Chlorine Bleach Alternatives

I have tried using hydrogen peroxide as a non-chlorine bleach. But my whites were not as white as I thought they would be. What else can I try?

By Glenda from Arlington, TX

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

There are some answers in the archives below ;-) I will also add that other things I've learned since then by reading various ThriftyFun posts is drying whites on the line in the sunshine and using Oxiclean. Hope this helps :-)

My whites were getting very dingy I was using chlorine bleach and I used 20 Mule Team Borax 1/2 cup in a large load made a huge difference and it is $3.00 for a 4lb box.

For years people have used Mrs. Stewart's bluing to make whites look whiter. I have just recently started using it & it does seem to help. BJ

October 22, 2009 Flag

We all need to stop using bleach! Not only is it bad for our environment but also for personal health! There are plenty of bleach alternatives that are not harmful

Fabric Whitening: 1/2 cup vinegar and a 1/2 cup of baking soda for one load of wash

Disinfecting: Hydrogen Peroxide

All Purpose Cleanser: Mix equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle

Or here's a recipe for all three chores:

• 12 cups water
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1 cup hydrogen peroxide

Pour some in a spray bottle for overall cleaning and add 2 cups for each wash load.

Source: I was recently diagnosed with Emphysema and my lungs can no longer tolerate harsh chemicals so I started doing homework on the net for alternatives.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Answers:

Chlorine Bleach Alternatives

There are also commercial bleach alternatives, I just bought one today from Safeway, says it breaks down to water and oxygen. We'll see how it does, I rarely use bleach but sometimes it's the only thing that works, so I'm hoping this alternative will work. I'd pay more for it (though it was a good price at Safeway) if it's better for the environment. (08/16/2009)

By michawnpita

Chlorine Bleach Alternatives

I would love to stop using bleach but I'm on a budget. Wanted to use peroxide in my wash but a bottle doesn't go very far. I do use vinegar in the wash; it softens the clothes but doesn't seem to do much for whitening. My underpants get stained and seems nothing will whiten like bleach. (08/17/2009)

By TXBetty

Chlorine Bleach Alternatives

I would just like to point out that mixing vinegar and baking soda neutralizes them and creates salt water. I suspect that just baking soda would whiten to a small extent, but the combo isn't going to do much. I know many people will swear by it, but chemically, it simply doesn't make sense. If you want salt water, add salt to the water! (08/18/2009)

By louel53

Chlorine Bleach Alternatives

I am giggling because salt water does indeed have a bleaching effect. Ever seen a beach comber or a surfer's hair? I grew up in L.A. near the beach and hair and cotton swim suits definitely were bleached from the salt water, including mine :-) Yep, basic baking soda and vinegar might not have as big of an effect as chlorine bleach but it's a heck of a lot safer. (08/18/2009)

By Deeli

Chlorine Bleach Alternatives

I use baking soda and white vinegar as a drain cleaner for my bathroom sink. Seeing that the combination fizzes up, I would guess that it would help to clean/whiten clothes. (08/21/2009)

By Maryeileen

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Washing light colored laundry without chlorine bleach.
Chlorine Bleach Alternatives for Laundry
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes General PurposeOctober 22, 2009
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Bleach Bottle
Getting Rid of Bleach Smell
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Child's hand picking an English daisy in the lawn.
Alternatives to Having a Lawn
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 7:14:15 AM on 10.0.0.96 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.