Cleaning Bathroom Fixtures

Category Bathroom
A faucet's polished surface looks best when it is clean. Everything from water spots to toothpaste can make your bathroom fixtures look unsightly. This is a guide about cleaning bathroom fixtures.

To keep water marks off your sinks and faucets, use baby oil on them. Put the baby oil on to a cloth and wipe down your sink and your faucet. Works well on stainless steel too. I've also used it on my backsplash which is made of silver metal sheeting.

By Terry

After wiping my makeup off with a facial cleaning cloth, I use it to wipe off my bathroom sink faucet as well as the towel holder. It quickly removes the dirt and grime from the faucet and towel holder, leaving them both bright and shiny.

By Pam from Burlington, KY

Cleaning your fiberglass tub with "The Works" does work really well, but be very careful not to get it on the faucets because it will discolor and ruin them.

By Debra from Wichita, KS

If you need to clean and shine your bathroom taps in a hurry (that's faucets to you guys, I believe) grab a soft rinse impregnated sheet, meant for adding to your clothes dryer, and just buff for a great shine. Can be doubled up to clean around the back of the taps and leaves no reside.

By Maureen from Lincolnshire UK

Shine chrome bathroom fixtures with a little baby oil. It helps them look clean and shiny longer.

By Laura C

Keep window cleaner and paper towels in each bathroom so you can give the faucets, mirrors, and porcelain a quick wipe whenever the mood strikes you., which may not be often, but at least you'll be prepared!

I am trying to clean the "gunk" that settles around the base of the faucets and I can't get it off. Anyone know how to do this effectively?

Thanks!

Mindy from Oregon

Answers

By jean (Guest Post)

When my faucets are "gunky", I place 2-3 thicknesses of paper towels around the base of the faucet, and saturate them with vinegar. I leave them on over night, and clean them up the next morning. If really bad, I repeat the process. The vinegar smell dissipates quickly.

By Sharon (Guest Post)

Hi. I just did this in my bathroom. If you have a Dollar General Store nearby, they have a product for $1 The Works that will take it right off. I buy this only for this use and my toilets (well water stains) because nothing else has ever worked.

HomeCare Labs
PO Box 491150
Lawrenceville, GA 30049
www.TheWorks.Com

Sharon in SC

By kathi in Wisconsin (Guest Post)

I use CLR. Careful, tho,use rubber gloves as it can burn your hands.

Cleans up gink and water spots that come from hard water.

I just use an old, stiff toothbrush and lots of water. You might also be able to find a flat, stiff brush at a cleaning supply store that would work even better. My mom had a great one from Fuller Brush.

By Jackie (Guest Post)

The Vinegar totally works, I don't even soak it over night....when really gunky, I pour vinegar around them. Leave them while you clean the rest of the washroom. Like Jean says, if really bad repeat the process. Your faucets will look like new! Then for maintenance, I put 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water in a spray jar, spray the faucet (works for mirrors too) and then wipe dry.

By (Guest Post)

I've have good luck with Lime Away product sold in the cleaning aisle of the grocery store used with an old toothbrush.

If the vinegar alone doesn't 'cut it' (sorry about the terrible pun!), sprinkle a bit of baking soda around the faucets then replace the vinegar-soaked towels. Combined, the two products will bubble the gunk loose.

When my taps (faucets) get gunky I use either kitchen or bathroom cleaner and an old toothbrush. Always works for me.

thanks - never thought of vinegar and it worker perfectly!

Tips for cleaning bathroom faucets. Post your ideas.

Answers

A razor blade works wonders for stubborn build up around sink faucets. Then clean as usual afterward.

By tara

Chrome faucets are easily cleaned with soapy water. Rinse and wipe dry with a paper towel to restore luster. An old toothbrush helps get deposits of dirt out from under edges of faucet. For hard-to-remove spots, use silver polish, rinse, and wipe dry.

- MSU Extension

By Marian (Guest Post)

Mr. Clean(or any good cleaner applied with an old toothbrush to clean around taps. The finishing touch is to wipe down the faucets with rubbing alcohol.

It will evaporate leaving nothing but the shine. Great for kitchen faucets too.

By Mari (Guest Post)

Soak a washcloth in vinegar and wrap it around the faucet. Let it sit overnight and the mineral build up is really easy to wipe down in the morning.

When I buy a new toothbrush I put the old one in with the cleaning supplies.
They are GREAT for cleaning faucets.
I use them for hard to reach corners that a mop can't get to, etc.
I hope this works for you.
By Lynn

By Smuffie (Guest Post)

I clean with Avon Bubble Bath. It smells great, and takes very little to clean, just a half capful in a sink of water. Your taps will shine and there is no rinsing needed. Non toxic which I really like. I use it also to clean my mirrors and they shine with no rinsing required. I just wipe them down with a sponge and they are done. Great for wallls, floors, etc. It leaves no residue either.

By Mel Pahoa (Guest Post)

How do you clean shower faucets without
loosening them from the stall wall?

By Samantha (Guest Post)

Windex makes faucets nice and shiney!

I just moved into a new apartment where all the bathroom fixtures are new. I would like to know of a safe way to clean them. Also, my bathtub has a non-skid bottom (not strips). Any advice on what type of cleaning products to use ?

Thanks

By Louise from Queens, NY

Is there a product or cloth that will help with removing hair from outside of the toilet and sinks?

By willie from Albany, OR

Answers

Anonymous

It's as simple as any cleaning rag, water and some elbow grease ;-)

You can do a quick job of it by getting into the habit of just swiping those areas with plain old toilet paper to remove the hair. Flush that away and then use disinfectant wipes over the same areas to kill bacteria and maintain the clean.

What's the best way to clean polished nickel bath fixtures?

By Katia

I had a fire in my apartment, and the smoke was so thick, the bathtub and the toilets are stained with smoke. I tried many things to scrub them with, but it won't go away. Can you help?

How do you remove cloudiness and spots from bronzed metal faucets? I have 2 year old Delta "venetian bronze" faucets and sprayed a soap scum remover product on them while cleaning my tub. Now they are cloudy and spotty. It looks as if I have never cleaned them. Have I ruined my faucets? How can I fix this?

SJV from Farmington, CA

Answers

When i was a home health aid. The lady wanted me to clean her faucets with vinegar -- she had it in a spray bottle. it worked. Hope this helps you.

What is the best way to clean brushed nickel faucets of hard water buildup, without damaging the surface?

By Jill from Richmond, VA