Spider Repellent Recipes

Many people are scared of spiders, or simply don't want them in or near their house. If you are one of these people, then you need a spider repellent. This page contains recipes for spider repellent.

October 9, 2015 Flag

I see peppermint oil keeps mice away. I have been told it also stops spiders if put round windows and door ledges. Anyone heard of this and do you mix it with water and at what ratio?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My husband, an entomologist who keeps various spiders in his home office, doubts the idea that spiders can be repelled with peppermint oil. However, there are many sites that support this idea so a very easy online search for "how to make spider repellent peppermint oil" produced many replies. You can try a search yourself or this great site to start:

http://everydayroots.com/how-to-get-rid-of-spiders

June 15, 2013 Flag

Can someone give me some ideas to help me keep spiders out of my home?

By Geraldine from Milford, CT

Try to go through your place & seal up any tiny cracks that may allow any critters to get in through. Also don't leave doors open buy for a second.

Spiders don't like peppermint. Put peppermint oil on cotton balls and set them out where the spiders come in or where you see them.

Spiders hate lavender. Spray areas using a mix of lavender oil and water (1:5 or to your strength; I love lavender so mine is pretty potent). I've also used commercial sprays with lavender that have done the job. Great for your linen closet too!

Of course sprigs of lavender around would work too.

December 28, 2014 Flag

I have spider mite sacs all over the ceiling of my front porch. Not even spraying them with a hose works to get rid of them.

By Billie

Are you certain these sacs are from spider mites? Please see this description:

"Spider mites are not true insects, but are classed as a type of arachnid, relatives of spiders, ticks, and scorpions. Adults are reddish brown or pale in color, oval-shaped, and very small (1/50 inch long)  about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. Immature stages resemble the adults except only smaller.

Mites live in colonies, mostly on the underside of leaves, and feed by piercing leaf tissue and sucking up the plant fluids. Feeding marks show up as light dots on the leaves. As feeding continues, the leaves turn yellow, and may dry up and drop off."

Spider mites are a common problem in gardens and agriculture and do not live in sacs on buildings as they need plants to survive. You have several options:

1. Take a sample of the sac and insect to your local county insect control department for identification and suggestions how you can resolve your problem.

2. You can purchase natural or awful bug spray to try to kill the insects. Once the insects are dead, you can remove the sacs from your front porch. However, if you decide to remove the sacs on your own, be sure every insect is dead. If you do not know what insect made the sacs, you may risk bites from some very bad spiders-brown recluse, black widow, etc.

3. Your best and safest option is to have a pest removal service remove the sacs. They will identify the insect and be able to safely remove it. This will protect you and others from possible bites.

Well, we don't have any dangerous spiders here, and if there are egg sacs or webs, I just sweep them down with a broom. If you felt they were dangerous, you could burn them or bag them up and toss them in the garbage. Most spiders are actually beneficial, as they eat a lot of insects. The spider mites I am familiar with sometimes infest house plants, and they are not beneficial, but they are very tiny and gotten rid of with an insecticide soap or something similar.

August 20, 2010 Flag

Is there a plant, oil, lotion, etc. that will keep me from getting bitten by spiders?

By Tammy from Wenatchee, WA

Are you sure that you are getting bitten by spiders? are they abscesses/boils instead? It is more common for people to have repeat abscesses/boils than repeat spider bites.

Yes I'm sure that we are definitely being bitten by spiders. And no I don't like sweets really, occasional fresh fruit is about as sweet as i can handle most of the time. But thank you for answering me. Any other suggestions?

If the spider problem is in your home, you should see about fixing that before you do anything to discourage them from biting you. Being prone to spider bites would severely creep me out and I'd be looking to get rid of them before anything else.

June 1, 2006 Flag
Q: I am looking for a spider deterrent for my patio area. I have pets and so do not want to use chemicals or toxic products. I do not want to kill the spiders, I would prefer a homemade solution that I could spray or apply around the "people" areas of my garden.

Any ideas?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Danamango From Montreal, Canada

A: Danamango,

If you get rid of the insects they eat, you will eventually get rid of the spiders. I have seen the following home remedies for repelling spiders. I've never tried any of these myself, but they certainly sound interesting. If you (or anyone on this site) try one of these methods, let me know if it works!

• Chestnuts: place them around patio doors and around the perimeter of the balcony or deck to repel spiders.

• Strong Essential Oils: (Canola, cedarwood, citronella, garlic, lavender, cinnamon, peppermint, tea tree oil, etc.) Combine 5 drops of any of these oils to 1 quart of water and a bit of dish detergent. Spray around desired areas.

• Chewing Tobacco: Add 1 package of chewing tobacco to 1 gallon of boiling water and let cool. Strain and save liquid. Add 1 cup of the liquid to a 1/2 cup of lemon scented dish detergent. Pour into a spray bottle and treat the desired area. (Recipe by Jerry Baker, America's Master Gardener).

• Lemons: Spiders taste with their feet and are repelled by lemon oil, and even lemon-scented pledge. (This advice is supposed to be straight from the folks at Arachnophobia-the movie).

• Osage Orange (Horse Apples): Quarter them and place them around the perimeter of affected areas.

Ellen

Also, Eucalyptus will keep spiders away.

I've yet to try the chestnuts but friends that swear by it say the important thing of it is that there fresh picked chestnuts and only work for the season.

I have a major, major case of arachnophobia and just moved into a ground floor apartment (not the smartest idea, I know). I placed several chestnuts at my doors, windows, in closets, and nooks and crannies. I also sprinkled red pepper flakes at doors and windows as I heard this can be a good deterrent.

Very unfortunately for me, neither of these things worked! There was a big one in my place just a few days after moving in so I am going to try the lemon pledge and lemon oil route. I also want to try and avoid poisons as I have respiratory problems.

October 2, 2013 Flag

I manage an apartment complex in a rainy area and there are a lot of spiders (especially pumpkin spiders). I'm having to knock down webs daily. I am trying to find a repellent that will not harm children, adults, cats, or plants that can still be effective when wet and can be used to cover large areas.

By Malinda

Hedge apples if you can find them spiders hate them place them around the affected area sure they grow in most of the Midwest.

August 29, 2010 Flag

What is a natural spider repellent?

By Budd from Fox Lake, IL

Try this...

add 1/2 oz. coconut oil to one quart of white vinegar

Coconut oil may be found in the grocery store in the baking section or in the snack section next to the popcorn oil. Health food stores will also carry it. It is solid at cool temperatures so you may need to warm it to a liquid form. Pour into a spray bottle and shake well to mix, then spray away. Be careful around delicate linens or furniture, it may stain. Best use is for outdoors, basements, garages etc.

October 5, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

August 29, 2010 Flag

What is a natural deterrent to spiders in the home?

By Nancy

July 19, 2010 Flag

I am looking for spider repellent suggestions.

By tcs31796 from Warwick, GA

Answers:

Spider Repellent Recipe

Diatomaceous earth is a natural insect repellent to use around the base of your house, individual rooms, etc. You can also eat it (I do). It actually kills insects.

Editor's Note: Be sure that the diatomaceous earth (DE) is intended for human consumption. Medical-grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans. (10/08/2009)

By Saddlebum

Spider Repellent Recipe

Mock or Osage oranges actually work well. Just tuck them into corners and closets or anywhere spiders are seen. I've even hung them from my skylights in the kitchen and bathroom. OK. I glittered the ones in the kitchen first, but they worked well. We get those nasty black spiders that jump at you and didn't have any last year. (10/12/2009)

By Shosha

October 8, 2009 Flag

Is there a natural, safe repellent that I could put on the house so that the spiders won't get established? I live near a lake, which hatches little bugs in clouds. This brings the tiny spiders that blanket the buildings and landscape plants around here. It's very ugly. I don't want to kill them, because more would be arriving soon.

Kim from Moses Lake, Eastern WA

Answers:

Spider Repellent Recipe

Don't know if this works, but was talking to a friend who went to visit another friend and they had bundles of clover tied in the barn and he told her that spiders don't like clover. So if you know someone who lives in the country grab some clover and give it a try. (10/06/2008)

By PICO

Spider Repellent Recipe

Yes, it is a good bet to try hedgeapple (or osage orange, same thing) "fruits". These look like green, bumpy oranges and have a citrus-y smell. They chased away the spiders in my bathroom, and looked nice in a basket on the counter. (10/12/2008)

By Deb

Spider Repellent Recipe

Be very careful about using mothballs in your home. The chemical [naptha, I think] is toxic to our liver and the smell will always be present, long after the mothballs are gone. There are enough chemicals present in our lives that weaken our immune system and promote disease without our deliberately bringing them into our homes. (11/07/2008)

By Mary Alice

Spider Repellent Recipe

Just used some hair spray (Schwarzkoph super hard) to flush out a spider from a window sill. They curl up and stop moving if you spray them enough. I'll try using some vinegar and oil to repel further spider incursions. (12/01/2008)

By Joe the Plumber

Spider Repellent Recipe

Diatomaceous Earth is a natural way to get rid of any insect or bug. Its safe to use around pets as well and comes in a food grade form. Farmers use it to worm their livestock. Humans consume it to remove parasites and sprinkling it in your carpet, around your home or in the grass will completely rid your home of insects and bugs. Keep in mind, if you use this method, you will also kill a lot of good bugs. Not to mention earth worms. So I personally only use it indoors for fleas, ticks, and spiders. (12/27/2008)

By Rachel

Spider Repellent Recipe

Here in New Zealand we have a problem with white tail spiders. There is a product called 30 Seconds Cob Web remover. Its made from acetic acid (vinegar), capsicum (chili peppers), soaps, and oils. It says its 100% natural. You just spray it on and it breaks down the cobwebs and leaves a film which is odourless and helps prevent spiders building cobwebs. You could try mixing your own with similar ingredients. I have had success with essential oils, liquid soap and water sprayed interior and exterior. (01/31/2009)

By Milly

Home and Garden Pest Control SpidersAugust 26, 2011
Two kids standing in the rain wearing colorful rain boots.
Making Fabric Water Repellent
Spider Veins
Spider Vein Remedies
Spider decoration on a light fixture.
Making a Spider Egg Sac Light Cover
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
🎉
🎄