Fixing a Bathtub Drain

I have a bathtub lever that goes up and down, but recently the lever won't lift up the drain cover to let the water run out. How can I fix this?

Best Answer

I just had this problem this morning and searched online for a solution, which is how I stumbled on this page. My lever would go up and down, but would not release the plug to drain the tub. I took the lever mechanism apart and the plug was not attached.

My grabber tool would not work, so I tried a c-hook and opened it a bit more using a pair of pliers. Then I wrapped the screw-end of the c-hook with string, and lowered it into the hole. Somehow I hooked the plug on the very first attempt, and it pulled right out. Before I reattached the fixture, I used the pliers to close the hook around the plug so that it didn't dislodge again. Good luck!

I just took mine apart, and it's not that hard, (although I'm not sure how to fix it. There's some interesting information at: that seems to have an illustration of the drain.

Orange gloved hands removing hair from a bath tub drain
Fixing a Bathtub Drain
Home and Garden Repair Home BathroomApril 2, 2009
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Using a Tub Drain Remover
Using a Tub Drain Remover
Clearing a Clogged Bathtub Drain, Pulling Hair From Clogged Drain
Clearing a Clogged Bathtub Drain