Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Oxiclean to Remove Gel Ink Pen From Clothing

How do I remove gel ink on cotton shirt?

By Norinelynn from Waianae, HI

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Oxiclean to Remove Gel Ink Pen From Clothing

I accidentally washed a blue gel pen in with a number of dark pieces of clothing. Not seeing the ink stains I even dried them in the dryer. Needless to say, I was ill when I saw 4 of my husband's favorite work shirts stained beyond repair, I thought. I tried alcohol, Goo Gone, and Shout, nothing touched the stains.

I figured I'd get the ink out or die trying. I did it. With Oxiclean, yep I soaked them in hot water with double the amount of Oxiclean, overnight in the washer in "hot" water. In the morning I finished filling the washer with hot water, and ran them through the cycle with detergent, as usual. Amazing. There are nostains left. I will be writing the company singing the praises of their product.

Vicki from OH

RE: Oxiclean to Remove Gel Ink Pen From Clothing

Oxiclean is great for many things, but be sure to dilute it really well. I made a pasty mix and cleaned a spot on my husbands shirt pocket and put it immediately in the washer, but it bleached the spot slightly. Great product but use with caution. (10/26/2004)

By Connie

Science project

When me and my friends were doing our science project we purposely poured red wine on a washcloth. We got other cleaners and did the same. Oxiclean was the only cleaner that got the stain out. That same night I got sauce and mud all over me. My mom was mad as ever but, Oxiclean got it out. The wash cloths I was telling you about were white too. (03/10/2005)

By Ariel M.

RE: Oxiclean restored family heirloom

My mother recently passed down to me her thirty year old glass bread tubes with metal racks. Anyone who bakes homemade bread knows that these tubes are nearly impossible to find. The glass tubes were brown, and covered in thirty years worth of grease and baked on grime. My mother had scrubbed these tubes with SOS pads, Lucky Boy scrubbers, everything. After soaking the tubes in very hot water and two scoops of Oxiclean, the tubes were completely spotless and shiny again. Thank you so much. (09/21/2005)

By Brandi P.

Nope, didn't remove ink from my shirt. Soaked it overnight even. (11/19/2005)

By Jim H.

I also accidentally washed a black gel pen in with a number of pieces of clothing. Not seeing the ink stains I even dried them in the dryer. I tried your suggestion to use Oxiclean and no luck. Oxiclean did not remove the gel ink stains. (08/28/2006)

By Cliff

Another great trick to get out 'ink' from clothing or inside your dryer, carpet, etc., is "hairspray". It works. Try it sometime, the ink will immediately break down and wash away. (01/15/2007)

By Julie R.

Oxiclean didn't work for me, but I found that two different things that were suggested for removing gel ink worked well together. I used rubbing alcohol and then, while it was still wet, "Zep Formula 505" which can be purchased at Home Depot. The two together worked better than either one alone. (07/24/2008)

By Randy R.

Try Amodex

For those of you who can't remove ink with Oxiclean. Try this product I found called Amodex ink and stain remover. I found it online and it works wonders on ink fabrics and surfaces. My three year old daughter marked the wood floor and a couch with a Sharpie and this product took both stains out. Its saved me a couple of times. Its also non-toxic, which is great. (02/04/2009)

By homemom28