Browsing: Making Your Own Curtain Rods

Copper Pipe Curtain Rods

I have gotten so many compliments on my cheap copper pipe curtain rods and curtains so I wanted to pass this idea on. One of our windows in our home is over 7 feet long. We could not afford a curtain rod or curtains, so I chose a copper pipe (about $3.35) cut to length with gold brackets, two nicely finished table cloths ($7.99) as curtains (on sale of course) hung by metal circles with clips ($13.99) which can be purchased at any of the "mart" stores and small floral arrangements ($1.00 rummage sale finds) taped into the pipe's ends as the finials.

I also used this same idea with our sliding glass door but found an old, lovely cloth shower curtain. This is a different, outstanding, and unique look that can be made to fit any decor. Enjoy! I never thought this cheap could look this good.

Karaof4

Editor's Note: These prices are from 2004, when the tip was originally posted. The price of copper has steadily increased in the intervening years and would be more expensive today.

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I had a similar problem with a very small window. My window was not only small 14 inches wide by about 12 inches tall, but it was surrounded by drywall (it was in an old house that had a block wall foundation on the first floor and the window was indented into the block wall). I used eye hooks to hold a copper pipe (or you could even use a dowel rod) on the "wall" above the window...this gave an effect of hanging down from the indented area. I then used shower curtain holders and two tan cloth napkins I found on clearance. The napkins had a small crochet area near the edge - I used the holes to place the shower curtain holder through. I not only had the perfect size curtain, but I spent hardly anything! I even added a nice touch to the theme of the room by using shower curtain rods with a lighthouse on it!!!! I even got more creative by using left over, cheap, broken floor tiles from a friend's project to create a tan/beige mozaic window ledge! This inexpensive project was one of the key selling points when I sold my house. I must admit that I miss the masterpiece that I created in that bathroom, but thanks to this site, I now have many more ideas for my "new" house!!!

I hot glued glass christmas balls onto the ends.

I made a great looking bay window curtan pole using 2" plastic piping! Had some spare curtain rings that fitted on the pipe perfectly - cost £7 instead of £40

Those of you who care to share your ideas really do inspire those of us who do not have any.

Just reading your descriptions has inspired me and improved my thinking on options.

Thanks for being geneorus enough to share.

I have problems visualizing things. Do any of you have pics that you could post? I'd really appreciate seeing your good ideas.

Curtain Rod
Making Your Own Curtain Rods
Make Your Own MiscellaneousDecember 28, 2004
Copper Kitchen Sink
Considering a Copper Kitchen Sink
Shower Curtain Rod
Uses for Shower Curtain Rods
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Copper Pots
Cleaning Copper Pots and Pans
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 8:55:52 AM on 10.0.0.107 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.