Starting Sunflowers from Seeds

When do we plant those huge sunflower seeds, in Tucson, AZ?

Hardiness Zone: 9b

By Carmen from Tucson, AZ

I suggest to plant them after the cold weather is gone so the seed will not rot. Good luck.

November 11, 2009 Flag

I bought some cut sunflowers from the store and wonder if the seeds are or will mature so they will dry out and be able to be planted. Or do I need to start with sunflowers that are still in the ground?

By Mockingboyd from Charlotte, NC

Starting Sunflowers from Seeds

I never have luck with any kind of seeds except the ones that mature on a plant, let the seeds get dry on plant then gather them. Let dry a few days then you can plant them or save them for next year to plant, good luck. (04/10/2009)

By kffrmw88

Starting Sunflowers from Seeds

I've found that they all grow. Sunflowers are so easy, that's why little kids plant them in paper cups to grow. I get them sprouting up from where the birds have dropped them, and I take a few out of a bag of bird seed to plant around my garden in the summer. They'll grow pretty much anywhere. (04/11/2009)

By knitter06040

Home and Garden Gardening FlowersNovember 11, 2009
Ants Eating Sunflowers
Growing Sunflowers
Growing Sunflowers
Growing Sunflowers in Containers
Growing Sunflowers in Containers
Trumpet Vine Seed Pods
Starting a Trumpet Vine From Seed Pods