Removing Diesel Fuel Smell from Clothes

My husband spilled diesel fuel on his clothes. I have tried several things such as Febreze for laundry odors with no results. What do I do?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

Baking soda will perform MIRACLES on odors, so I bet it can tackle stinky diesel fuel!
You will need to soak the clothes in warm or hot water that has baking soda added. I would try maybe 1/2 to 1 cup baking soda per gallon of water. You could do this in a top-load washing machine (stopped), or in the bathtub or in a big bucket. Stir the baking soda into the water very well, so it is somewhat "disolved". Dunk the clothes and let them soak for a while, maybe 1/2 hour. Pull them out and wash as usual, with the warmest water appropriate for the fabrics. As an extra boost, you could also add Oxy Clean to the laundry load. (The Dollar Store has an Oxy cleaner/laundry additive that works quite well and is much cheaper than the brand name). Hopefully this will work. I have seen baking soda and water cut some really persistent stinks, like super-smelly old Teva sandals (before they put anti-stink stuff into the rubber), and kitchen sponges that stink even after they've been boiled/disinfected.

Good luck! And please let me know if this works!