Feeding Cat People Foods

We adopted a kitten from the shelter. She is now 6 mos old. She loves apples, pears, oranges, carrots and especially yogurt. We do not feed her from the table but if we have any of the above items she goes crazy and we let her have just a little. Could any of the items be harmful? Thank you.

Nicky from Lake Havasu City, AZ

I would consult the vet to be sure, but you might be surprised to find things like fruits and veges in the catfood you buy.

Yogurt has many useful bacterias in it, and that is why it's good for you ( and her too).

My runt of the litter female kitty loves green olives, and sneaks drinks of my creamer enhanced coffee..... lol.

I agree with Dede about consulting the vet. I guess that animals are like people, they all have different tastes. I dated a guy once whose cat loved green beans. They had a terrible problem because she would jump up on the counter and try to get the green beans out of the pot WHILE they were cooking. I just wish I could get my kids to eat as healthy as your cat :)

You really don't have to consult a vet to find out the list of harmful foods, just Google to find out what foods are unhealthy or not safe for felines. There are all kinds of great sites there so if you read a few of them you'll be an expert ;-)

My kitty cat loves corn of all things :-)

I started giving her a small teaspoon of sour cream every morning about a year ago and she hasn't thrown up one single fur ball since and I know she loves getting that little morning treat so a bit of yogurt probably would help do the same for your baby :-)

The main thing is everything in moderation ;-)

I find it interesting that your baby seems to have such an interest in all those sweet, but natural, snacks. Cats usually do not like citrus, it offends their little noses. I agree that you can learn a lot from doing your own internet research, but if she continues to crave the sweet snacks after she is older, at least give your vet a call to be sure there isn't a particular reason for it all. Otherwise, your little one has a great diet! I wish I could use those items for my cats in place of regular cat treats. Give your kitty some hugs and her own fruit salad! I read of a cat who likes cantaloupe, so maybe yours may like it too.

Just keep the onions away and make sure she gets enough protein. My neighbor used to give her cats some butter, which kept them from having problems with hairballs. I wouldn't give her preprocessed foods, like pickles or olives (too much sodium), but veggies probably are good for her, She may never get fat like so many pets (mine) by eating this way. Cats are scavengers, so she may have eaten these things in the garbage and acquired a taste for them.

I have never known a cat who would eat the foods you've mentioned. I dont think they will hurt her, but to make sure you'd have to talk to a vet.

I think the yogurt may be good for her. My cat loves yogurt and if she hears us open one she wants to share. I have to make sure to have a dish on hand for her to use.

My cat loves to share. We've noticed that if we get a drink of coffee or water, she likes to have water in a little tea cup too. She seems to think its a tea party. I think she feels a part of our "pride."

Good luck and thanks for being such a good parent to your pet.

Most fruits and vegies are ok for pets, but watch out for onions, grapes, raisins and apple cores and seeds. The apple seeds contain arsenic and are poisonous.

Run the list by your vet--my dog will eat anything anyone else has at the time. She stole a vegetarian garlic pizza off the counter one day, left the all meat tomato pizza.

Allie also would ravage the garden if her leash reached that far. She loves all the vegies in it. Apples, bananas, lettuce salad. My vet said to stay away from the known NO NOs and let Allie have all the vegies, fruit she wants. For a treat--freeze a yogurt and then let her have it. Thinks its ice cream.

Pets CatsFebruary 10, 2009
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
soft cat food
Feeding a Cat Soft Food