Removing Drink Rings on Veneer

Removing white ring water marks on polished wood. The stain is caused by trapped water underneath the surface which needs to be dried out. Cover with a plain dish-towel and then point a hairdryer over the towel 15 cm from the stain for ten to fifteen minutes, rubbing every so often with a soft cloth.

Another tip is to soak a cloth or slice of bread with a 50:50 mixture of turpentine and linseed oil, put it over the stain and leave overnight.

Source: From the Guardian newspaper.

By Lucy L. from England, UK

I used the above hairdryer tip and then added a little teak oil on a soft cloth. Lo and behold, two very nasty, heavy marks came out like magic!

The obvious thing to say, of course, is that I could easily have prevented the marks with just a little forethought. A hot milk jug and a coffee percolator aren't likely to improve a veneered surface any time soon! Fontes

March 15, 2010 Flag

How do I remove drink marks (spirits) from a wood veneered surface? The furniture has been polished with bee's wax.

By Leif from Liverpool, UK

February 10, 2010 Flag

I have a couple of white ring marks on my dining table. It is veneer, would the iron and cloth technique work?

Cup Stain on Wood
Removing Cup Rings from Wood Furniture
Home and Garden Repair Furniture TablesMarch 15, 2010
Wood Veneer Drawer
Refinishing Wood Veneer Furniture
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making an Orc Costume (Lord of the Rings)
diamond ring
Fixing Rings That Are Too Big