Giving Ear Drops to a Dog

When giving your dog ear-drops, give him a treat then wrap his whole body tightly in a large towel, leaving his head free. Wedge him on a long sofa with one person holding his body against the back of the sofa, while the other person strokes his head, lifts his ear flap, and uses a long soft plastic nozzle to administer ear drops. He will react to the cold temperature, but if gently done, it should not be difficult to do.

By Ronald

April 4, 2011 Flag

My husband and I are having a hard time giving our dog his ear drops. He is a Blood Hound and snaps at us every time we try to put the drops in his ear. Any suggestions how we can do this?

By Jean from Aldan, PA

Answers:

Giving Ear Drops to a Dog

Give him a few treats, then cover his face with a towel and continue giving treats. Desensitize his ears while keeping his eyes covered and giving treats. Pet his ears, put your finger in (gently!), etc. Once he seems okay with this, then try the drops. (01/09/2011)

By thefranks2009

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 9, 2011 Flag

My dog needs to have ear drops in both ears. I am looking for a way to hold the dog and do ear drops alone. Any suggestions?

az2010 from Easthampton, MA

Answers:

Giving Ear Drops to a Dog

Whichever way you do it, make sure to reward your dog with a special treat. Something that he likes the most. I have a Border Collie and he will do anything for a ball. Good luck.
(04/16/2008)

By Suzie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 3, 2008 Flag

My 3 yr old terrier mix has an ear infection in both ears. My problem is that he's giving me a really hard time with getting the drops in. I even brought a muzzle, and it's still a fight. Does anybody have any tips?

Trish from Durham, NC

Answers:

Giving Ear Drops to a Dog

Our dog didn't like it either, but depending on how 'mad' your dog gets maybe this will work!

We would smear some peanut butter on the fridge at her level and she'd lick it off. While she's busy at that, we'd kinda straddle her (she's big) and do the drops. She still didn't like it, but was occupied and didn't care as much. (03/01/2007)

By carolb

Giving Ear Drops to a Dog

When I had dogs with chronic ear problems I not only had to put in drops but had to clean out their ears with a swab daily, a painful procedure. I took the dog into the bathroom and shut the door (lessening escape route) I sat on the floor with the dog between my legs and loved him a while, gave him treats and talked to him. Even though he would occasionally whimper, he sat still and let me treat his ears. (03/02/2007)

By Linda

Giving Ear Drops to a Dog

When the vet use to clean my dogs ears she would put it on a cotton ball, put the cotton ball in the dog's ear and squeezed it gently. The liquid would then go in the ear instead of everywhere else. (03/02/2007)

By denise warner

Giving Ear Drops to a Dog

We have cats and they may be smaller than your dog, but I sit in a couch chair with arms and put the animal between the arm and me. I have a table near to use q-tips and other stuff handy. My arm goes over top of them and I turn my body to keep them penned in. They try to get out the back of me but I just lean back farther. This gives me one hand to work with and one hand to move and position the head.

Good luck. (03/03/2007)

By chml

Giving Ear Drops to a Dog

Try backing them into a corner. (03/07/2007)

By Cathy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Vet treating dog's ear.
Treating a Dog's Ear Infection
Pets Dogs HealthApril 4, 2011
Spice Drop Roses
Making Gum Drop Roses
woman using eye drops
Homemade Eye Drops
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears
🎉
🎄