How Do I Remove Diesel Fuel from a Dog's Coat?

How do I remove diesel fuel from a dog's coat?

By Binky

The safest way is with dawn dish soap and you may have to do it two or 3 times to get it out.

Hello, I totally agree with Fuzzy. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years and that is what we used when there was an oil spill in the San Francisco Bay. We used it on all the sea birds, otters and any other mammals that were affected. You might have to do it a few times. Rinse the dawn off really well as the soap residue can cause a skin rash. Good luck. How did your dog get the fuel on him in the first place?

As the wife of a trucker and the owner of 2 very inquisitive dogs, I've "been there, done that"!

Fuzzytufts has it right. 2, 3, or sometimes even 4 baths with Dawn dish soap and as warm water as your dog can handle is the best way. Diesel is much worse than regular gas or even oil. But once you've gotten all the diesel out of the dog's coat, be sure and put some softener (regular people hair conditioner, the kind that is rinsed out) on him/her, let it sit on him/her for about 5 minutes to soak into his/her skin some, then rinse him/her good. This'll help replenish some of the skin oils that were taken out with all the washings.

Be sure and wash around her eyes really well with a soapy wash cloth and rinse good, also in and around her ears and butt too.

Also, be sure it's Dawn, and not another brand. There is something in Dawn that is better than any other brand on cutting through grease and oil, and diesel too.

do I wash him once a day or one after another?

Pets Dogs GroomingApril 21, 2011
work boots
Removing Diesel Fuel from Shoes and Boots
man servicing a semi truck
Cleaning Diesel Fuel on Concrete
A homemade dog coat.
Making a Dog Coat
cleaning a car interior
Cleaning Diesel Fuel Odors From Inside a Car