alreadh.

some people also swear by room ozone machines www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1?tag=thrif06-20

these ionizers help to neutralize the smell chemically. I lived in a house where one wasused to neutralize a musty humidity smell in an old house in the South. Worked well.

Use Nok-Out. It sould work.