Using Grass Clippings That Have Weed Killer On Them

I like to use newspapers and grass clipping in my vegetable garden for mulch. I would like to know if I can use grass clippings from a lawn that has been treated with a weed and feed or crabgrass preventer. If I can, how long after being treated can I use them?

Bonnie from Avoca, NE

Best Answer

I have been using grass clippings as mulch in my veggie garden for many years. While we have changed to organic "weed & feed" products over the years, I have always done this. Generally, we wait until the lawn has been cut twice before adding to our garden, to make sure I am not getting any product into my veggie gardens. I have never found the clippings to impede the gardens growth in any way & it does a wonderful job of keeping moisture in & weeds out. (I never have to weed my veggie gardens)Then it just decomposes into the soil & enriches it even more. I have several raised beds that are filled with compost that we make from our donkey/goat/chicken manure & kitchen/garden waste etc.

God Bless

Trish in CT

Best Answer

No one should use those chemicals in a place where people and pets walk. Do not put them on your garden. Even grass that has been cut several times still has the chemicals in it because they are in the soil the grass grew in. Just like it will be in the soil of your garden.

I guess I would just do the experiment. Plant some nasturtium seed in the area mulched by that grass and see how it grows. Repeat until you get normal plants.

You really should NOT use treated clippings in your vegetable garden.

In These Guides
A lawn mower mowing the grass.
Uses for Grass Clippings
Grass Clippings On Sidewalk
Home and Garden Gardening CompostingJune 4, 2008
Homemade Weed Killer Recipes
Homemade Weed Killer Recipes
Little girl on the beach wearing a grass skirt.
Making Grass Skirts
Dollar Weed
Getting Rid of Dollar Weed
Ants on the wall of a house.
Homemade Ant Killer Recipes
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 15, 2017 at 5:14:19 PM on 10.0.1.142 in 954 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.