Microwave Dinner for One

This isn't exactly a recipe but I like to make my own microwave dinners.

I boil a packet of mini carrots, fry a panful of onions, mushrooms, peppers, etc. Flash freeze each vegetable in ice cube containers. Put into separate Rubbermaid boxes and keep in the freezer.

When I want a meal, I take a few cubes of each vegetable onto a microwave plate and microwave for a few minutes, then add whatever cold meat or fish I have on hand.

I cook salmon, tilapia, etc. and flash freeze these and put them in containers in the freezer. I also buy already roasted chickens or turkey breasts (from Sweetbay), cut them into portions and again flash freeze and put into containers.

A quick and easy meal without daily preparation.

By Gwyneth from Plant City, FL

what does flash freeze mean?

This is an excellent idea for people who cook for one. Perhaps it could be adapted for elderly people, to have someone else do the preparation, and all the older person would have to do is the microwave part.

Great idea. I am a homemaker for the elderly and I have a 92yr old client that I cook for. I will need to do this for him, as I am only there a couple times a week. Thanks for sharing.

Flash freezing refers to the freezing technique where you lay out something individually, usually on a cookie sheet, then once it is frozen, you remove from the cookie sheet and store in something more freezer-space-friendly such as a Ziploc or plastic container.

Things that are often flash frozen include hamburger patties, berries, chicken nuggets or strips and french toast or waffles.

I also freeze bacon this way in one-serving portions.

Gwyneth, you are a very smart lady to make cooking for one person as easy as possible. I have always thought about how difficult it would be to eat well when cooking for one. This is a great idea. Thanks!

Food and Recipes Food Tips Microwave CookingNovember 6, 2008
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Quiche Being Served on White Plate
Microwave Quiche Recipes
microwave
Microwave Peanut Brittle Recipes
🎄
🍂