AdviceHealth & Beauty

Including Eggs in a Healthy Diet

How many hard-boiled eggs are good to eat in a day?

By Marimar

Well, technically because of the cholesterol, we are advised to eat only 2 or 3 eggs a week. However, you can eat all the egg whites you want with no concern. They don't have the cholesterol, but have plenty of protein, etc.

Anonymous

It's recently been reevaluated about cholesterol in eggs being so bad for everyone. There is good cholesterol (HDL) and there is bad cholesterol (LDL) and it's the overall balance between the two in your daily diet and in your own genetic makeup that matters.

As long as you are healthy and your two types of cholesterol are in balance and you don't have signs of heart disease I doubt there would be a problem with having a couple of hard boiled eggs a day. One thing to keep in mind though is how many other products that contain eggs that you eat a day. In general eggs are very good for you because of their high protein and nutrients.

ThriftyVicky is correct that the egg whites don't have any cholesterol.

I have a cousin who actually cracks open three to four raw eggs a day and drinks them whole :-o He's been doing this for breakfast for decades and he's healthy as a horse.

I've eaten two yolks plus one whole egg scrambled together at least three times a week (I prefer the flavor of the yolks) for as long as I can remember and my cholesterol is in perfect balance and no signs of any heart disease. My lungs are a different story because of breathing too many bad chemicals my entire, almost sixty year, life though - LOL ;-)

I have high cholesterol so my doctor told me to cut back on the eggs. I had been eating 2 a day most days, plus maybe some egg salad sometimes for lunch, and of course however many I used in cooking dinner.

I have cut back to no more than 2-3 times a week having them for breakfast. Also I started buying the eggs that come in a carton and don't have as much cholesterol (I forget the brand and am out of them right now) I use those for cooking, and also many times I'll scramble those up for breakfast. They taste the same as the "real thing".

But my cholesterol has been coming down, so I must be doing something right. Oh, I also read the labels on other foods and try to keep the cholesterol intake as low as possible.

I agree with Deeli. I think that eggs have gotten a bad rap over the years. They are not the culprits they once were. However, perhaps you should consult a dietician or a site that specializes in health advice - a government or public health source.

Dr. Oz considers eggs one of the "miracle foods", he recommends everyone have 1 a day. The cholesterol in eggs doesn't affect your cholesterol unless you have that genetic version that people tend to get at very young ages.

Wish I'd been wise enough years ago to not listen to all the garbage about the foods that are bad for you! I used to eat eggs every day & had great cholesterol. Then when all the hype came out, I quit eating them, except occasionally. Glad it's 'safe' to eat them again! LOL!