Clothes Dryer Isn't Heating Properly

How do you repair a dryer that isn't heating properly?

Nora from Grand Rapids, MI

Have you used this dryer in the same place for a while? Check the heating element , the power cord or the breaker that it is attached too.

You may need to check the thermostat too.

Recently my Mom thought her clothes dryer was not heating properly. I referred her to this site which describes how a dryer works and how important it is to not just empty the lint filter but to clean (wash) it as well. She washed the filter and her dryer is operating correctly now. http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/dryer.asp

Hope your problem might be this simple.

My dryer quit drying clothes too. My husband unplugged it, took the back panel off, and found two thermostates in the back. He replaced both and it works great now. They were about $32 dollars apiece at the hardware store. He replaced one and it wasn't the right one and we got the other one and that was the problem. We took the one that wasn't the problem back and got our money back. Good luck and be careful being sure to unplug it before working on it.

It could be the thermostat.

Does it tumble? if not it could need a belt.

It may need to be cleaned out--take the bottom panel off and vacuum out the lint from under the drum.

Check the vent to see if it's clogged or crushed.

If you are using the dryer sheets, they can cause a build-up on your lint screen. You won't even see it on the lint screen. To test for the build-up, take the lint screen out, removing all lint. Then, hold the screen under the faucet and put a little bit of water in the screen. If the water puddles, your screen is clogged from dryer sheets. If the water goes through the screen like it's a sieve, then, I would check on other hints that have to do with the thermostat, etc. This one, costs nothing to check/replace, so may want to try it first. This is the reason I never use dryer sheets, as convenient as they may be.

New element. You can change it.

I recently had the same problem and had someone come and clean out the dryer vent that goes out the window. An incredible amount of lint was removed and it is working much better. It did cost about $100.00 but is a lot cheaper than a new heating element. It can also be a fire hazard, best to get it cleaned out. Maybe you can find a kit to do it yourself. Good luck!

Check these in order:

1. Lint filter-wash with dish soap and warm water.

2. Clean the dryer vent line.

3. Heating element burnt. Buy the assembly- it costs a little more than a new element, but much quicker and easier to install.

4. Check thermostats and limit switch (could be 2 or more).

Here is a very helpful repair site for all appliances, including a free repair forum to get expert help. I've fixed our fridge, range, washer, and dryer using it-

http://fixitnow.com/diy-help-sitelet/

Even if the problem is just your lint screen or something else, it's good to clean the whole vent system out. Lint easily gets past the screen. Clean the opening where the lint screen goes, as well as anything you can get to inside the dryer from the vent pipe attachment point, and the vent pipe from the dryer to where it exits the house. There are brushes sold at home centers for this purpose.

I feel that my dryer hasn't been working as well lately . . . I'm going to look farther into this. Thanks for the hints!

Home and Garden Repair Appliances Clothing DryersMarch 10, 2009
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
Wood Burning Stove
Heating with Wood
clothes dryer
Dryer Isn't Drying Clothes
Insulating Your Home, Insulation Ready to Be Installed
Insulating Your Home
🎉
🎄