Irish Champ Potatoes

Just in time for St. Patrick's Day! This recipe is native to Northern Ireland and served as the main dish! Be forewarned that butter is the substitute for gravy and that the potatoes are eaten with a spoon from the outside of the plate inwards with each spoonful dipped into the well of butter ;-)

• 4 lbs. potatoes
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 cups green onions, chopped
  • 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Peel and quarter potatoes and cook in boiling water.

Meanwhile, simmer the milk and green onions in a saucepan for two minutes; add one half of the butter and simmer for three more minutes. Melt the other half of butter in a separate saucepan for serving.

Drain potatoes in a colander, return to pot, mash thoroughly, add the milk, green onion and butter mixture, season with salt and pepper, and mix well.

Pile the potatoes onto individual plates with a well made with the back of a spoon in the center of each. Equally distribute the melted butter into the center of each well and serve.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

For shame Deeli, for tempting us with something that is so bad for us! LOL! My mouth is watering right now! I can remember eating potatoes like this when I was a kid, except they didn't put green onion in it, but I bet it makes it taste even better!

Hi lyonpridej :-) What I love about this recipe that sets it apart, of course other than all that butter - LOL, is that the green onions simmering in the milk for five minutes adds so much more overall flavor to the potatoes :-)

Corned beef and cabbage.
Irish Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes PotatoesMarch 8, 2011
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Irish Potato Soup
Irish Potato Soup Recipes
Irish Beef Stew
Irish Beef Stew Recipes