Browsing: Making Homemade Dryer Sheets

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making Homemade Dryer Sheets

Dryer sheets soften your clothes and help prevent static. They can be quite expensive, so making your own can save you money. This is a guide about making homemade dryer sheets.

Making Homemade Dryer Sheets
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 13, 2016 Flag

Instead of adding liquid softener to the wash, make these easy reusable dryer sheets!

Total Time: 1 minute plus drying timeEasy Reusable Dryer Softener Sheets

• your favorite liquid fabric softener
  • some washcloths

Related Products:

1. Simply place your washcloths into a container and add your favorite liquid fabric softener. Get it nice and saturated. You can always pour the remainder back into the bottle.
  2. Easy Reusable Dryer Softener SheetsEasy Reusable Dryer Softener Sheets
  3. Squeeze out the washcloths so they don't drip, but aren't bone dry.
  4. Hang them to dry.
  5. Easy Reusable Dryer Softener Sheets
  6. Just throw one into your wet laundry load in the dryer.
  7. Afterward, replace back into the container. Each cloth lasts multiple (a dozen) times and the scent is added in the dryer!
  8. Easy Reusable Dryer Softener Sheets

July 9, 2010 Flag

Take a package of soft cloths (e.g., generic brand of J-Cloth) and cut them in half. Soak in fabric softener, wring out well, and hang dry. When ready to put a load of clothes in the dryer, slip a dried softener sheet in. These can be used a few times over and then you can start the soaking process over again. The sheets last forever and you'll never need to buy fabric softener sheets again.

By sooz from Toronto, ON

December 27, 2011 Flag

Pour a dab of fabric softener on an old sock then put in the dryer with your clothes. It can be used for several loads. It saves using Bounce sheets.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

September 16, 2009 Flag

This isn't homemade, but it stretches your softener. Get a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and add to it:

Stir the ingredients together and when you add a load of clothes to your dryer, squeeze out 1 piece of sponge and add it to your load.

After the load is dry, replace the sponge in the softener. This stretches your softener 3 times as long.

By Jesjospig

March 19, 2012 Flag

Does anyone know how to make homemade dryer sheets using vinegar? I don't have a softener bucket in my washer and I am not always around or hear the final rinse so putting it in that way is not really an option.

By Cynthia M

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The OP said that putting the vinegar in the rinse cycle isn't an option. That's why s/he was asking about vinegar dryer sheets. Anyone brave enough to try it and let us know? Perhaps by pouring 1/2 c vinegar on a wash cloth and putting it in the dryer.

This tip I read in a magazine has worked: You need liquid fabric softener and a washcloth. Pour about a teaspoon in the softener cap, then put a clean washcloth into the cap to absorb the fabric softener liquid. This washcloth is your dryer sheet! I use the same washcloth for several loads and then wash it with my load of towels and start fresh again. One bottle lasts a long time. Once I learned that dryer sheets don't biodegrade I wanted to stop using them and this has been a good solution.

I take 1 cup of cheap fabric softener, 1 cup water, and 1 cup of white vinegar and mix them together. I put it in an old plastic Folgers can. Then I use a sponge and soak it in the solution. When I need to use it, I wring the sponge out back in the can. If you are like me, and you hate the feeling it leaves on your hands, just take a small hand towel and wipe your hands, and throw the towel in to the dryer.

And no, before you ask, it does not make your clothes fade, or leave spots on anything you dry. I have been doing this for about 6 years now. It leaves your clothes soft, and static free. And no spots. Thank you for allowing me add my opinion. Weezy

Dryer sheets are basically scented chemicals and fabric softener leaves a waxy residue on clothes. It also seems to build up mold in front loading machines. They are basically used for fragrance which is unnecessary if clothes are properly washed and clean.

However vinegar works wonders for odor control disinfecting and as a fabric softener. It has endless uses and not only do I use it as the final rinse in my h/e front load washer but also prewash all of my dirty microfiber cloths in several cups of vinegar and a hot water cycle. If the micro fiber has had excessive dirt or multiple cleaning chemicals, I then proceed with a small amount of detergent and another hot cycle. I've learned that from a tip and was shocked that white vinegar could completely clean micro fiber Rags.

Apple cider vinegar is also great to rinse hair prior to washing as it cleans the scalp and all residue in addition to being anti bacterial and anti- fungal. Shampoo will wash the odor out but it also makes your shower smell good as you are bathing. Again, since it has so many uses ...vinegar will become your friend!

Yes I have its 1 cup of vinegar and some essential oils of your choosing but I honestly think this is better and you can even make your own fabric softener. It's really easy. 3 cups of water 1/2 cup of vinegar 1 cup of hair conditioner and I melt some unstoppable stop make it smell really nice. That's what I use to soak my rags or old mismatched socks. Hope this helps

February 1, 2011 Flag

I have read the posts on how to make your own fabric softener. Can you then, instead of putting it in on the rinse cycle make your own sheets as others have recommended and use the homemade softener on a sheet in the dryer? I always forget the rinse cycle. Thanks.

By Lorrie from OH

I have used the fabric in the dryer when it was still wet with the fabric softner. Just wring out the fabric so that it is just damp. I used to keep a piece of towel and a jar of fabric softener on my dryer.

You can also use some inexpensive hair conditioner. I just grab the largest bottle at the dollar store. Use a clean cloth or rag, wet and squirt a bit of conditioner on it. Throw it into the dryer and try with your clothes. I have used this several times when I have been out of dryer sheets or don't want to spend the money on dryer sheets.

I've read to use either clothes or inexpensive sponges cut in half. You can water down liquid softener in a bucket and leave sponges in there. Wring them out and use in dryer.

Time how long it takes your washer to reach the final rinse cycle (usually about 20 minutes) and set your cell phone or microwave timer to alarm in 20 minutes, reminding you to put in the fabric softener.

I always set my timer I use in kitchen,I don't have a cell phone.

August 16, 2006 Flag

How do I make homemade fabric softener sheets?

ALSO A SPONGE WORKS GREAT. THEY ARE REALLY CHEAP AT THE $ STORE AND CAN BE CUT DOWN TO THE SIZE THAT U WANT. JUST DROP IT IN THE SOFTNER MIXTURE AND SQUEEZE OUT THE ACCESS. WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!

I simply pour a little fabric softner on an old washcloth. (or you can spray it on from a bottle) I can use it 4-5 times before having to pour more on the rag. I've done this with the same old rag for the last 6 months!

I simply pour a little fabric softner on an old rag (or you can spray it on from a bottle). I can usually use the rag 4-5 times before having to put more softner on. I've used the same old rag for this purpose for the last 6 months!

July 9, 2010 Flag

Although dryer sheets are so convenient, I discovered a way to keep my clothes static-free for less. I cut up clean, old washcloths into quarters, then soak them in liquid fabric softener. I squeeze one out to toss into the dryer with each load.

Once I have used each one, I then spritz it to re-wet it with a very diluted mixture of water and a little liquid fabric softener. It re-activates the softener, plus I avoid the wringing and using more softener. I also use the spray bottle of water and softener on wrinkled clothes I don't want to iron. Works great!

By Elle1972 from Columbia, MO

Answers:

Make Your Own Fabric Softener Squares

This is a much greener idea than the one-use, commercially-made sheets. I'll have to try it! (04/05/2010)

By JustPlainJo

Load More
Make Your Own LaundrySeptember 15, 2011
foil ball
Alternatives To Dryer Sheets
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
Cutting dryer sheets in half.
Saving Money on Dryer Sheets
Dryer Sheets
Are Dryer Sheets Safe for Birds?
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 16, 2016 at 7:05:21 AM on 10.0.1.77 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.