Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
Some diesel fuel got spilled on our cement basement floor and am wondering how to get rid of the smell and stain?
Betty from Cowichan Bay, BC
I don't know if this will work for diesel fuel or not, but I put down kitty litter when oil gets on our driveway. I just put down enought to cover the spot and grind it in with my foot, making a powder. Sweep it off and the spot disappears. If might be worth a try. I don't know what to tell you about the smell. Good luck.
I clean gas station islands that have diesel fuel that spills on the concrete. The concrete cleaners from your local hardware stores do not work. Is there anything that will take diesel fuel off easily?
At Home Depot you can get a product called Krud Kutter. It takes grease out of everything but I've never tried it on concrete. Painters use it for clean up and spills. You might try it - it's highly concentrated and I use if full strength all the time.
It's wonderful stuff. Someone once told me that Pert shampoo would take oil stains out of concrete as well.
Have you tried Meriatic Acid? Just pour it on, let it stand 10 minutes and rinse it off.
Muriatic acid? Hydrochloric acid? Wave bye-bye to your concrete!
Right. I used muriatic acid on my driveway where my truck leaks. Now I have pitted concrete.
#2 heating oil has leaked from the pipe in the basement. The concrete is saturated and the smell is awful. The house is vacant at this time, but is it possible to even remove that smell and the oil from the concrete?
Try Nok-Out for the smell. There are concrete cleaners on the market.
I would try a one two punch of letting a cheap kitty litter sit on the stain for a few days AND run a fan (if this is possible) in an open window in or the near the room.
The trick with the fan is you don't want to feel the air blowing INTO the room, you want it in the opposite way (backward so to speak) so the air is being sucked OUT of the room.
If that is not possible to do this through an open window, skip this step as you don't want to pull the smell into another part of the house, it will defeat the purpose.
Back to the kitty litter...after a few days sweep it up and see how the room smells. You may need to repeat a few times until it wicks the stuff up and the smell goes with it.
Good luck! Be safe and avoid using harsh chemicals. You don't want to risk anything that could cause a fire!
Just to be safe: You do not state how large a spill you have and since this is in a confined space/basement; I would highly recommend you contact the fire station in this area and ask their advice. It seems they would be willing to tell you if any procedures or products recommended would/could be dangerous. They may even have some suggestions of their own.
Caution: Muriatic acid should never be used on concrete (can be dangerous stuff besides it will damage concrete).