Cleaning Diesel Fuel on Concrete

Diesel fuel spills on concrete are common in garages, workshops, and driveways. This is a guide about cleaning diesel fuel on concrete.

Some diesel fuel got spilled on our cement basement floor and am wondering how to get rid of the smell and stain?

Betty from Cowichan Bay, BC

Answers

By Jean in GA (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I don't know if this will work for diesel fuel or not, but I put down kitty litter when oil gets on our driveway. I just put down enought to cover the spot and grind it in with my foot, making a powder. Sweep it off and the spot disappears. If might be worth a try. I don't know what to tell you about the smell. Good luck.

I clean gas station islands that have diesel fuel that spills on the concrete. The concrete cleaners from your local hardware stores do not work. Is there anything that will take diesel fuel off easily?

John of Seattle

Answers

By Annie (Guest Post)

At Home Depot you can get a product called Krud Kutter. It takes grease out of everything but I've never tried it on concrete. Painters use it for clean up and spills. You might try it - it's highly concentrated and I use if full strength all the time.
It's wonderful stuff. Someone once told me that Pert shampoo would take oil stains out of concrete as well.

By Marilyn (Guest Post)

Have you tried Meriatic Acid? Just pour it on, let it stand 10 minutes and rinse it off.

Muriatic acid? Hydrochloric acid? Wave bye-bye to your concrete!

Right. I used muriatic acid on my driveway where my truck leaks. Now I have pitted concrete.