Fixing a Bathtub Drain

I have a bathtub lever that goes up and down, but recently the lever won't lift up the drain cover to let the water run out. How can I fix this?

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

I just had this problem this morning and searched online for a solution, which is how I stumbled on this page. My lever would go up and down, but would not release the plug to drain the tub. I took the lever mechanism apart and the plug was not attached.

My grabber tool would not work, so I tried a c-hook and opened it a bit more using a pair of pliers. Then I wrapped the screw-end of the c-hook with string, and lowered it into the hole. Somehow I hooked the plug on the very first attempt, and it pulled right out. Before I reattached the fixture, I used the pliers to close the hook around the plug so that it didn't dislodge again. Good luck!

I just took mine apart, and it's not that hard, (although I'm not sure how to fix it. There's some interesting information at: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=Improve/RepTubDrn.html that seems to have an illustration of the drain.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Orange gloved hands removing hair from a bath tub drain
Fixing a Bathtub Drain
Home and Garden Repair Home BathroomApril 2, 2009
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Photo of decals stuck to the bottom of a bathtub.
Removing Bathtub Decals
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Clearing a Clogged Bathtub Drain, Pulling Hair From Clogged Drain
Clearing a Clogged Bathtub Drain
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 25, 2016 at 4:09:50 AM on 10.0.0.92 in 275 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.