Painting Bathroom With Black Fixtures

I have a black toilet and sink in a half bath off of my kitchen. What colors should I paint the walls?

By Crystal from Anchorage, AK

I suggest white paint, good luck.

My sister has a half bath off her main floor hall. She has the black toilet and sink. She wallpapered the whole room in a very expensive, embossed silver paper. It has a slight blue tinge to it and is shiny. It looks stunning! And the room is small, so the expensive paper didn't cost much, as she only needed 1 roll. Cost less than a hundred bucks for the whole room.

I would go with a rich golden tan, such as Benjamin Moore's desert tan (which actually has some gold in it depending on the light). Try their color visualizer:

http://www.benjaminmoore.com

Black fixtures are a special order/exotic kind of item. If you are bold enough, use a wallpaper with some black in it, then pick up other colors in the paper with towels and mats. Plants always help, no matter how small, even a tiny one on a shelf. I'm a decorator, so I tend to go bold. For example, I used a black background wallpaper with huge tropical leaves in one bathroom, because the adjoining room was done in a tropical theme. You can follow some of black into your kitchen (black appliances would really be great), black table/chairs, some black in your window coverings, small appliances, towels etc. Good Luck!

December 5, 2009 Flag

I have a black tub and sink and will be putting in terracotta tiles. Could you help with a wall color? We have bead board on the bottom half of the wall; I was thinking about painting it black. For the upper half of the wall, I was thinking golden or tan colors, I have a very cool shower curtain that is off white/light beige with a black design. It's kind of Moroccan I think. This bathroom is very small.

blacktub from Beaufort, SC

Answers:

Painting Bathroom With Black Fixtures

In a small space, the last thing you want to do is add dark colors. It makes it seem much smaller than it is. I would take your shower curtain into the place where you plan on purchasing your paint, and use the two colors on the curtain to paint your walls. They can match the paint to the curtain. Use the darker tan on the bottom, and the lighter color on the top. This way you will have the illusion the room is taller. If you want to bring more black into the room, do it in accessories like picture frames, sconces, your towel rack, etc. (09/12/2008)

By srryder

Painting Bathroom With Black Fixtures

I think I would paint the beadboard a deep red. I think there is a shade called Moroccan Red. Do the top in the off-white/tan from the shower curtain. That would give the illusion of the room being bigger. The black would be too dark and the tan all over would be too bland. The red would make the design in the shower curtain pop. (09/13/2008)

By Deedles

Painting Bathroom With Black Fixtures

If you're a conservative person, I'd go with dark charcoal or even a lighter gray or rose-pink on the walls, but if you like bold things and like to take risks, go with either burgundy or a bright red on the walls or any 2 of these choices, using the darker color on the bottom and the lighter on the top.

PS, If it were me, I'd rethink the terra-cotta tiles, because it greatly limits your color choices and instead, go with glass tiles in silver or multi-hue. (09/15/2008)

By Cyinda

Painting Bathroom With Black Fixtures

Black is very dominant here and dark as in your case; no window? Using the terra cotta tiles puts limitations on colors you can use to compliment the bathroom. Go with an off white/ light beige flooring marbleized with black in it. Then choose the lightest color in the flooring to put on your walls at the top. Choose the second lightest color for the beadboard.

There's enough black in the tiles to enhance the bathroom and merge tub and sink and also match the shower curtain. Add a black framed picture or mirror to the wall or a graphite pencil or charcoal drawing framed in the darker color of beige for the upper wall and/or a sconce/vase of bright flowers or a glass container of colorful bath salts for a third color.

Choose black towels or the darker beige in the shower curtains or go bold with a color from the flower arrangement or bath salts as an example.

(09/15/2008)

By Lorelei

Painting Bathroom With Black Fixtures

I would use an almond/beige color and then decorate with black scroll candle holders and white or cream candles. I did this in my bedroom and it always gets compliments. I painted my old wood bedroom furniture black, the walls almond tan, trim white, and put a white net over the bed and a white Maltese coverlet on the bed. I got cream sheets with black lace at Kohl's and pillows with black lace. You could probably find some towels like those or make them yourself, just add black lace to white or almond towels. You can also go with scroll towels at Target. I painted all the picture frames black, too. It is nice and neutral. You can add one color if you want. I added a blush pink, here and there. I also used glass vases and white roses. Nice touch. Kinda hacienda style with a touch of class. (09/16/2008)

By Luckyonetexas

Painting Bathroom With Black Fixtures

I think going for the same shade as the terracotta tiles, but much lighter would look wonderful. In a very brave moment I painted the whole inside of my house terracotta, except bedrooms which are one white and one dark blue. I just love it, and people always say they think it looks great. Your bathroom would look very "designer" in those colours. Have some black and some terracotta towels. Beautiful.
Leah from Australia. (09/16/2008)

By Honto

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceDecember 5, 2009
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes
🎉
🎄