Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Spider Repellent Recipes

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Spider on web with dew drops on it.

Many people are scared of spiders, or simply don't want them in or near their house. If you are one of these people, then you need a spider repellent. This page contains recipes for spider repellent.

Here are questions related to Spider Repellent Recipes.

Question: Natural Spider Repellent

Closeup of spider.I manage an apartment complex in a rainy area and there are a lot of spiders (especially pumpkin spiders). I'm having to knock down webs daily. I am trying to find a repellent that will not harm children, adults, cats, or plants that can still be effective when wet and can be used to cover large areas. Spider and web in shrub.

By Malinda

Most Recent Answer

By Kenneth R.03/13/2014

Hedge apples if you can find them spiders hate them place them around the affected area sure they grow in most of the Midwest.

Question: Keeping Spiders Out of My Home

Can someone give me some ideas to help me keep spiders out of my home?

By Geraldine from Milford, CT

Most Recent Answer

By mollygirl44406/20/2013

Spiders hate lavender. Spray areas using a mix of lavender oil and water (1:5 or to your strength; I love lavender so mine is pretty potent). I've also used commercial sprays with lavender that have done the job. Great for your linen closet too!

Of course sprigs of lavender around would work too.

Question: Spider Repellent Recipe

What is a natural spider repellent?

By Budd from Fox Lake, IL

Most Recent Answer

By Diane08/30/2010

Try this...
add 1/2 oz. coconut oil to one quart of white vinegar

Coconut oil may be found in the grocery store in the baking section or in the snack section next to the popcorn oil. Health food stores will also carry it. It is solid at cool temperatures so you may need to warm it to a liquid form. Pour into a spray bottle and shake well to mix, then spray away. Be careful around delicate linens or furniture, it may stain. Best use is for outdoors, basements, garages etc.

Question: Discouraging Spider Bites

Is there a plant, oil, lotion, etc. that will keep me from getting bitten by spiders?

By Tammy from Wenatchee, WA

Most Recent Answer

08/24/2010

A spider bite or two is normal once in awhile but if you're getting more than that then you need to stay away from areas where spiders hang out and populate or, as Spanish Girl mentions, if they are in your home you need to rid the inside of your home of the spiders. There really isn't anything that is going to stop them from biting you other than staying away from them.

Question: Spider Deterrent

Q: I am looking for a spider deterrent for my patio area. I have pets and so do not want to use chemicals or toxic products. I do not want to kill the spiders, I would prefer a homemade solution that I could spray or apply around the "people" areas of my garden.

Any ideas?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Danamango From Montreal, Canada

A: Danamango,

If you get rid of the insects they eat, you will eventually get rid of the spiders. I have seen the following home remedies for repelling spiders. I've never tried any of these myself, but they certainly sound interesting. If you (or anyone on this site) try one of these methods, let me know if it works!

• Chestnuts: place them around patio doors and around the perimeter of the balcony or deck to repel spiders.

• Strong Essential Oils: (Canola, cedarwood, citronella, garlic, lavender, cinnamon, peppermint, tea tree oil, etc.) Combine 5 drops of any of these oils to 1 quart of water and a bit of dish detergent. Spray around desired areas.

• Chewing Tobacco: Add 1 package of chewing tobacco to 1 gallon of boiling water and let cool. Strain and save liquid. Add 1 cup of the liquid to a 1/2 cup of lemon scented dish detergent. Pour into a spray bottle and treat the desired area. (Recipe by Jerry Baker, America's Master Gardener).

• Lemons: Spiders taste with their feet and are repelled by lemon oil, and even lemon-scented pledge. (This advice is supposed to be straight from the folks at Arachnophobia-the movie).

• Osage Orange (Horse Apples): Quarter them and place them around the perimeter of affected areas.

Ellen

By Ellen Brown

Most Recent Answer

By Daniel (Guest Post)03/01/2009

I'm trying to keep spiders out of my shed. I've tried vinegar, lemon curd, pepper and conkers all of them don't work.

Solutions: Spider Repellent Recipes

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Spider Repellent Recipe

Is there a natural, safe repellent that I could put on the house so that the spiders won't get established? I live near a lake, which hatches little bugs in clouds. This brings the tiny spiders that blanket the buildings and landscape plants around here. It's very ugly. I don't want to kill them, because more would be arriving soon.

Kim from Moses Lake, Eastern WA

RE: Spider Repellent Recipe

Don't know if this works, but was talking to a friend who went to visit another friend and they had bundles of clover tied in the barn and he told her that spiders don't like clover. So if you know someone who lives in the country grab some clover and give it a try. (10/06/2008)

By PICO

RE: Spider Repellent Recipe

Yes, it is a good bet to try hedgeapple (or osage orange, same thing) "fruits". These look like green, bumpy oranges and have a citrus-y smell. They chased away the spiders in my bathroom, and looked nice in a basket on the counter. (10/12/2008)

By Deb

RE: Spider Repellent Recipe

Be very careful about using mothballs in your home. The chemical [naptha, I think] is toxic to our liver and the smell will always be present, long after the mothballs are gone. There are enough chemicals present in our lives that weaken our immune system and promote disease without our deliberately bringing them into our homes. (11/07/2008)

By Mary Alice

RE: Spider Repellent Recipe

Just used some hair spray (Schwarzkoph super hard) to flush out a spider from a window sill. They curl up and stop moving if you spray them enough. I'll try using some vinegar and oil to repel further spider incursions. (12/01/2008)

By Joe the Plumber

RE: Spider Repellent Recipe

Diatomaceous Earth is a natural way to get rid of any insect or bug. Its safe to use around pets as well and comes in a food grade form. Farmers use it to worm their livestock. Humans consume it to remove parasites and sprinkling it in your carpet, around your home or in the grass will completely rid your home of insects and bugs. Keep in mind, if you use this method, you will also kill a lot of good bugs. Not to mention earth worms. So I personally only use it indoors for fleas, ticks, and spiders. (12/27/2008)

By Rachel

RE: Spider Repellent Recipe

Here in New Zealand we have a problem with white tail spiders. There is a product called 30 Seconds Cob Web remover. Its made from acetic acid (vinegar), capsicum (chili peppers), soaps, and oils. It says its 100% natural. You just spray it on and it breaks down the cobwebs and leaves a film which is odourless and helps prevent spiders building cobwebs. You could try mixing your own with similar ingredients. I have had success with essential oils, liquid soap and water sprayed interior and exterior. (01/31/2009)

By Milly

Archive: Spider Repellent Recipe

I am looking for spider repellent suggestions.

By tcs31796 from Warwick, GA

RE: Spider Repellent Recipe

Diatomaceous earth is a natural insect repellent to use around the base of your house, individual rooms, etc. You can also eat it (I do). It actually kills insects.

Editor's Note: Be sure that the diatomaceous earth (DE) is intended for human consumption. Medical-grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans. (10/08/2009)

By Saddlebum

RE: Spider Repellent Recipe

Mock or Osage oranges actually work well. Just tuck them into corners and closets or anywhere spiders are seen. I've even hung them from my skylights in the kitchen and bathroom. OK. I glittered the ones in the kitchen first, but they worked well. We get those nasty black spiders that jump at you and didn't have any last year. (10/12/2009)

By Shosha

Archive: Spider Repellent Recipe

What is a natural deterrent to spiders in the home?

By Nancy