Making Vegetarian Gravy

I am a vegetarian and now that Thanksgiving is coming along, I suddenly thought, "Wait a second, what should I do about gravy this year?" I haven't had gravy ever since I've become a vegetarian. I guess I just want some gravy that doesn't contain any animal products. So if you have a really yummy vegetarian or vegan recipe for Thanksgiving, please share. Thank you.

By Cara from Farefield

One gravy I like is tomato gravy. You saute onions until golden, add a can of chopped tomatoes and cook a little longer. Make a flour paste and add to the tomatoes and onions, add some water if to thick. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve on potatoes or biscuits. Yum!

Here's a couple of links for recipes: ... recipes/Vegetarian_Gravy_Recipes.htm

You can buy vegetarian stock powder or even vegetarian gravy mix at most supermarkets. Use these as your base - add some dried herbs or flavours like onion or garlic - if using the stock powder add some corn flour/flour made to a paste in water and heat over the stove until thickened. I've been a vegie for about 15 years and have never missed out!

My daughter's a vegetarian and I'm allergic to milk, so I had to learn to make gravy we could both eat! Fortunately, it's easy. Saute finely-chopped onions and minced garlic in a little olive oil, and use this instead of the meat fat in any gravy you'd like to make.

For example, I'll often make a simple "biscuits and gravy gravy" in the skillet, add a little black pepper, then stir in just enough flour, a teaspoonful at a time, to make little clumps of flour. Turn off the heat and stir in just enough soy milk (you could use cow's milk if you prefer) to make a gravy a little thinner than you want your end product to be. Turn the heat back on just barely long enough to warm the gravy, and then take it immediately off the heat, stirring constantly. (If it goes too long, it'll get too thick. You can thin it out with more milk or water, but if you do that too much you'll sacrifice flavor.) Serve immediately over fresh biscuits! (Salt to taste after serving.)

Another option, for a more Thanksgiving-style gravy, is to add cornstarch dissolved in cold water instead of the flour and soy milk. You could also follow any other gravy recipe you like, with the basic idea that garlic and onions in oil make a good substitute for the meat fat they use. Happy cooking!

You could use cream of mushroom soup thinned to the desired consistency with milk. Add gravy master or some other browning sauce to give it a nice rich brown color.

Vegan Gravy

1/4 cup flour (of your choice)

1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes

1 1/2 cups of hot water or heated soy milk

2 Tbsp. Braggs Liquid Aminos

2 Tbsp. Olive or Canola oil

onion powder to taste

garlic powder to taste

salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil, add flour and stir. Add hot water or heated soy milk next. Stir with whisk. Add remaining ingredients and simmer on medium until thickened as you stir with whisk.

When I want a quick gravy that taste good, I heat chicken or beef stock and thicken it with the flour and water paste. The same could be done with Vegetable stock or broth. It has plenty of flavor but if you want more flavor, season to taste with herbs, salt and pepper.

Take 3 Tbsp. of oil and put in pan. Heat and add some mushrooms. Cook until light brown and remove. Add 3 Tbsp. of flour and stir until light brown. Add a can of Vegetable broth and put back your mushrooms. Cook down until as thick as you want. Add salt and pepper. This is as good as giblet gravy over your dressing. I have even added sliced boiled eggs to the gravy and that makes it even better.

Homemade Gravy on Mashed Potatoes
Homemade Gravy Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes VegetarianNovember 17, 2009
Photo of brown gravy on a turkey sandwich.
Homemade Brown Gravy Recipes
Plate of food covered in gravy.
Gravy Making Tips and Tricks
Woman With Vegetables
Becoming a Vegetarian
Turkey gravy in a gravy boat.
Making Turkey Gravy