Thrifty Curtain Rods - Electrical Conduit

Using electrical conduit to hang your curtains is super inexpensive and it has that industrial look. It can be purchased at your home improvement store in 10 foot lengths for a little more than a dollar for the entire piece. You can easily cut to fit with a simple pipe cutter or hacksaw. Remember to file down ends.

Then use larger screw eyes or hooks mounted into the wall or window frame to slide the conduit through. Lastly, I purchase inexpensive rubber furniture feet for outdoor patio furniture; these I put on the ends of conduit to prevent it from sliding out of the wall hooks. :)

By Pam Irie

I do the same thing! I get the plastic PVC pipe, it's white and you can buy the end caps for a dime and for a corner I even did a 90 degree turn, with the connector for that... super easy and cheap.
I'm thinking of making some kind of trellis for the yard this summer with it too.

Cool ideas! You could use rebar as a curtain rod. It has that rustic look.

By Kris (Guest Post)

Good idea! Another idea is dowels and l-brackets. Use two l-brackets on each side. The first l-bracket gets screwed into the wall, then the second is connected with a screw. The screw goes through the hole that connects the two brackets, but doesn't actually screw into anything, it allows the outer l-bracket to rest at an angle providing a support for the dowel.

Then you can use a dowel for a curtain road. Screw it into the l-bracket for stability or just use a longer dowel that rests on the angle crook of the bracket.

Another method I've used for a doorway is thin braided wire through eye hooks. It works best with a thiner curtain that's not too heavy.