Removing Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Odors From Clothing

Category Laundry
This is a guide about cleaning fuel odors from clothing. If you have ever spilled fuel on your clothing, you know that the odor is sometimes difficult to remove.

I need to clean some clothes that have some diesel fuel on them. Thanks.

By Bill from Flat River Desloge

Answers

Best Answer

I soaked jeans that diesel had spilled on in a bucket with Downy fabric softer for 2 hrs, and then washed normally and the smell was gone.

Best Answer

My husband has worked on aircraft fuel tanks for years. He comes home reeking of the JP-8 jet fuel that he gets exposed to. I'm extremely allergic to any kind of scented products so I had to find a way to remove the smell from his clothes without using more chemicals. Get ready, it's the simplest thing and it always works.

I put everything he wears including underwear and socks that reek of jet fuel in the sun! Sometimes it can take from a few days to a week, but it always works. The sun's rays just bake the smell out. Make sure you get all areas exposed to the sun and turn inside out as well.

Best Answer

I used to use pinesol in the wash to remove diesel.

Anonymous
Best Answer

1 cup of Simple Green along with detergent and wash in hot or warm water. I found this recipe for getting gasoline and motor grease out of clothes, and it works! 

Anonymous
Best Answer

The generic answer is, you need a degreaser agent that is safe on clothes. My favorite is a product called Greased Lightning, it works well, is safe on clothes, and smells decent, sold at Home Depot.

How do you get diesel fuel out of clothes?

Answers

Best Answer

If there is a lot of fuel to be removed, add a bottle (about 64 ounces) of household ammonia (about a dollar where I live) to the wash water, using your regular detergent. DO NOT ADD BLEACH! When rinsed and dried, there will be no ammonia scent.

Diesel fuel is a petroleum (oil based) product. Ammonia is the best oil and grease dissolving agent on this planet.

I do not recommend this method for hand washing, as the ammonia fumes, though temporary, are quite strong. Ammonia, like oxygen, is a gas. Any remaining fumes will quickly dissipate into the air.

Best Answer

Add a can of Coca-cola with your detergent and wash as usual. Coca-Cola takes out grease.

My elderly mother washed her clothes with a container that had fuel oil in it instead of laundry detergent. How do I get fuel oil smell out of her clothes?

By vmccook from Tunkhannock, PA

Answers

Best Answer

GO to the local auto parts store and pick up a bottle of 'pink stuff' (real name) this pulls the smells of kero, gas etc from clothes, car rugs etc. Ria

My husband spilled diesel fuel on his clothes. I have tried several things such as Febreze for laundry odors with no results. What do I do?

Answers

Best Answer

Baking soda will perform MIRACLES on odors, so I bet it can tackle stinky diesel fuel!
You will need to soak the clothes in warm or hot water that has baking soda added. I would try maybe 1/2 to 1 cup baking soda per gallon of water. You could do this in a top-load washing machine (stopped), or in the bathtub or in a big bucket. Stir the baking soda into the water very well, so it is somewhat "disolved". Dunk the clothes and let them soak for a while, maybe 1/2 hour. Pull them out and wash as usual, with the warmest water appropriate for the fabrics. As an extra boost, you could also add Oxy Clean to the laundry load. (The Dollar Store has an Oxy cleaner/laundry additive that works quite well and is much cheaper than the brand name). Hopefully this will work. I have seen baking soda and water cut some really persistent stinks, like super-smelly old Teva sandals (before they put anti-stink stuff into the rubber), and kitchen sponges that stink even after they've been boiled/disinfected.
Good luck! And please let me know if this works!

I am trying to remove jet fuel smell from clothing. Normally I am limited to a laundromat so presoaking would be difficult. I have presoaked in Coke, used borax, baking soda, lemon juice, hanging in the sun, that worked when I had three sunny days, but did not remove it from rubberized material - waist band of underwear, and Lestoil. The last, Lestoil, really got to the ground in dirt and removed a lot of the smell, but not all. None of the others worked. I see using Murphy's oil soap, Fast Orange, etc. on this site. Do they work? How much?

Also, need to rid my apartment fo the odor. Any thoughts? All recommendations appreciated.

By Alden from Somerville, MA

How do you get gasoline off clothes?

Teresa from Cincinnati, OH

Answers:

Gas Smell on Clothing

It was my husband's work clothes, but I always kept the clothes outside and let the rain and sun clean out most of the smell and then washed as usual. Hang outside to dry. (02/25/2009)

By kghsave

Gas Smell on Clothing

I've had trouble getting the gas smell out too, until I found this stuff at my local Publix, but apparently it's not available nationally yet. It actually got the smell out completely. I was shocked!
www.fishhandsoap.com (05/06/2009)

By MissMary

Gas Smell on Clothing

I washed a full load of laundry twice using 1/4 cup Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile soap in my front-loading machine. I then line-dried the load, which is gasoline-odor free. (05/11/2009)

By Austin Girl

Pumping gas or refilling a gas powered mower or tool are all opportunities for an accidental spill onto your clothes. This is a guide about cleaning gasoline smell from clothing.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about cleaning diesel fuel odors from clothing. The smell of diesel fuel can be quite overpowering when spilled on clothing.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes