Cleaning Diesel Fuel Odors from Clothing

Category Odors
The smell of diesel fuel can be quite overpowering when spilled on clothing. This is a guide about cleaning diesel fuel odors from clothing.

Does anyone know how to remove the smell of diesel fuel from hands and clothing?

Michelle from PA

Answers

By Jill (Guest Post)
Best Answer

My husband is a truck driver and we have had this problem a lot on his work clothes. He has a hand cleaner called Fast Orange. We got it at Wal-mart, they also carry it at auto parts stores. I put a little of that on his clothes and wash as usual. It gets the smell and the greasy feel out of the clothes. I would think it would work just as well for your hands.
Good Luck!

By Kelly (Guest Post)
Best Answer

My husband spilled diesel on his hands tonight and we saw that Simple Green might get rid of it, so we tried it. The smell is gone for the most part. We're satisfied with it!

By Veronica (Guest Post)
Best Answer

My husband works in the oil field and always reeks of diesel. Getting sick of running to the laundry mat everyday, finally I just threw some baking soda and vinegar in with laundry soap, in the washer, and the smell came out.

I was shocked!

By Ellen (guest) (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Try soaking the clothes in a tub of warm water or washer after agitating a few minutes with 1 cup of Tide or degreaser like Dawn dish soap for 2 hours (this breaks down oils in fuel). Drain this water off, then rinse, and then refill tub or washer with warm clean water and a 2 liter bottle of Coke and a whole box of baking soda agitate it around to mix it up with the clothes. Let this soak for 12-24 hours. Wash like normal. There is not even a faint fuel smell left. This could get expensive if you do this each load for some one who works and gets full of fuel/gas all the time though.

Best Answer

My husband work in the oil field and his clothes had a horrible smell. I tried everything I knew to remove the odor. I saw the post by Alisa and I tried Fast Orange Smooth with a little ARM and Hammer with oxy detergent.

The clothes came out smelling wonderful. The detergent balanced out the orange smell. It was hard to find the smooth in a large container. But O'reilly auto parts can order it! Thanks so much for sharing the info!! ;-)

How do you get diesel smells out of clothes?

By Karen O. from Holsworthy, Devon

Answers

Best Answer

To get rid of the oil add 1 can coca cola to your wash ten add 1 cup vinegar to rinse

Is pumice in the fast orange that bad to put in the washing machine to remove diesel fuel from clothing?

By Stacey s

Answers

Best Answer

I would recommend Dawn dishwash liquid and hot, hot water. Pumice works like sand paper and the diesel has worked into the fiber of the material. It may take several cycles to remove the diesel and the Dawn itself, so don't use too much Dawn.

If you can, stop the wash cycle after the clothes are saturated and let the items soak for 10-15 minutes to allow the water and Dawn to permeate the fabric. Vinegar in the rinse cycle will help get soap out.

WARNING: Dawn suds like crazy and you will have a mess if you use too much. Add a little at a time until there is a very thin covering of suds on the top of the water. Good luck.

How do you get diesel fuel out of a cotton shirt?

By Jolene Mitchell

Answers:

Removing Diesel Fuel Smell from Clothing

First put "GOOP" the hand cleaner on to any stain.

Then wash it in your machine with 2 cans of Classic Coca-Cola (not sugar-free) in with your regular laundry soap.

Smell the shirt before you place it in the dryer. Do not put it into a hot dryer until the odor is gone or the heat may "set" the stain and odor.

Afterwards, you can also spray it with Febreze and hang outside in the fresh air. If this doesn't work, you can also try Oxiclean. (04/03/2010)

By Cyinda

How do you get diesel fuel out of clothing?

By Marie

Answers:

Here in Mississippi, the orange hand cleaner is called Gojo. They have it at WalMart and AutoZone and various other car part stores. Sometimes it can be found at Dollar General, also. I have used it to remove hydraulic fluid stains and it works pretty well, but it may take a couple of tries to get it done. (11/18/2009)

By BelindaO

My husband has worked on aircraft fuel tanks for years. He comes home reeking of the JP-8 jet fuel that he gets exposed to. I'm extremely allergic to any kind of scented products so I had to find a way to remove the smell from his clothes without using more chemicals. Get ready, it's the simplest thing and it always works.

I put everything he wears including underwear and socks that reek of jet fuel in the sun. Sometimes it can take from a few days to a week, but it always works. The sun's rays just bake the smell out. Make sure you get all areas exposed to the sun and turn inside out as well. (12/13/2009)

By GAIL

How do I get the odor of diesel out of clothes? I have washed and air dried them, but the smell is still there. Thank you for all your help.

Burn from Omak, WA

Answers:

Try sudsy ammonia. Pour at least one cup per load of clothes. Wash as usual. (12/20/2008)

By Joyce Lambert

I had my therm-a-rest stored in the garage and diesel ended up getting all over it. I tried the washing machine over and over with no luck. Then I tried the orange hand cleaner I use to wash my hands after working on the car. It took a lot of it, but it worked! I thought for sure I was going to have to buy a new one. Now, let's just hope the bears can't smell it. (12/28/2008)

By Chris

Okay, that's great. I have spent the last 1/2 hour on line looking for an "orange glo" multi-purpose cleaner. Doesn't exist, the only thing they advertise is floor cleaner. Where are you getting it? I couldn't find it at Dollar General either. (01/08/2009)

By Natalie

I soaked jeans that diesel had spilled on in a bucket with Downy fabric softener for 2 hrs, and then washed normally and the smell was gone. (01/13/2009)

By KELLY

I just wanted to share something that I've done with my husband's clothes for years. He drives log truck and works on it so there is always the smell of diesel and other oil, lube stuff and whatnot on his clothes. I know the orange works, but I don't usually have it, or not enough to wash his clothes with it, but I do have lemon scented ammonia all the time. I just pour some in the wash with his clothes and they always come out smelling good. Ammonia doesn't take out the color on anything so it's safe to use on colored clothes.

Also, a friend of mine has always used a small can of Coke to take out the diesel stains and smell. She just dumps it in the washer along with the soap. Hope someone can use this! (08/18/2009)

By Carla

Can you clean diesel fuel from leather and mesh shoes?

How do you get diesel fumes from a Navy ship out of clothing? Just washing doesn't help.

My husband works with diesel all day long and he comes home smelling of it. I have no clue in how to remove the smell off his clothing I know not to wash it in our own washing machine and I really can't soak it.

I am requesting any information regarding the elimination of diesel fuel smell from clothing. I have tried washing (twice actually) with regular detergent but the smell remains.