Removing Diesel Fuel Smell From Hands and Clothing

Does anyone know how to remove the smell of diesel fuel from hands and clothing?

Michelle from PA

By Jill (Guest Post)
Best Answer

My husband is a truck driver and we have had this problem a lot on his work clothes. He has a hand cleaner called Fast Orange. We got it at Wal-mart, they also carry it at auto parts stores. I put a little of that on his clothes and wash as usual. It gets the smell and the greasy feel out of the clothes. I would think it would work just as well for your hands.
Good Luck!

By Kelly (Guest Post)
Best Answer

My husband spilled diesel on his hands tonight and we saw that Simple Green might get rid of it, so we tried it. The smell is gone for the most part. We're satisfied with it!

How did you us it just spry it on the clothes

By Veronica (Guest Post)
Best Answer

My husband works in the oil field and always reeks of diesel. Getting sick of running to the laundry mat everyday, finally I just threw some baking soda and vinegar in with laundry soap, in the washer, and the smell came out.

I was shocked!

Anonymous

I have used this for years, wash the clothes in warm/hot water as usual, then for the rinse, put about a 1/2 cup of white vinegar in the rinse water, takes any smell out of the clothes.... its a great and cheap fix, works every time, also works for any animal urine odor as well... just fyi,,,,

Anonymous

I tried that twice and clothes still smell...urgh!

By Ellen (guest) (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Try soaking the clothes in a tub of warm water or washer after agitating a few minutes with 1 cup of Tide or degreaser like Dawn dish soap for 2 hours (this breaks down oils in fuel). Drain this water off, then rinse, and then refill tub or washer with warm clean water and a 2 liter bottle of Coke and a whole box of baking soda agitate it around to mix it up with the clothes.

Let this soak for 12-24 hours. Wash like normal. There is not even a faint fuel smell left. This could get expensive if you do this each load for some one who works and gets full of fuel/gas all the time though.

Anonymous

I'm going to try this idea I hope it works. Thanks for the idea

Best Answer

My husband work in the oil field and his clothes had a horrible smell. I tried everything I knew to remove the odor. I saw the post by Alisa and I tried Fast Orange Smooth with a little ARM and Hammer with oxy detergent. The clothes came out smelling wonderful. The detergent balanced out the orange smell. It was hard to find the smooth in a large container. But O'reilly auto parts can order it! Thanks so much for sharing the info!! ;-)

By suzanne from louisiana (Guest Post)

the fast orange cleaner--do you think it is safe to put in the washer with the clothes and the detergent? my husband works in a refinery and his work clothes are soaked in it, my bedroom and bathroom smell so bad I have to keep the doors shut any suggestions??please help

By Lisa (Guest Post)

Acetone will cut the residue off of your washing machinge after washing shop clothes and rags and towels. It smells too, but cleans fast and dries fast and leaves no residue on your machine that could transfer to your other clothes. The only thing worse than stinky clothes from diesel is having all of your laundry smelling like deisel.

My husband does that part for me b/c I can not handle the smell.

By russel (Guest Post)

I Use Brilliant on my boots it removes the diesel stains and keeps them really shiny and nice

By (Guest Post)

I just read that adding a cup of vinegar or more to your wash will remove the smell of diesel from your clothes!

By Barb (Guest Post)

Fast Orange also works on grease stains and PB Blaster also works on diesel stains as well as on clothes and hands.

By Bishop (Guest Post)

I had the unfortunate experience of getting diesel gasoline all over my hands, and I tried everything possible to get the smell out,(I didn't have any industrial strength cleaners available) so finally I had the Bright idea of using clay face masque (oatmeal & and avocado) but i'm sure any kind will do. basically the clay drys and absorbs all the oil from you hands as it is meant to do on you face and Vwalla! NO MORE DIESEL SMELL! Hope this helps someone else out. geez I hate that smell.

By Sandy (Guest Post)

I tried the vinegar and baking soda it helped some, but the clothes still smell. Guess I'll try the Fast Orange.

By shar (Guest Post)

Simple green can be purchased at costco or sams club in large bottles. Does anyone know if this is safe for the skin? Also is fast orange irritating to the skin? My sons works on an oil rig and his feet, hands and fore arms are raw from the diesel fuel and oil he works in.

By landrover (Guest Post)

I own a Landrover. Diesel is the eu de cologne of the day. Try toothpaste on your hands.

By Joan (Guest Post)

We had our RV in the shop and they spilled diesel on the carpet. I'll try all of the above. I'm desperate! I'll let you know how it works.

By Alisa (Guest Post)

I echo Jill's post above. I was nervous about putting Fast Orange with the laundry, but I tried everything else above: soaking overnight in extra detergent, adding lots of vinegar to the wash, and nothing even faded the smell. I poured probably 1 cup of the Fast Orange (Smooth, with no pumice) with no other detergent into the cycle, and though the clothes smell strongly of orange, they no longer smell like diesel.

This load was a mix of cotton & synthetic fabrics (wool socks, nylon/spandex underwear, cotton tshirts, cotton twill shorts) and it didn't discolor or fade any of the fabrics. I am so glad I found this suggestion! Thanks so much.

I seen this question, so I had to chime in. LOL! I've been a truck driver for 15 years and I tried everything to get the diesel smell out. Fast Orange (W/ or W/O pumice) works the best. Adding baking soda is ok too.

I accidentally threw an old rag with two way thinner and turps on it!!
it reeks and ive put it through three washes already!!???

My late husband was a farmer, current boy friend runs a asphalt plant. The best way to remove disel smell from clothing is to add vodka to the wash. Use regular laundry detergent (currently like Persil) & about 1 cup of vodka. Just don't use the good stuff, I have a cheap bottle I keep in the laundry room. Now go pour yourself a drink you deserve it.