Converting Slides Into a Digital Format

I found some old photo slides from my dad. How do I manage to get them into a digital format (to at least view and select for archiving)? Hopefully there are some inexpensive solutions. There are dozens of boxes and a carousel or two. Do I need to to take them to a place to process or develop first? Any suggestions?

By LauraA from Northern CA

Just started looking at this my self, photos are easy just a run of the mill scanner will do the job, but in the case of slides you need more upmarket variety, haven't done a lot of research yet but hoping that getting the slides developed isn't the only option, will take me the rest of my natural life to be able to afford to do them all. LOL

Will be looking forward to many responses to help us both. Good luck with it. Kerry

WalMart will put them on a CD for you for under $3. Each disc holds about 40 photos, the technician told me.

Film Slide
Converting Slides to a Digital Format
Photos PreservationJuly 13, 2009
A baby stroller being used as a dog stroller.
Converting a Baby Stroller Into a Pet Stroller
Converting Email Files
Family Taking Digital Photos
Transferring Digital Photos to Your Computer
Currency Exchange
Exchange Rate Tips and Converting Currency